5-10 pt. Starburst Round Ripple CAL

LadiBug329

Lavalamps...i always wanted one but my mom would never let me have one...said it was not very ladylike (i grew up in the 70's and she graduated in the 60's). I grew up very naive about everything...learned the most when i moved away from the area only 7 years ago!! Wow...did i live life in a closet!!!

I think its so cool how everything i grew up around has come back in the last couple years.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would imagine the extra points you added were a bit of a challenge since they weren't written in the pattern. Is that why you were having some issue with it ruffling, b/c of the extra points? I'm at 38" on my first RR with this pattern, and I've had no problems with it ruffling....it lays flat without having to smooth it down.

And then there's all those weaving/darning in the ends. :( i don't like weaving in the ends... :blush

Hey Ladi... the extra points make it necessary to do a dc, ch2, dc on the points more often than the shell that the pattern calls for every two out of 3 rows. I was still following the pattern which is why I was getting the ruffling. Now, I'm just doing the shell points when I feel like the points are starting to turn up. When that happens I throw in a row with the shell and then go back to the 1dc points. It seems to be working.

oooh, okay. Well thats cool that you have it so its not ruffling.

The blankie i have started for Kylee is a circle to square pattern and i have re-done it a couple times to make sure i'm following the pattern right (and it seems like i am) because it keeps ruffling. So, i have it out and getting ready to frog it to start on this pattern for her in the same colors.

Amy - you one an awesome instinctual crocheter.

oh well - so much for the walmart run. DD started crying and telling me how awful she feels. she's turning red and feels like she's burning up even tho she doesn't have a fever yet. Our doc is off till Monday so I called the ins co and found another one near-by to take her in. I'm sure it'll be anti-biotics and I certainly do'nt want to wait till Monday.

So much for a lazy day off.

hmmm just got an email from the yarn shop at the beach...she says she can still order the vari yarn that i need for the 1st Starburst RR i have started. Called to say yes, please if you can order it. She's placing the order on Monday. ~~Fingers crossed~~

Amy - you one an awesome instinctual crocheter.

I just wish my grandmother knew. I wish I'd really gotten more into this while she was alive. She's the reason I started doing it. She knew kind of... I showed her one thing. It was terrible, but she was so thrilled. She had tears in her eyes when I pulled it out. She said, "Who made this???" And when I said "Me." she threw her head back in the wheelchair like "Thank God, someone has bothered to learn!" and then just smiled so big and had those tears. I wish she could see the things I've done and how much I've learned. She'd be so proud. I was given all her crochet hooks a several months ago. She died in April of 2008.

awww that is just awesome Amy. My grandmother taught me too, but never lived to see me do anything with it. How cool for you to have her hooks...i'm sure you will cherish them always.

awww that is just awesome Amy. My grandmother taught me too, but never lived to see me do anything with it. How cool for you to have her hooks...i'm sure you will cherish them always.

A week or so ago my aunt gave me all of my grandmother's old pattern books, too. My grandmother didn't teach me... I heard horror stories of her trying to teach my aunt and since I adored my grandmother I didn't want anything to make me angry at her, so I taught myself. Like I said, the thing I showed her was awful, but she was so happy. I still have it... unfinished... sometime I should just slap a border on it as is so that I always have that tangible memory of showing it to her.

I may have to put aside the starburst I'm working on... since the wedding isn't until October... and start a new one. I just volunteered to make something for a silent auction to benefit a former classmate of mine that has a brain tumor. The benefit is Feb 27th. Must prioritize.

I just wish my grandmother knew. I wish I'd really gotten more into this while she was alive. She's the reason I started doing it. She knew kind of... I showed her one thing. It was terrible, but she was so thrilled. She had tears in her eyes when I pulled it out. She said, "Who made this???" And when I said "Me." she threw her head back in the wheelchair like "Thank God, someone has bothered to learn!" and then just smiled so big and had those tears. I wish she could see the things I've done and how much I've learned. She'd be so proud. I was given all her crochet hooks a several months ago. She died in April of 2008.

I know how awesome that feels. I made a lapghan. The worst combination of colors. It was a sampler. I learned a different stitch and put them together with a chain thingy. She LOVED it. She had it on her everyday and she made sure she was buried with it.

I wanted to surprise her with how much I learned on my own and it hurt her feelings so bad because she wanted to pass it on to me. She finally got over watching me work at it and taught me what she remembered.

I'm very sorry for your loss, hun. It's wonderful that you have such a great memory.

I may have to put aside the starburst I'm working on... since the wedding isn't until October... and start a new one. I just volunteered to make something for a silent auction to benefit a former classmate of mine that has a brain tumor. The benefit is Feb 27th. Must prioritize.

Just cuz you need to work on something else doesn't mean you have to leave us, ya know. You're more than welcome to stay and hang and chat. I hope you do.

Way busy day. DD has the flu and they gave her anti-biotics. The doc was really glad I got her in before the fever started. He said this one has a really high fever with it and that he would've expected her to start running one no later than tomorrow.

Hubby's not feeling so great but he went off to work. I got squeezed into the chiro and my neck feels a lot better but it's still killing me. Really slows down my crocheting. I just want to finish this thing already so I can get started on the spidey one.

