Masa Bag

thetokenlady

I wanted a new purse. It needed to be largish because I carry around lots of stuff sometimes. So I hunted around and found this pattern and thought it looked nice! (her website says the patterns can't be published, so I'm only linking to the original, it does say they can be used for personal use.)

I altered her original design, which was more like a tote, and added a button closure and a couple of pockets to the inside. I used Paton's Classic Wool, a strand of Bird of Paradise and one of Black crocheted together (I had got the wool thinking I'd felt it, but I really like the look of the stitches). It made a very dense material that doesn't really need a lining, which made pockets much easier!

post-38953-135897546357_thumb.jpg

It was very easy to fold and sew, and this is coming from someone who hates sewing! However, it was really easy because of the 2 yarns I used to make the starting rectangle. Since I used black+colors I just used more of the black yarn to attach everything and you can't even see the stitches, so my dreadful uneven sewing is hidden.

Seriously though, she has the folding instructions on the page. I didn't make my rectangle fully 3 times as long as the width which made for a narrower bag. Also, when you fold it you take the inner triangle pieces (the corners) and attach them to the opposite side, try it with a piece of paper first and you'll see just how it folds.

I love the colors that you chose for this bag! I also have made this bag and modified the stitches using fpdc to give the bag some texture. You have done a fantastic job!

Archived