deleted post

I prefer crochet for the same reason you do; my hands cramp when I knit and I can only do the basics. As for knitting big items, I would think they would use the circular needles for those projects and the stitches would slide onto the plastic extension. I have never tried tunisian either---don't know if I could handle all those stitches on one hook!!!

I prefer crochet, but part of that is because I've been crocheting for a lot longer than I've been knitting, and can do a lot more with it. I enjoy knitting, but I'm a lot slower at it and can only do a few basic stitches.

Up until I moved down here 19 years ago, I only knitted. I took up crocheting when I was down here. My nephew got married and I made a bride doll for him and his wife. I have not really picked up a set of needles since. I have made some, but not much.

I prefer to crochet, even though I have to pay attention when I do crochet. When I knit, I really do not have to pay attention.

You are probably holding your needles to tight. That is why your are cramping.:hook

I can knit and crochet but crochet is definitely my first love as I can put a project down in the middle of a row without stitches falling off etc - with 5 kids I often need to spring up immediately (they don't know the meaning of 'just let me finish this row' LOL)

I can do the basic knit and purl and that's it. If I make any kind of mistake, I don't know how to fix it......

Crochet is my love...The past 18 months I have really done well with learning to read patterns, and it is very satisfying to turn out a project that I feel is nice. I say that because I have crocheted since I was a child, and could barely read a pattern and a pair of slippers was my most successful project ever. (about 16 years ago) I am still learning, but I feel good about my projects.

I do both. I prefer crochet for two reasons, I learned crochet first, and the second is that if you make a mistake, you can rip it out easier in crochet.

:manyheart

I prefer crochet, but part of that is because I've been crocheting for a lot longer than I've been knitting, and can do a lot more with it. I enjoy knitting, but I'm a lot slower at it and can only do a few basic stitches.

Me too. Kinda. I learned them both about the same time. Dropping a knitting needle was way too hard for me to figure out how to fix back then so I'd forget the whole thing. (toss it)

I just learned tunisian in the past year or so. It is very easy. Don't let t he many stitches scare you off.

I know how to knit and crochet. I learned knitting first, when I was a teenager (a LONG time ago, ha!) I learned to crochet after I got married, almost 38 years ago. I much prefer crochet. I do knit small items, like dishcloths, etc. But I don't think I would live long enough to knit an afghan. Even though I did a lot of knitting before I learned to crochet, knitting is still much slower for me. I mostly crochet afghans, and I just think the afghans are usually prettier if they are crocheted.

I can knit and crochet but crochet is definitely my first love as I can put a project down in the middle of a row without stitches falling off etc - with 5 kids I often need to spring up immediately (they don't know the meaning of 'just let me finish this row' LOL)

I'm with you I have 5 kids and there are times I too have to spring up suddenly. NOrmaly they will let me finish a row if i dont have to far till thee end... but gesh there are times HUBBY can't waite till I finish a row

Me too. Kinda. I learned them both about the same time. Dropping a knitting needle was way too hard for me to figure out how to fix back then so I'd forget the whole thing. (toss it)

I just learned tunisian in the past year or so. It is very easy. Don't let t he many stitches scare you off.

I agree.. I taught myself to Tunisian less then a year ago. and I recomend Dangle Tunisian hooks. If your hands cramp like mine trying to stuff all them stitches on a stiff hook is torcher. so I invested in some LONG bamboo hooks with the Tube dangle attachment. this fits a Regular size bed afghan NICE!. I started a Graph but got fustrated with the color change.. and put it up for a while

but I TRYED and i stress TRYED to learn knit.. From online video's I get the concept of Casting on.. and inserting the other hook to transfer the stitches too but I just can't get it to work... My head can't process what my eyes are seeing for some reason.. I am thinkin i need one on one Instruction a few times.... That is how i ened up learning crochet.. I tryed the books and I thought i was doing it rite... took my Best friends grandma Taking my Feeble attempt at a blanket out of my hand and dismantling it and teaching me HOW to get it.. My hands just can't seem to work 2 hooks. I get all thumbs, Give me 1 hook for crochet and I can turn out wounders.. give me 2 and it looks like a 2 yr old got ahold of the yarn and jumpled it up and created a big knotted mess LOL

I too use to only know the basics. (sc, hdc, dc, Tr). and FORGET patterns. they were a foriegn lang to me. Took till I join C'ville a year ago to brave it, and I been crochethin 13 yrs.*never touched a pattern all them yrs* all my afghans were always what i call My own design.. I'd see yarn I loved tha tlook great together.. buy up some yarn and then Figure what color combo I wanted it.