Way busy day. DD has the flu and they gave her anti-biotics. The doc was really glad I got her in before the fever started. He said this one has a really high fever with it and that he would've expected her to start running one no later than tomorrow.

If its the same strain of flu (the respiratory influenza, not the stomach virus flu) that I've been fighting, yeah its nasty. Make sure she gets plenty of fluids. I know they always say that at the doctors, but I just want to stress it even more. This particular flu, if even slightly dehydrated, makes your brain feel like its boiling. I felt somewhat better yesterday and planned on going back to work today. Didn't drink enough fluids yesterday though and I woke up this morning feeling like my brain was being boiled in hot water.

Other than that, just the normal "rest, sleep, drink fluids". Its nasty and will kick her butt, but once it runs its course, she'll be back to her normal self.

Just cuz you need to work on something else doesn't mean you have to leave us, ya know. You're more than welcome to stay and hang and chat. I hope you do.

I'm going to make a starburst, so I'm not going anywhere. :) I have to take a look at my stash tonight to see what I have.

Evening all.................

Well... I have my pattern ready......... yarn picked out (I think :D) and it all gets put on hold for the day due to hubby being put back in the hospital. He has an infection which they cant exactly pin point... but they need to get it cleared up ASAP!!! So.......... bare with me as I bounce in and out for a while......... and please... if you have a minute... say a prayer for him! :hug... thanks

:heart

:mug

Morning ladies,

What a day yesterday was. A whole lot of hurry up and wait.

Shell - I think she has the same strain. She was so hot (didn't have a fever yet) that she was a laying on the tile floor in shorts and a sports bra trying to cool off. I think it's weird that they're calling it a 'flu' but giving anti-biotics. Hey - whatever works so that she gets better.

I just put on a pot of my Grandmother's chicken soup. She asked for it so she got it. My Grandmother used to call it Jewish penicillin. She'd make it when any of us got sick. I'd make Garlic soup but DD won't eat it.

Amy - so cool that you'll be staying with us.

Tam - I hope they can get hubby fixed up quick.

kook - how big is it now?

crissie - did you decide on your colors yet?

crissie - did you decide on your colors yet?

:lol Funny you should ask...i came here this morning to show off my progress...

:clap:clap:clap

Its at 34" point to point.

I have the rest of the color pattern worked out in my head, but i'm gonna put it here so i don't lose it :rofl

medium green, 3-5 rows

dark green, 5-7 rows

tan, 3-5 rows

light green, 5-7 rows

linen, 2 rows

And then i think it will be big enough to border, probably in the dark green.

I'm so glad i frogged it back and started the colors over. :yay

post-17735-135897622002_thumb.jpg

Geez RoseRed, so sorry DD is sick. Hope the antibiotics keep the worst of it away.

Yummmm homemade soup. I think I'm making some today! I baked a chicken last night, but just not in the mood for blah baked chicken....want something different....so i think it will become soup. MIght use some of it to make a small bowl of chicken salad.

Tam, prayers for your hubby. Hope they can get the infection cleared up quickly.

Amy, could you use the one you have almost finished for the auction and start another one for the wedding gift?

Shell, hope you are feeling better today.

Amy, could you use the one you have almost finished for the auction and start another one for the wedding gift?

The one I'm half done are in the colors of the couple's bedroom that are getting married. So I would have to make two in the same colors and that would just make me bored.

Shell - I think she has the same strain. She was so hot (didn't have a fever yet) that she was a laying on the tile floor in shorts and a sports bra trying to cool off. I think it's weird that they're calling it a 'flu' but giving anti-biotics. Hey - whatever works so that she gets better.

That does sound like the same strain. The night before I went to the DR, my hubby touched my forehead and said "You're burning up woman!" yet the thermometer showed no fever. I wasn't given antibiotics at the dr though, was given something that can help reduce the symptoms but was told basically, have to let it run its course. Normally they give antivirals for influenza. Hope she can kick this fast.

The one I'm half done are in the colors of the couple's bedroom that are getting married. So I would have to make two in the same colors and that would just make me bored.

I agree, that would be boring!! So have you found any colors in your stash for the new one ??

Okeydokey folks here is the almost finished piece :D

43" peak to peak and when I decide upon an edging it will be in the same pale blue as the centre star.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get enough daylight for a decent representation of the colours when its all finished,edged and those darned ends darned in!

Crissie I like the new improved version ;) pretty!

Sorry that Ambi has the flu, poor kid I know exactly how she must be feeling as I've only just got over it myself. I'm sure G'ma's chicken soup will help :hug

post-14036-135897622017_thumb.jpg

I think I officially have it.

Hope you feel better soon :hug

I forgot to say I'm thinking of knitting a bear or a bunny with the scraps to give with the blanket, I think it will look cute with mismatching legs and ears :D

Amy, great start on #2 :)

Here are my last two pics of this one, until the baby is here and I get a pic of it in use ;)

The pic of the edging shows the best representation of the colours used. I'm no photographer and use my phone as a camera.

post-14036-135897622146_thumb.jpg

post-14036-13589762215_thumb.jpg

Archived