Football Player who Crochets

thecrochetdude

Cute! I read a story awhile back about a Marine that knitted. He was stationed in Iraq and his girlfriend taught him before her left...when he was deployed she sent him care packages of yarn and simple patterns. He was trying to work out a M-16 cozy pattern for his buddies, lol

Donna

Yeah that was in the latest issue of Knitty, wasn't it?

lol, yes I just realized that. I was sitting here trying my best to think of where I read it so I could tell Drew (thinking of the new men/knitting book) and just when I was about to post it...I saw your post, lol. Thanks Rachel :hug

Donna

Cute! I read a story awhile back about a Marine that knitted. He was stationed in Iraq and his girlfriend taught him before her left...when he was deployed she sent him care packages of yarn and simple patterns. He was trying to work out a M-16 cozy pattern for his buddies, lol

Donna

Here's the story:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/FEATcool.html

And it's not really surprising. I can imagine that these men and women need something to keep their minds off the reality of the war.

I went into a cross stitching store the other day and met a woman who was in the military for almost 30 years and she used to spend time cross stitching with other soldiers.

I think someone has mentioned that Hawkeye knit socks on M*A*S*H.

I think hobbies have become more important for everyone after 9/11. But I think especially for those who have to keep our nation safe. They have such a responsibility.

When we were in Germany, we use to put together craft kits for the injuried soldiers that came through the hospital. Like a skein of yarn, plastic hook, and simple scarf pattern...or beads and wire to make a bracelet..simple things. It was always a big hit. There are a few organizations that sent kits like those downrange.

During both World Wars, many women knitted socks, sweaters and hats for our Men in uniform. You didn't hear much of it during Korea or Vietnam, although I am sure it was still going on. The Red Cross actually has a kit I want, it's a WW2 kit with the patterns they used, yarn and patterns. It's a neat way to honor our men and women of the past.

Donna

Here's the story:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/FEATcool.html

And it's not really surprising. I can imagine that these men and women need something to keep their minds off the reality of the war.

I went into a cross stitching store the other day and met a woman who was in the military for almost 30 years and she used to spend time cross stitching with other soldiers.

I think someone has mentioned that Hawkeye knit socks on M*A*S*H.

I think hobbies have become more important for everyone after 9/11. But I think especially for those who have to keep our nation safe. They have such a responsibility.

I like his scarf and beanie, but don't bananas plug you up :eek
That's what I thought!!!! I was always told if you are having a problem eat a banana and some carob. That's one banana. He eats 10!!!!!!! Oops. I think that we might be bringing his "problem" out in the open. LOL

GREAT ARTICLE! I was giggling the whole time because I'm trying to imagine this guy at a football meeting crocheting. I mean, sometimes I feel weird crocheting in public and for no good reason. And here's this guy with what appears to be the best confidence in the world as to do it in a male testosterone environment. THAT ROCKS!

When I was a kid, we had a friend that stayed with us during her cancer surgeries, since they lived far from her doctor. Her husband crocheted while she was having tests, appointments and in the evenings at our house. For a very long time, he was the only man that I knew who did any kind of needlework.

Archived