Our House [Archive 5]

Super Granny

I've made and sewn together 28 squares so far on the Angel! :yay I told y'all I was anxious to start this :lol

38 now :hook I'm debating about starting the next group or going to bed. I think I'm keeping BD awake...that or the fact that he didn't even wake up until 5:15 this evening :lol

Wonderful start, Cara! :cheer

I got a couple rows done on my scrap baby nine block on Saturday and also found myself another skein of soft white to make the last 20 saltines I need (plus to do the border with) - now to find time to keep sewing the thing together... On that note - it's time to get ready to hit the gym and head to work...

I'm glad you found the soft white - looking forward to seeing this one. :yes

Howdy HH ladies

Cara- this group just always seems to keep growing, have you noticed ?

I don't get to come in often enough to keep up daily, but welcome to all the new people . It's always good to see new and old friends .

Good Morning, Miss Julie. :manyheart Is the knee feeling better?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Julie! :hi Hope the recuperation and physical therapy are going well. We've all been pulling for you.

Haekelbeutel? :think I don't think that's German, but might be Scandinavian. Wouldn't be surprised if if meant hand bag. I was wrong..:oops. It is German for crocheted bag. I Googled it.

I'm up. That was a very good Super Bowl game. I was pulling for Arizona, but mostly hoping for a good game, which it was. Only one awful commercial and a few so so one. The beer and Dorito commercials were the best, IMO. :lol

I didn't make it through the entire game. We were at Old Chicago's until halftime. I came home and went to bed shortly after. The Budweiser horses were at another restaurant in the area and I didn't get back in time with my camera :(

I got a couple rows done on my scrap baby nine block on Saturday and also found myself another skein of soft white to make the last 20 saltines I need (plus to do the border with) - now to find time to keep sewing the thing together... On that note - it's time to get ready to hit the gym and head to work...

Oh Karen! There's something I've been meaning to tell you. I've gotten 3, count 'em 3, email from ladies who were finally prompted to start making the quilts based on your ATW pattern!! :clap

Howdy HH ladies

Cara- this group just always seems to keep growing, have you noticed ?

Morning Jules! :hi Why yes, yes I do :D And I have you to thank for that :manyheart

I didn't make it through the entire game. We were at Old Chicago's until halftime. I came home and went to bed shortly after. The Budweiser horses were at another restaurant in the area and I didn't get back in time with my camera :(

Oooh I saw the Clydesdales once when I was a kid at the fair. They're huge! But the most beautiful horses I've ever seen :yes

Well, today I have to be a good girl...maybe :devil I at least have to do laundry and make a start on cleaning the house. Not a disaster. No major junk lying around. Just the filing and tidying the end table. But it needs to be dusted, mopped, etc etc. Depends on how quickly I give into the siren song of saltines :hook

Someone questioned a while back about how much yarn it takes to make a saltine.....I figured 7 yards also, using an H hook. Including a 1 ft. tail for sewing them together. I slip st 3 times to get to the corner first and then leave a long tail.

I had never sewn squares together, so of course I ended up with several saltines with NO tails (I tucked them all in), before realizing the need! :lol:blush Hey, I've only been crocheting for less than 4 yrs.

I also realized that I was using two different colors of navy and so now I need to re-make the first row. :oops:(

So I guess now I'll just have to make a SECOND quilt 'ghan. :hook

:) Good morning ladies! Wow, I've never seen a group that hops like this one does!:D

Cara-- :think hoping you can help me please. I want to do the ATW in blues and reds, but I don't want to mess the pattern up ( my first quilt-gan also). The only thing I can think of and I need your opinion on this: Instead of shades of pink start with shades of blue and just keep alternating with shades of blue then shades of red finishing with blue border. And instead of black squares, substitute white so that maybe it's not so dark and has more of and outward feel instead of inward. I love the one that is done, but all those colors are too busy for my room. :D What do you think or should I just do an easier one fo r the first!

:think Also, what is a saltine and what the heck do you use them for?:hook

Thanks everyone for tolerating my ignorance :blush. Have a great day, ya'll! :lol

Also thanks to all the nice ladies for helping me in the other posts or just welcoming me. This really is a nice place!!!

:) Good morning ladies! Wow, I've never seen a group that hops like this one does!:D

Cara-- :think hoping you can help me please. I want to do the ATW in blues and reds, but I don't want to mess the pattern up ( my first quilt-gan also). The only thing I can think of and I need your opinion on this: Instead of shades of pink start with shades of blue and just keep alternating with shades of blue then shades of red finishing with blue border. And instead of black squares, substitute white so that maybe it's not so dark and has more of and outward feel instead of inward. I love the one that is done, but all those colors are too busy for my room. :D What do you think or should I just do an easier one fo r the first!

Thanks everyone for tolerating my ignorance :blush. Have a great day, ya'll! :lol

Also thanks to all the nice ladies for helping me in the other posts or just welcoming me. This really is a nice place!!!

A saltine is the first two rounds of a granny square. It's what all these quilt 'ghans are made of. I'd also like to do the Around the World ghan. So many patterns, so little time!

