Bavarian (Wheel Stitch) Afghan

jillkap

is this the same as a wool eater? or is it different? looks the same to me but what do i know.

Yes it is, the Wool Eater/Wheel Stitch/Bavarian Crochet are all the same thing.

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate your comments :clap

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WOW!

What colors did you use?

Is this Red Heart yarn?

It's absolutely beautiful!

I used Red Heart yarn and Caron one pound yarn. Here are the colors from the center outward:

1-Amethyst (red heart)

2-Orchid (red heart)

3-Light Grey (red heart)

4-Pale Green (caron)

5-Soft Sage (caron)

6-Real Teal (red heart)

7-Aqua (red heart)

8-Sky Blue (caron)

9-Medium Purple (red heart)

If you use the super saver skeins, you should be able to get away with one skein for each color... you might need more yarn for the second half of the third round of the scheme because of the size of the rounds.

I repeated the color scheme 3 times except I changed the third round of medium purple. I did not do the full wheel stitch on this round; instead I did one round of: (hdc, dc, trb, trb, dc, hdc) where each cluster would have been made (I did an hdc around each trb st in the corner). This gave me separate stitches for each stitch made. Then I did one round each of sc's in Amethyst and Orchid. (sorry if this is confusing, I'm not very good at writing patterns :think) I liked using this border bc I thought it finished off the afghan better than the full wheel stitch (which kind of curls)... I also did not have enough Medium Purple to do a full third round hehe so I improvised!!

That looks really lovely.

Is that the same stitch that's used in a Wool Eater Afghan, I wonder? It looks kind of similar (I haven't made either, to be honest.) ETA - I missed the post above. It IS the Wool Eater! :-)

I also wonder why it's called the Bavarian Stitch? I have to Google the background to that ... I'm actually in Bavaria and the only works I've seen in this stitch have been by Americans or Australians :lol Is it a traditional stitch that has fallen out of fashion over here?? I have to do some research!

I also wonder why it's called the Bavarian Stitch? I have to Google the background to that ... I'm actually in Bavaria and the only works I've seen in this stitch have been by Americans or Australians :lol Is it a traditional stitch that has fallen out of fashion over here?? I have to do some research!

That's very interesting... maybe because "Bavarian Crochet" sounds more sophisticated than "American Crochet" :P haha I really don't know

Beautiful - love the effect of the stitching. I have never attempted that technique - is it easy to do?

It's very easy, it's the same stitch throughout the whole thing, after the first few rows you really get the hang of it!! :)

The colors in this afghan are the very reason I bought the Learn to Do Bavarian Stitch Crochet Book. When I saw this afghan and the colors in this pattern book, I just had to buy it to make one just like it. I wonder how many people are making the exact same afghan, colors and all, because of this book? :lol

The colors in this afghan are the very reason I bought the Learn to Do Bavarian Stitch Crochet Book. When I saw this afghan and the colors in this pattern book, I just had to buy it to make one just like it. I wonder how many people are making the exact same afghan, colors and all, because of this book? :lol

Are you talking about the purple/green/yellow motif?? I LOVE that too :manyheart I switched the yellow out for blue because my mom love blue. I just love how the blanket comes out... if more people do them we should make a gallery so we can see all the different color motifs side by side!!:cheer

Are you talking about the purple/green/yellow motif?? I LOVE that too :manyheart I switched the yellow out for blue because my mom love blue. I just love how the blanket comes out... if more people do them we should make a gallery so we can see all the different color motifs side by side!!:cheer

Yes, I love that one! BUT....after seeing yours....I think I like the colors you used better. I will have to check my stash and see what I come up with. We should post all the different color combinations for this afghan!:lol

Yes, I love that one! BUT....after seeing yours....I think I like the colors you used better. I will have to check my stash and see what I come up with. We should post all the different color combinations for this afghan!:lol

That's a great idea!! I want to make a baby afghan using this pattern and Caron Simply Soft yarn (only because I already have it!!) Now I just need to wait for someone to get pregnant... :lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived