New Bernat Crochetalong - did you see this?

WVUAlesha

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Nicole,why didn't they just say that in the first place!? They did in other parts! :P I think I am going to try the small to large method,it just makes more sense to me,also the correction was only for having the wrong letter,why the heck did they have to write everything again,just make the statement instead of C color should be A? I just wrote A over the wrong Cs,that way if I decide to use the pattern again I won't be confused AND I didn't have to waste ink reprinting the pattern. ;) Oh and the Borders thing didn't happen the test did not take as long as we thought it would,so I got my banking,dollar store shopping and coffee run accomplished and then went back and picked him up. Finished my eight wws,think I will do the three ww stripes (yes I like the square,but I still don't like working in ALL those ends!)then attempt the new square,probably tomorrow after my Friday errands. :eek

Thanks Nicole,why didn't they just say that in the first place!? They did in other parts! :P I think I am going to try the small to large method,it just makes more sense to me,also the correction was only for having the wrong letter,why the heck did they have to write everything again,just make the statement instead of C color should be A? I just wrote A over the wrong Cs,that way if I decide to use the pattern again I won't be confused AND I didn't have to waste ink reprinting the pattern. ;) Oh and the Borders thing didn't happen the test did not take as long as we thought it would,so I got my banking,dollar store shopping and coffee run accomplished and then went back and picked him up. Finished my eight wws,think I will do the three ww stripes (yes I like the square,but I still don't like working in ALL those ends!)then attempt the new square,probably tomorrow after my Friday errands. :eek

Part of the reason for the order of the squares is that beginners progress as we move forward. It's sort of a teaching thing. So, they are missing terms and techniques so beginners learn as many terms and techniques as possible.

Home from work at a decent hour and ready to tackle my square after dinner! And I think I'm going to go with the 'backwards' or increase method of making this square.

Thanks Nicole for writing it out for what rows get which color:hug

:lol I have 32 to make too :eek, at least your caught up now with clue 4. I have two more clue 4 to make for the second one, and the 8 from clue 3 for the second one. Plus I have to make four from clue 4 for my mom, I'm trying to convince her she can do clue 5, or else I will have 48 :faintto make, I won't be able to guess when I'd finish all that :rofl

I'm going to need counseling soon! At least I'm not alone. :rofl Seriously though, I have been trying to keep caught up so I'm not panicked YET.

You can do it! You just can't leave the house for a week, but you can do it. :laughroll

I was so tired last night that I opted not to try and attempt this square and go to bed. Best decision I made because I feel rested, ready to tackle the day at work and tonight I'll do the first one!

I was thinking that if it doesn't work out, then I may try the increase method of doing a mitred square that Bernat actually has in their patterns for a mitred square afghanhttp://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=3686

To me it makes more sense to do it this way, rather than the way they posted for Clue #5. :think

But, I'll try it the Clue#5 way first.

Off to get ready for work- Have a great day everyone!!!

Thank you so much for posting this, I may try it. I hate to get a day or two behind but it's nice to pick up a couple of helpful hints by waiting. :hook

Another question before I start the marathon tomorrow does the figured out row thing account for Bernats mistake? :think

Hi everyone :hi

Working on my first square while watching the phillies game :D

Looks like everyone's under way and I'm doing this one as written (large to small) and think I'll try the next from small to large, which I just think will be more comfortable :think I feel like I keep fumbling it around under my hands :(

Jenny - I'm sure we would've made the jumbotron :rofl We always crochet in the restraurant during the games and when we went back up after the game we asked steve (the guy that gave us the tix) if he was proud we didn't even crochet....he laughed and said he actually thought about confiscating our yarn before we went down :eek Too funny, they know us too well!!!!

OK, back to work ;)

I did the first of 16!! And I did it the "increasing" way and it came out 8" with my trusty I hook! I'm not even going to attempt the way it is written in the pattern. It just makes more sense to me to go from small to large!

15 more to go!!

Another question before I start the marathon tomorrow does the figured out row thing account for Bernats mistake? :think

I'm not sure what you're asking. The mistake in the original pattern was just where colors changed, it didn't affect the row count at all.

I ended up doing my third square "backwards" (started with ch2, 3sc in 2nd ch, ch1, turn, sc in 1, 3sc in next, sc in 1, etc...) with a K hook and it came out the right size and a lot more square. Also, I did add 2 "rows" at the beginning...meaning I have 6 rows in the beginning square (hope that makes sense). :hook I have 6 squares done now (and I did rip out the first one and remake it :lol)...10 more to go!

Thanks, I get it, but Just now at almost 11 pm on Thursday I realized what you meant about adding the two rows at the beginning :cry...:2frog

Thank you Nicolep for writing it in terms I get! :hug You're the best! Gonna try this out this evening!
Yes thank you, where have I been :shrug

I'm going to need counseling soon! At least I'm not alone. :rofl Seriously though, I have been trying to keep caught up so I'm not panicked YET.

You can do it! You just can't leave the house for a week, but you can do it. :laughroll

:rofl but I have too :lol and now I think I am :fever, I guess I'll do what I can, I'll get caught up eventually :D, like when the blanket is done :sofunny

I did the first of 16!! And I did it the "increasing" way and it came out 8" with my trusty I hook! I'm not even going to attempt the way it is written in the pattern. It just makes more sense to me to go from small to large!

15 more to go!!

:cheer way to go :cheer...I'll tackle this pattern again tomorrow :yes

Here's a pic of square 1, which will probably get frogged :lol Next one will be increasing, which I'm sure will be more 'natural' :yes But wanted to give this a try since I think this ghan is about learning new techniques and all :devil

At first I wasn't liking the green and blue being next to each other, but it might be growing on me :think

Well, sorry...no pic, maybe tomorrow my internet will like me but I just tried about 5 times and it just won't do it :(

Here's a pic of square 1, which will probably get frogged :lol Next one will be increasing, which I'm sure will be more 'natural' :yes But wanted to give this a try since I think this ghan is about learning new techniques and all :devil

At first I wasn't liking the green and blue being next to each other, but it might be growing on me :think

Well, sorry...no pic, maybe tomorrow my internet will like me but I just tried about 5 times and it just won't do it :(

I think your internet likes you, it is just tired!:lol And where is the cable guy when it's acting up?:lol

I'm not even going to attempt the decreasing method. the increasing way makes more sense and with 16 of them to make, I'm sticking with this way. No time for experimentation. And hopefully by square #16, I'll have a near perfect square:lol

Here's my 1st attempt-- not the best picture- but hey, it's early!:hook

post-27163-135897588237_thumb.jpg

I think I figured out what else had me so confused. When doing the pattern from small to large should rows 19-20 be Contrast B? That way you have the four colors right? Will post my first square of this soon,oh and um still haven't finished or even started the last three ww stripes.

I think I figured out what else had me so confused. When doing the pattern from small to large should rows 19-20 be Contrast B? That way you have the four colors right? Will post my first square of this soon,oh and um still haven't finished or even started the last three ww stripes.

No, working the pattern from small to large as Bernat has written it you should have color E for row 19 & 20. The last color change for the square is on row 19 and you keep working E until the end of the square (Row 22).

Well I did B on 19-20 otherwise it wasn't there at all. Oh and my square is wonky,I think I did the first few rows a bit too tight. Hoping when blocked it will be ok.

Number 5 wonky & uneven 001.JPG

Number 5 wonky & uneven 002.JPG

Number 5 wonky & uneven 003.JPG

Number 5 wonky & uneven 004.JPG

post-14761-135897588286_thumb.jpg

post-14761-135897588289_thumb.jpg

post-14761-135897588293_thumb.jpg

post-14761-135897588295_thumb.jpg

Your colors are right. You were correct in saying that going from small to large meant you wanted that color on rows 19 - 20. I was thinking backwards. Just ignore me! :lol

I like your colors. A lot of the squares aren't really square right now. :rofl

Glad I invested in the blocking squares from Knit Picks. I bought them for shawls,but I do believe they will be used quite heavily for these squares! I backwarded numbered my pattern so I knew B was in there at 19-20! Well off to The American Legion for dinner. :)

Well I did B on 19-20 otherwise it wasn't there at all. Oh and my square is wonky,I think I did the first few rows a bit too tight. Hoping when blocked it will be ok.

Number 5 wonky & uneven 001.JPG

Number 5 wonky & uneven 002.JPG

Number 5 wonky & uneven 003.JPG

Number 5 wonky & uneven 004.JPG

I like those colors together,, (and I'm sort of ashamed to say that I'm glad to see that your "squares" look like mine). Not exactly square...but sort of.....

Cindy, I "ditto" that! Glad all our "squares" seem to be anything but... I've never blocked before, and wasn't planning on it for this project, but I think I may have to, at least for these Clue #5 squares... ugh

I am so stinkin' excited!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay I actually made a square mitered square. :D So here's how I did it -

1. I really over exaggerated how loose I made the sc3tog. I mean, seriously loose to the point that I couldn't make it any looser.

2. I made the sc on the edges (beginning of each round) very loose also.

3. As I worked, I gradually loosened up all of my stitches.

4. I made the square from big to small. I'm going to try later to do the square small to big, but I almost don't want to jinx it since it worked. :lol

Here's a picture of my "square" square!

post-28827-135897588316_thumb.jpg

Archived