Crocet to me is mor relaxing.. Takes less thought.. once you get the rythem of a repetive pattern. You dont even need the pattern. I can crochet and watch tv at the same time and not loose my train of thought on what im crochetin. and With Tunisian Crochet.. You can do some of the special stitchs to get that KNIT look. (if you wanted a knit afghan).. there is a stitch that you can do by placying your hook in a certian way and it comes out looking like that V pattern each stitch makes in knit..

if you go to this site. and watch the video's on Tunisian crochet. you will see how Easy it is and mabey be less afraid to give it a wirl! :)http://www.nexstitch.com/v_Tutorials.html

I'm the same with the hand cramping while knitting. In fact, I'm in the process from taking some time off from both because I hurt myself knitting this week. My right wrist is killing me.

I actually love both. I really, really enjoy knitting but can't seem to find a way of doing it without hurting my hands and wrists. I've decided that I'll just stick to crochet and will have to be choosy about what knit projects I do and when I actually DO have a knit project I'm going to have to just take my time with it.

I love both for multiple reasons. The main one... THEY KEEP ME SANE!

I do both and enjoy both. I tend to crochet more because it is so quick and it is less bother to control one loop instead of the 144 you need for an afghan (minimum)

I don't quite understand why so many have cramping and such from knitting as it involves less movement than crochet. Most of the time, I use the Continental method it is pretty effortless. Maybe that helps.

I love to try interesting stitches and I do think that knitting wins the contest in this area. I have a binder I filled with knit swatches of stitches I have done.

I still feel the need to have some knitting on the go. I am trying to get all these hats done and crochet is my mainstay but I just have to knit one once in a while. I do think some things are just better in knit... but the same can be said of crochet as well :wlol

If you want to get more fun out of knitting... go to Lion Brand and check out their stitchfinder. Find a pretty pattern, set up for about 3 repeats and just make a scarf for the pure fun of it all.

I leaned to knit first, then crochet, and haven't knitted for a few decades until I picked it up again this year. I have to say knitting is easier on my wrists than crochet (I haven't had my tendonitis flare up while knitting). I had to relearn/refresh my knitting and discovered I'd learned, and am now most comfortable with, continental combined style (regular "uncombined" continental purl was very uncomfortable). I tension the yarn identically as I do crochet.

It's nice to have more choices in patterns now.

Even though I learned to knit long before I learned to crochet, I prefer to crochet.

I learned to knit when I was a child and was taught to wrap my yarn over the needle different than how it is done now so I taught myself the continental method of knitting (which goes faster) because if I'm not careful, I change how I wrap the yarn around the needle the first way.

I taught myself to crochet when in my 20's. My first project was an extremely large granny square to fit my bed. I took that blanket with me ever where!

I've been crocheting seriously for probably about ten years and LOVE it. I've always wanted to learn to knit and have tried a couple times but just couldn't get the hang of it. I had my best friend try to show me, and I bought a beginners' learn to knit book and couldn't get it that way. But sometimes I'll see a pattern for something and I'm like ooooh that's nice, and then dang it, it's for knitting! So just a couple days ago I took out my knitting needles and sat down with YouTube and learned to cast on, cast off, and knit stitch. My perl and stocking stitch still need work. For now I'm just trying to practice all the basic stitches and do them enough and rip them back out, hoping that I can practice enough to get nice and consistent and uniform. After that maybe I'll try to make a scarf or something before I move on to something more advanced. :)

Archived