Mystery Crochet Objects- Please help identify

I was hoping you could tell me what these crocheted pieces are:think. My mother and I found them in my grandmother's kitchen linens when we were cleaning and we are just stumped as to what they are :thair. The links takes you to a Flickr website, the photo is public-you don't need an account to view it. I also posted it on Facebook and various friends thought it a pot holder as well as a Kleenex cover. It seems too narrow for a pot holder or a tissue box cover. It is about 15-16 inches long and 3.5 inches wide; they are both crocheted with a fine thread.

Cheryl J

Image of both pieces

Close up Detail

View on top of a pot

I was hoping you could tell me what these crocheted pieces are:think. My mother and I found them in my grandmother's kitchen linens when we were cleaning and we are just stumped as to what they are :thair. The links takes you to a Flickr website, the photo is public-you don't need an account to view it. I also posted it on Facebook and various friends thought it a pot holder as well as a Kleenex cover. It seems too narrow for a pot holder or a tissue box cover. It is about 15-16 inches long and 3.5 inches wide; they are both crocheted with a fine thread.

Cheryl J

Image of both pieces

Close up Detail

View on top of a pot

Cheryl, I am afraid I don't know what your crocheted items are but please, do add some spaces or something to your e-address. Or take it off and just ask someone to respond in this thread or by private message (PM). I kind of get the willies when I see someone's address for any troll to pick up.

Hope you find your answer!

i can see a lot of uses for something like that, though not sure what your grandmother's specific intention might have been. as your 3rd picture shows, or a tissue box top (to pull tissues through), perhaps as a panel for a cross over front of something (where 1 side pulls through the slit, as a way to hold closed). perhaps even as part of a shoe, where you stick your foot in the slit once the sides are closed. good luck on figuiring it out

Hmm it looks like there are loops on each long end?

Maybe those go under some speical container to carry. It looks like the centers are strechedba bit so it looks like it would work.....

Leave it on the pot the way you have it take one end go under the pot, up and aroundthe other sidego under the top of the piece loop over the glass pot handle, take the other go under the pot but over the other side to the top and loop on to the glass handle...

Sorry for spelling I am on the iPod...

M

I have seen patterns like this poking in my nannas books and internet...

I hope this info helps

Know what else you could use it for? A hanger cover! Slip the neck of the hanger through the slit in the middle and drape the long narrow sides over the plastic or metal "shoulders." Use the loops at the end to hook on to the little hooks sometimes built into hangers et voila! Hanger cover. :)

Not saying that's what they were for, but maybe they could be used that way. :)

I'm wondering if maybe she had some kind of basket that this fit over - either to hold kleenex or a pot. Or even, a small picnic basket, like to take to those old fashioned box lunch auctions. Have you tried perusing one of those vintage pattern sites? I sure everyone here would love to know the answer. Do you have a local historic society? Maybe someone there would know.

my first thought was a crockpot-cover keeper. There's probably a real name for it, and I'm probably way off...but the little loops on the ends would go around the handles of a crockpot, and the slit would go over the knob on the lid, keeping everything in place for potlucks (etc)... you know, like those rubber ones some of the newer pots come with?

I wonder if it isn't a roaster pot cover based on size alone. Like the big blue speckled roasters - those are very long and it would make sense in having the longer slit because those handles tend to be long, not knobs.

These are all great ideas! My fear is that all this work was made for a specific type of pot and we'll never be able to use it without that darn pot(s). The other point of question is why it's only 3 1/2-ish wide? Also the loops are quite small, like a button size, not exactly handle size. Ugh. I could actually see using it as a hanger cover like Amydepew suggested, I just wouldn't see any of the work. There really aren't any of her friends left to ask, they have passed away, particularly the lady whom I think made them. My grandma is alive, however she is in a nursing home and sadly is rarely lucid to remember such things. I will keep my eye on this forum, in hopes there is someone who has that A-ha! moment.

Take them to your grandma, maybe it will spark a memory. It does look like a hot pot cover/carrier - put it on the pot (like you have) and ends are pot holders. Clothes hanger covers have smaller holes and are crocheted closed around the hanger.

Hope you get an answer.

Ellie 13

• 3 weeks later...

It could have been used around the bottom one of those footed tureens with the fingerlike handles so the bowl could be passed around the table more easily without burning your hands.

Archived