Plarn doormat

Titus2woman

I am always so inspired by Cindy of myrecycledbags.com! I have made plarn before but never actually used it, but I needed to make a gift~and that drove me to actually do something! LOL! Here is my first plarn project~a doormat. Smaller than I'd like, but I ran out of brown bags. Now I'm wanting to collect more to make my own and have also started multi-colored plarn for a larger kitchen rug! Thought about a border, but I love how natural this looks~reminds me of siesal (sp?). (((((HUGS))))) sandi

ETA that mine is nowhere near as smooth as Cindy's! I'm still getting used to the tension (you see it changed from beginning to end here), but the bubbles and bobbles I can't imagine getting smooth like she does~AMAZING!

post-15188-135897536226_thumb.jpg

I can only imagine! Any time you use a different type yarn/plarn/thread to crochet with you have to get used to the feel. I remember the first time I actually tried thread.....or first time in a long time......a year or so ago. It slipped right thru my fingers! :P But after a couple days working with it, it felt much more natural and now I can change back and forth much more easily. I have not tried the plarn yet. I did save a ton of plastic bags....which my DSIL made me throw out a few months ago when we began (with tons of her help) our house reno. I'll try again once we get moved and settled.

Btw, I think you did a pretty good job for a first try!

Thanks y'all! I think I was worried about it stretching and breaking more than anything, but it didn't! It's not very slippery at all. BTW~y'all are pros but *I* am NOT~it's just HDC all the way through. :) It was folded in a bag too which is why it's not laying real flat. When it's done it actually has quite a bit of give/stretchiness, and I've been thinking of all kinds of other uses!!! DEFINITELY give it a try!!! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Melanie, do you know how to make it? There is a great tutorial at myrecycledbags.com! Heather, methinks that might make a neat wish list request~ready-to-crochet plarn! LOL! :) (((((HUGS))))) sandi

ETA that I was thinking today that plarn would make a good sunhat~especially for swimming!

How heavy did it turn out? Did you use the interlocking rings method for the plarn or a single strand?

I tried making a plarn doormat and it was too lightweight - it kept getting blown away in fall winds.

I can see where it might blow away as a doormat. It would be perfect for the garage where I step out of my kitchen into the garage and coming back in from the yard could wipe my feet.

• 1 month later...

Ok I was looking thru to find other stuff people have made out of plarn..love the mat that is one thing I wanted to make also. I made a can cozy the other day it took 7 bags ... I love it ..If I had my camera I would show you all :D

Sandi that looks great!

One thing that I have to ask though, the plastic bags we have over here biodegrade in about 18 months (DON'T ask me about the disintegrating bags of yarn in my closet!!) are bags not biodegradable in the US?

and if they are won't all of these lovely plarn projects just fall to bits?! :eek

That's an interesting question, and my uneducated answer would be I think that they are NOT biodegradable. My darling actually did a job at the landfill for a time and said that more than anything there were plastic bags, plastic bags, plastic bags!!! And we are told that they just sit, sit, sit, sit there, hence so many going to cloth grocery bags. (((((HUGS))))) sandi~anyone is free to jump in here!

w8in4dave~would LOVE to be able to see your plarn creations!!!

That's an interesting question, and my uneducated answer would be I think that they are NOT biodegradable. My darling actually did a job at the landfill for a time and said that more than anything there were plastic bags, plastic bags, plastic bags!!! And we are told that they just sit, sit, sit, sit there, hence so many going to cloth grocery bags. (((((HUGS))))) sandi~anyone is free to jump in here!

w8in4dave~would LOVE to be able to see your plarn creations!!!

Thank you so much :D ... I have made bags.. the flat bottom bags... But let me tell you something.... Everyone says they are biodegradable and I am sure after alot of years they are.. Alot of years!! But you have to think that you are smashing 80 bags into a very small space when you crochet them so believe me they will last...I use between 80 to 100 bags to make one bag ... so there is that factor ... Just to let ya think :D

Archived