Do you follow a pattern all the way through?

I seem to always be changing something. I'm making a striped bag in crochet for felting for my class, and I've changed the stripe pattern. I'm not following the exact pattern.

I'm also knitting a sweater, and the border is supposed to be in Seed stitch, which I hate doing. So I just made that part in Garter stitch (knit every row).

I just can't seem to follow a pattern exactly. Do You? Or do you change things up to suit your tastes?

:manyheart

It seems that everything I make never looks like the original, so I guess I do change it! I just made a slouch hat for my daughter and changed the stitch from 2 double crochet next to each other to V-stitch. Looks better and no extra math needed!

Well, it's good to see other people change things in their patterns too. I kind of look at patterns as a starting point, to which I can change things as I please, to get something that is original.

What do you think?

:manyheart

I'm working on my first crochet sweater so I'm sticking to the pattern...I actually typed that out before I remembered that I'm making the body of the sweater longer by 5 inches so I'm not even sticking to it this time!

I meant to say that for me it's the same as with baking and cooking recipes, I'll stick to the original the first time and make changes after that, but apparenly that's not always true. My husband is a firm directions follower though, and he was shocked to see my pattern books and cookbooks with so many notes in the margins.

I almost always change something to suit myself. A pattern is just a guideline:lol I also like to use patterns like a sttich dictionary, choosing bits and pieces for other uses. I do love to look at patterns for new construction and stitch ideas.

I do this in both crochet and knitting.

it depends on what it is. I may fallow the pattern. but not use the suggested color or type of yarn, or if i Do not like how a paricular part looks I"ll omit the part i do not like and contnue with the pattern before the said yucky part.

of course I've only been a "pattern user" for not quite a year.. and all my afghans were all "from my brain and my own design" .

I have definitely changed things when crocheting from a pattern, but there are exceptions. I don't follow a pattern for much anymore, usually just things like shawls and I am not talented enough to change them. LOL And, when I use a pattern to make an ami it's usually because I want the exact result, so I don't change anything.

Overall, I used to start with a pattern, but would completely change it in the end, so I just started making things up as I went from start to finish.:)

I think I see patterns as ideas and instructions for how to make shapes and stitches.

Mostly have my own idea first, and then look to patterns to see how others did.

Sometimes I fall in love with a pattern picture, and immediately start thinking of how I want it to turn out.

I am always changing things according to my tastes or what I need but I like patterns for guidelines & ideas. If something is exactly how I want it to be, other than the colors/yarn, I will stick to the pattern though. Example is a RR. I like them just the way they are, but I will change colors, striping etc.

I am usually a pattern changer, mostly because I like using bigger hooks, so I either make it way bigger then the pattern calls for or have to adjust it because of that. I like to do my own thing for boarders also, or if I find a stitch to hard, I will mix it up so i get mostly the same look but easier to do. That being said, I can stick to a pattern (like if I am testing for someone) and there are a few I have memorized and can work without a pattern.

I have learn the hard way though, lol, I usually get ahead of myself (or the pattern) and think i know what i am doing, and sometimes have to go back to frog because I didn't understand it fully first, but that is how you learn, right? :)

Archived