That sounds like it would be pretty! Do a search for posts by Econnerd. Karen recently finished an ATW in shades of just purple and it's beautiful!

Atta girl :tup

Personally, I think that would be lovely. I love red, white and blue together :yes And I see Teresa already defined a saltine for you. I don't even remember who came up with that :lol But it stuck and I like it :D And to be completely honest, unless you really have a lot of patience I wouldn't start with an ATW that large. Now making it smaller would be a good idea. I usually recommend the Pretty Gingham Baby Quilt as a starting project just to get the feel of it :hook

That sounds like it would be pretty! Do a search for posts by Econnerd. Karen recently finished an ATW in shades of just purple and it's beautiful!

Oh yes, Karen's purple ATW was another knockout! :drool She really has the knack for the ATW and the nine patch :yes

Whew. I'm pooped. My cleaning didn't get very far before I just had to stop. Oh well, maybe I can get more done tomorrow. Guess I'll just have to make saltines...rarely ever too tired for that :hook

:hi ladies!

Today is a saltine making day :yay I hope to get a bunch made and added to my geo shades of sun. It's name is ever changing. :lol

:woo I love how that ghan is coming out, Heather. I have a feeling I'm gonna be in love by the time it's done :yes

:hi all.

In between going to the library and PO in the snow :woo and playing in the snow and watching the snow, I did manage to make a few saltines. Denise has been making saltines as well. She has enjoyed watching the snow, from the comfort of her recliner in front of the fire with her hook and yarn. :lol We have both started our Angel ghans and are having fun so far. :hook

Denise has been making saltines as well. She has enjoyed watching the snow, from the comfort of her recliner in front of the fire with her hook and yarn. :lol

Sounds like my idea of the high life :D

I had never sewn squares together, so of course I ended up with several saltines with NO tails (I tucked them all in), before realizing the need! :lol:blush Hey, I've only been crocheting for less than 4 yrs.

I also realized that I was using two different colors of navy and so now I need to re-make the first row. :oops:(

And then you'll be making a third, fourth...:D They are addicting. :yes

:hi ladies!

Today is a saltine making day :yay I hope to get a bunch made and added to my geo shades of sun. It's name is ever changing. :lol

Hi Heather! I can't remember this ghan. :think:blush Would love to see another picture. :)

Whew. I'm pooped. My cleaning didn't get very far before I just had to stop. Oh well, maybe I can get more done tomorrow. Guess I'll just have to make saltines...rarely ever too tired for that :hook
Sounds like a great plan to me. :lol I'm getting ready to make some, too.

:hi all.

In between going to the library and PO in the snow :woo and playing in the snow and watching the snow, I did manage to make a few saltines. Denise has been making saltines as well. She has enjoyed watching the snow, from the comfort of her recliner in front of the fire with her hook and yarn. :lol We have both started our Angel ghans and are having fun so far. :hook

I just looked at pictures of your snow on my home page - it's beautiful! They said it was the most snow in London in 18 years! Hi to Denise...you all have fun crocheting. :crocheting

Yay! I just finished our taxes and am definitely sick of numbers and forms. I'll do the final copy later, but now it's time for a break. :cheer

Mary, want to do my taxes too? Reminds me, I have to call and get some info from my student loan people.

I'm jealous of Denise. It's been raining here pretty much all day and it's perfect weather for curling up and crocheting. Stupid bills wanting to be paid :lol

Mary, yes, the worst in almost 2 decades. And London came to a grinding halt. :rolleyes All buses in Central London were cancelled, 10 of 11 underground lines were closed or partly suspended. I think most of our buses were cancelled and almost all the schools were closed. Kyla's school is closed again tomorrow. I took photos of our back yard and some of the open area in front of the house if you want to see? :D I need to get photos off Kyla's phone from our walk to the library and PO this morning.

Mary, yes, the worst in almost 2 decades. And London came to a grinding halt. :rolleyes All buses in Central London were cancelled, 10 of 11 underground lines were closed or partly suspended. I think most of our buses were cancelled and almost all the schools were closed. Kyla's school is closed again tomorrow. I took photos of our back yard and some of the open area in front of the house if you want to see? :D I need to get photos off Kyla's phone from our walk to the library and PO this morning.

Piccies? Oooh I love pictures :yes

Ok, just going to get them up. :D

:woo

Here you go everyone. :D Enjoy.

th_100_1666.jpg Decking out back

th_100_1665.jpg Yard and shed

th_100_1667.jpg Left view from front door

th_100_1668.jpg Right view from front door

th_100_1669.jpg Center view from front door

th_100_1671.jpg The mini snowmen Kyla made with an umbrella to protect them from the brunt of the snow

th_100_1677.jpg Kyla playing. Wonder if the rear cleavage got cold? :think

th_100_1679.jpg Kyla having fun

th_100_1671.jpg The mini snowmen Kyla made with an umbrella to protect them from the brunt of the snow

Oh that's very cute and clever! I like that very much :yes

th_100_1677.jpg Kyla playing. Wonder if the rear cleavage got cold? :think

Kyla! Say no to crack! :rofl :rofl

Tracy - Great photos! Nice to look at it but you can keep it :yes

Archived