marking place in pattern

Have you thought of putting your pattern in a slick pattern protector and then you use a wet erase marker to mark it? Not tried it, but I just thought of it. Usually I make a photo copy and use post it notes... so I can write on the pattern and move the post-it along as needed and to keep track of multiple rows.

Thanks. I think I have a page protector, so I can try that. I have occasionally used a post it.

I made a magnet strip, but it wasn't very user friendly to move around. I used it on a photocopy and it might work better on a book.

When I used to cross stitch, I would make a photocopy and then use a highlighter to go over the parts I had finished. Maybe work with crochet? Highlight the row you are on or the row you just finished.

When I used to cross stitch, I would make a photocopy and then use a highlighter to go over the parts I had finished. Maybe work with crochet? Highlight the row you are on or the row you just finished.

That sounds like it would work well with the afghan pattern I'm about it start. It's filet and is written, no chart, so it is pretty long.

Thanks

I use either a paper clip along the side of the pattern page or I make hash marks on a sheet of paper. Think I'll get a dry erase and try that as all my patterns are in sleeves. Thanks for the suggestion, always looking for new tips and techniques.

I have tried more things to mark my place then I can remember, but the simplest thing I have found that works great is a post it. It's the 3 x 3 size and it's great. I just stick it under the row I'm on and there you go. I can even write something on it to remember for next time if I run across any issue with the pattern or want to change something. I buy the cheaper yellow ones and just keep the pad in my bag.

I use a relative of the postit, a 'flag', it's meant as a bookmark that you can write on.

It's a rectangle roughly 1"x2". Half of it is clear & sticky on 1 side, the other half is a color and not sticky. I cut them lengthwise to make 4 or 5 skinny markers, then with a pencil mark an arrow at the edge of the clear part. It stays put, and works really well with charts as you can see thru it and can mark an individual stitch if you should want to. One of the 'skinny' markers has enough re-stickeyness to last for 1 pattern usage.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just used a highlighter on a photocopy of a pattern with long rows. Used different colors to break it into sections. That worked well.

I'll definitely get my post-its back out, too.

After trying lots of elaborate ways of marking (some magnetic gadgets I purchased), I still go back to good old sticky notes. They're portable and disposable, and you can write on them.

Something that also makes a pattern easier to follow: If I'm using a pattern I found online, I always reformat for better readability before printing out. I switch to a typeface I like (12-point Comic Sans), make sure the type is black not light-colored, mark the words Row 1 or Round 1 in boldface, put extra space between text for rows and rounds, then put everything in two columns. Narrow columns are far easier to read. Also, when filing online, I try to remember to make the first word of the title, or filename, a key word that I'll remember when searching.

I do the same with online recipes. All these things help particularly with aging eyes!

Like RoseRed I use a pencil. Cheap, readily available and eraseable. What's not to like? If I am pretty sure I will be putting a pattern down for a while I write the date and row # beside that row, just to be sure I know where to start again. When I begin a pattern I also record on it what yarn or thread I used and exactly which hook achieved gauge. Saves a lot of headache later. (Ask me how I learned to do this...)

Like RoseRed I use a pencil. Cheap, readily available and eraseable. What's not to like? If I am pretty sure I will be putting a pattern down for a while I write the date and row # beside that row, just to be sure I know where to start again. When I begin a pattern I also record on it what yarn or thread I used and exactly which hook achieved gauge. Saves a lot of headache later. (Ask me how I learned to do this...)

I'll ask... How did you learn this? I want to compare learning experiences. ;)

I know what you mean! I have a sock pattern in a bag somewhere that I started over a year ago and haven't talked myself into digging out because I'll probably have to rip it all out and start over.

Archived