Etsy or Ravelry... Best place to buy pattern?

Katie G

Good morning,

Wasn't sure where to post this question, but here goes.

There is a pattern I want to buy that is listed on both Ravelry and Etsy.

Now I have ordered patterns from Etsy before, but never Ravelry.

Are there any differences or advantages in ordering from one vs the other as far as how fast you receive the pattern, etc?

Inquiring minds want to know! :hook

If the pattern is actually being sold directly on Ravelry, purchasing there gives you the ability to download the pattern immediately. With Etsy, I believe you have to wait for the seller to either email the pattern to you or send you a download link.

Also with Ravelry, if you ever accidentally delete the pattern from your hard drive or have an unrecoverable drive crash, you can download the pattern again at any time.

Thank you Debra and Amy for responding so quickly!

Amy, this is exactly what I wanted to know and off to Ravelry I go! :lol

Can you tell I have no patience at all? I'll eyeball a pattern for weeks, pondering it, but when I decide I want it, I want it now!!! :hook

I never have purchased patterns from Ravelry, I wasn't sure about how it worked. So I always purchased from Etsy. I always wanted to know the difference as well, thanks for clarifying that.

Carol:hook

If the pattern is actually being sold directly on Ravelry, purchasing there gives you the ability to download the pattern immediately. With Etsy, I believe you have to wait for the seller to either email the pattern to you or send you a download link.

Also with Ravelry, if you ever accidentally delete the pattern from your hard drive or have an unrecoverable drive crash, you can download the pattern again at any time.

Thank you all for your input.

I purchased two patterns today on Ravelry and love, love, love the fact that they were instantly available and the ordering process was so fast.

Maybe this isn't such a good thing, after all. :lol LOL

Both reasons are why I LOVE getting my patterns through Ravelry whenever possible! Etsy is only a 2nd option, when I simply can NOT find what I want through Ravelry.

Both reasons are why I LOVE getting my patterns through Ravelry whenever possible! Etsy is only a 2nd option, when I simply can NOT find what I want through Ravelry.

Same for me. Ravelry is always first. I love the fact that on ravelry if I can't afford the pattern yet I can store it in my library to be easily found later when I can afford it. Then again maybe that isn't so good at least not for my check book. :lol

• 5 months later...

I have patterns on both Etsy and Ravelry.

As a seller, Ravelry is my first choice, since I don't have to send the pattern myself - Ravelry takes care of that, so I can still sell patterns even while I'm on vacation (I hate having to "work" while I'm on vacation).

Also, I have patterns on Ravelry that I don't have on Etsy - for example, all my free patterns are on Ravelry but not on Etsy - I don't want to pay a listing fee for something I'm giving away.

Also, a nice feature of Ravelry, if I find an error in a pattern and issue an update, Ravelry asks if I'd like to send a note to those who've purchased the pattern, something I have to keep track of in my email for Etsy.

The best part about buying on Ravelry is that you get to save a copy in your online Ravelry Library! That way, if you ever lose the copy you have sent to your email, or your computer crashes, or you acidently delete some files, you always have a copy in your Ravelry Library that you can download again.

I save all of my free Ravelry patterns in my library too. I can browse through those patterns and see the picture of the project instead of just a file name on my computer files. It helps a lot when picking the next project or looking for the best pattern of a particular item. I love Ravelry! So many benefits searching for the right pattern, yarn, or designer!

Archived