Our House [Archive 5]

Super Granny

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our schools close many times in teh winter for inclement weather. Our district (I'm a teacher) has an automatic call system called CONNECTED. We receive an automated call in the morning if school is cancelled or delayed. It is pretty cool. It calls ALL staff and student's phone numbers and sends the automated message. The staff used to have a phone tree, but this is much easier. Schools can also send out automated messages, such as PTA meeting is tonight, or school pictures are tomorrow, etc...It's a good service.

We had one school in CT close this year because of the flu. They closed for 2 weeks, because the flu strand was so bad and so many students and staff were sick!

We've also had closings in the state for no heat, frozen pipes, etc. My district does not close much (we had 3 this year - and that's ALOT for us!) Our superintendent is from Wisconsin and doesn't believe in closing school. Problem is alot of our kids take the bus and busses don't go down certain streets in inclement weather cuz they get stuck (it's a hilly urban system) And we have alot of kids living in poverty and they don't always have the proper clothing for the weather. I like when there is a closing, but I hate that we have to make it up. I think our last day of school is now June 24th.

Sorry to go on.....

Good morning, everyone. It's a pretty day today with lots of sunshine after the storms yesterday. I did a few saltines yesterday, but not many. Hopefully I will be more productive today on something.

Talking of school closings brings back lots of memories. We lived in Rochester, MN when my children were little and they almost NEVER closed the schools for any reason. :no When I was young, we lived in rural Iowa in the hilly part of the state and the schools did close for snow and ice in the winter, although the way we found out about it was frequently because the school bus failed to show up to pick us up. I remember several times, too, when the school bus driver(s) made the decision during their route(s) when the roads were too bad to make it up or down one of the hills. :yes

'Morning everyone. :)

Linda, I'm so glad you all are okay. :manyheart The pictures on the news this morning were incredible.

Mary~This is the pattern I bought. It's all in sc but I fell in love with her pink one & just have to make it. :yes

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=12092167

The pattern is gorgeous, Tabby! It looks like it will be really fun to make. :hook

Mary~This is the pattern I bought. It's all in sc but I fell in love with her pink one & just have to make it. :yes

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=12092167

Very nice!

Our schools close many times in teh winter for inclement weather. Our district (I'm a teacher) has an automatic call system called CONNECTED. We receive an automated call in the morning if school is cancelled or delayed. It is pretty cool. It calls ALL staff and student's phone numbers and sends the automated message. The staff used to have a phone tree, but this is much easier. Schools can also send out automated messages, such as PTA meeting is tonight, or school pictures are tomorrow, etc...It's a good service.

We had one school in CT close this year because of the flu. They closed for 2 weeks, because the flu strand was so bad and so many students and staff were sick!

We've also had closings in the state for no heat, frozen pipes, etc. My district does not close much (we had 3 this year - and that's ALOT for us!) Our superintendent is from Wisconsin and doesn't believe in closing school. Problem is alot of our kids take the bus and busses don't go down certain streets in inclement weather cuz they get stuck (it's a hilly urban system) And we have alot of kids living in poverty and they don't always have the proper clothing for the weather. I like when there is a closing, but I hate that we have to make it up. I think our last day of school is now June 24th.

Sorry to go on.....

When I was in NY I was on call temp help (not teaching, admin work) and we had a phone tree. Now I just did the school work as fill in but somehow I got included in the phone tree and would have to call whether even if I hadn't worked at the school for months :rofl I never minded though. It was cumbersome but effective :yes That automated system sounds really cool though :yes

Things are calming down now weather wise, but there has been quite a bit of damage in some areas. Definitely sounds like a number of places had tornadoes. Some rather striking pictures of baseball size hail and one doozie of a picture of a tornado cloud. Flights at the Atlanta airport are delayed 3-4 hours. The worst of it was in south metro Atlanta and further south of it. We're about 30 miles north of Atlanta and just had the one bad storm. A lot of damage won't be able to be seen until the sun comes up again. Lots of trees down, but very few injuries reported so far.

Hopefully thing aren't too bad. I've always heard of baseball size hail but, thankfully, I've never seen it. Golf ball size yes and that's big enough to see falling out of the sky for my taste, thank you very much :lol

Oh today is starting off to be a fabulous day! I got to sleep in an extra hour. I had a little trouble getting to sleep but once I did I slept like a rock :D And I finally got my test results back and they're all normal!! :jumpyay:dance:woo That sure is a load off my mind!

It's wonderfully cool in the house and outside today (47* atm) and it's not supposed to get above 60 all day and then get close to freezing tonight :c9

Today is supposed to be my day out but my poor sissy is a bit under the weather :( No doubt. She works 60 hours a week and goes to school 4 nights a week and then on top of it runs me all over town on her only day off, bless her heart. I convinced her to just take it easy today and sent my library books that needed to be returned with BD. We can put him to work today :lol

So I'm a free agent today because I don't do anything housewise on Thursdays. It's always leftovers on Thursdays. So I think, yes I really do think, that I shall be a total SLUG today and not do any housework at all and just plunk my hiney on this couch and crochet all day long :hook

Very nice!

