1st communion - 15" doll

darski

First Communion :pinterest

post-4896-1358975699_thumb.jpg

This is not my faith tradition but I admit that as a child it did seem unfair that the RC girls got those neat dresses. Dora’s heritage would most likely include a Roman Catholic upbringing so here we go.

The yarn I used is a mill end and it most closely resembles Bernat Satin yarn.

Dress…

post-4896-135897569923_thumb.jpg

WW yarn (about a 3.5wt) and 4mm hook

Ch 26

Row 1: hdc in 2nd ch from hook and ea ch across. (25 hdc)

Row 2: sc in every hdc. (25 sc)

Row 3: ch 5 tightly to form button loop… 2 FPsc in every sc (50 sc)

Row 4: sc in every st across. (50 sc)

Row 5: sc in 6, 2dc in next 2, dc in 9, 2dc in next 2, dc in 12, 2dc in next 2, dc in 9, 2dc in next 2, dc in 6 (58sc).

Row 6: sc in 1st, *ch2 sk 1, sc in next.* rep to last dc, sc in last.

Row 7:dc in 1st 2 sc, 3dc in every ch 2 sp, dc in last sc. (86 dc)

Row 8: hdc in 10, ch 3, sk 23 dc, hdc in 20 dc, ch 3, sk 23dc, hdc in 10 dc..

Row 9: ch 5 tightly to form button loop, sl st in 1st ch ,… dc in every hdc and ch. (46 dc)

Row 10: hdc in every dc.

Row 11: Work this row in back loops only. Dc in 1st hdc, 2 dc in every hdc to last, dc in last hdc..

Row 12: hdc in every dc

Row 13: dc evenly around and join. Dress is worked in the round from this point.

Row 14-17: dc evenly around

Row 18: sc in 1st st, sk 1, sc in next to end

Row 19: slst into ch 1 sp, ch 3, 2 dc in same sp, work 3 dc in every ch 1 space around.

Work a satin ribbon through the loops formed on row 6. tack each end of ribbon on inside. Sew buttons to back.

Sleeves…

Attach yarn in arm pit

Work around the armhole with sc then hdc then dc and return to the sc grades again to help to form a good sleeve. When it says dc section it refers to the part where you have dc stitches instead of the hdc and sc.

Row 1: work as stated to dc section – then work dc in 1, dc dec in next across dc section and finish row with hdc/sc

Row 2: work with sc/hdc/dc/hdc/sc evenly

Row 3-5: dc evenly around.

Row 6: work *sc, ch2, sk 1* around sleeve.

Row 7: work 3 dc in every ch 2 space. Break off and tidy all ends.

The Headpiece…

post-4896-135897569926_thumb.jpg

I was not sure of how to get a suitable headpiece that would stay on so I decided to go with the headband style… hope it works. Personally, if I could sew I would make a suitable headpiece from tulle and flowers. L

Baby glimmer yarn

4.00 mm hook

Covered elastic hair band.

Fold the hair band to get a smaller loop. Work 6 sc over the band.

Work in ch 1 mesh [dc. Ch 1] for as many rows as you need to make it fit closely around the doll’s head.

For last 2 rows: sc in ea dc.

Work 6 sc through sc and over the hair band. Break off and tidy all ends.

post-4896-135897569934_thumb.jpg

The veil part: work in ch 1 mesh over a portion of the headpiece.

I worked with some tr sections to grow the middle portion.

I admit that I am not thrilled with this portion of the outfit but it is in the crochet tradition. Again I say – get some tulle and go with it. :wlol

The decorations…

Make as many flowers and leaves in any pattern that you like and attach to mesh area.

I added 3 rows of ch5.sc surface crochet to the veil section for some pizzazz but you do what works for you.

Copyright: Darlene Cutler - 2010

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

post-4896-135897569919_thumb.jpg

post-4896-13589756993_thumb.jpg

Darski,

You've done beautiful work in many colors and styles, but this, in it's simplicity and single color, outshines them all! [and it's prettier and much softer looking than MY first communion dress, that I wore back in the long ago 1960's. It was nasty, scratchy tulle and dotted swiss!]:D

Goodness, how adorable!! Beautiful outfit!! (What I remember about my 1st Holy Communion, is that, my mom was in the hospital and my dad had to help me get ready.........and the veil was borrowed from my cousin Susan).

• 7 years later...

Archived