When I was in NY I was on call temp help (not teaching, admin work) and we had a phone tree. Now I just did the school work as fill in but somehow I got included in the phone tree and would have to call whether even if I hadn't worked at the school for months :rofl I never minded though. It was cumbersome but effective :yes That automated system sounds really cool though :yes

Hopefully thing aren't too bad. I've always heard of baseball size hail but, thankfully, I've never seen it. Golf ball size yes and that's big enough to see falling out of the sky for my taste, thank you very much :lol

Oh today is starting off to be a fabulous day! I got to sleep in an extra hour. I had a little trouble getting to sleep but once I did I slept like a rock :D And I finally got my test results back and they're all normal!! :jumpyay:dance:woo That sure is a load off my mind!

It's wonderfully cool in the house and outside today (47* atm) and it's not supposed to get above 60 all day and then get close to freezing tonight :c9

Today is supposed to be my day out but my poor sissy is a bit under the weather :( No doubt. She works 60 hours a week and goes to school 4 nights a week and then on top of it runs me all over town on her only day off, bless her heart. I convinced her to just take it easy today and sent my library books that needed to be returned with BD. We can put him to work today :lol

So I'm a free agent today because I don't do anything housewise on Thursdays. It's always leftovers on Thursdays. So I think, yes I really do think, that I shall be a total SLUG today and not do any housework at all and just plunk my hiney on this couch and crochet all day long :hook

:woo:yay for good test results. :clap

:hug Poor sister. And you get to spend the day with :hook and :yarn. :yay

And I finally got my test results back and they're all normal!! :jumpyay:dance:woo That sure is a load off my mind!

Wonderful news, Cara!!!! :clap:yay:clap I'm so very happy for you. Have fun with your hook and yarn.

I have absolutely no ambition today. I think I'll play slug, too. :lol :lol :lol

Cara, that's fantastic news about your test results. :yay I hope your sister is okay and feels better soon.

So...yesterday we're slackers and today we're slugs. :lol Of course I'm including myself, too. The only thing I've accomplished is a trip to Target and one load of laundry. :blush

Question for Angel makers: I emailed DD the graph and she suggested I might make the mouth and nose in a rosy shade. I made a square using Rose Pink for the center and can't decide if it shows up well enough. :think DD and I were on a roll and decided anything too red might make her look like a hooker...the kind who probably doesn't crochet. :D:lol Anyway, I'm debating about the Rose Pink for mouth and nose ^ and using the hair color for her eyes. ^ ^ Any thoughts/advice?

Cara, that's fantastic news about your test results. :yay I hope your sister is okay and feels better soon.

I think she's just run down. She works 60 hours a week and goes to school 4 nights a week. She's studying to be a nurse so it's lots of studying and stress too. She's 40 in a couple of months and she just doesn't understand that she's not 25 anymore :rolleyes

So...yesterday we're slackers and today we're slugs. :lol Of course I'm including myself, too. The only thing I've accomplished is a trip to Target and one load of laundry. :blush

I made tea and cleaned the cat box. That's it other than crocheting :D

Question for Angel makers: I emailed DD the graph and she suggested I might make the mouth and nose in a rosy shade. I made a square using Rose Pink for the center and can't decide if it shows up well enough. :think DD and I were on a roll and decided anything too red might make her look like a hooker...the kind who probably doesn't crochet. :D:lol Anyway, I'm debating about the Rose Pink for mouth and nose ^ and using the hair color for her eyes. ^ ^ Any thoughts/advice?

Hmmm, actually that's not a bad idea all :scrachin I agree about the red though. No hooker angels :rofl

You know I've been thinking on this and did an experiment. If we did one of Linda's famous tri-color squares it could look more like a mouth with a tongue rather than just a black hole. Here's what I did.....

Rnd 1: With Burgundy, ch 4, join to first with a sl st to form a ring, ch 3, work 2 dc in the ring, switch to Black, ch 1, *3 dc in the ring, ch 1; repeat from * twice more, join to first with sl st to join, switch to Buff

Rnd 2: Working with Buff, ch 3, turn, 2 dc in first ch 1 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in same ch 1 sp, ch 1 (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc, ch 1) in remaining three ch 1 sps, join with sl st to top of beg ch 3, finish off, weave in loose ends

The 2nd round is the same as a solid saltine round. I just wrote it out for convenience sake.

I'm trying to decide if I like it or if it just looks like she's sticking out her tongue :lol

You know I've been thinking on this and did an experiment. If we did one of Linda's famous tri-color squares it could look more like a mouth with a tongue rather than just a black hole. Here's what I did.....

Rnd 1: With Burgundy, ch 4, join to first with a sl st to form a ring, ch 3, work 2 dc in the ring, switch to Black, ch 1, *3 dc in the ring, ch 1; repeat from * twice more, join to first with sl st to join, switch to Buff

Rnd 2: Working with Buff, ch 3, turn, 2 dc in first ch 1 sp, ch 1, 3 dc in same ch 1 sp, ch 1 (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc, ch 1) in remaining three ch 1 sps, join with sl st to top of beg ch 3, finish off, weave in loose ends

The 2nd round is the same as a solid saltine round. I just wrote it out for convenience sake.

I'm trying to decide if I like it or if it just looks like she's sticking out her tongue :lol

You know I've been wondering about the mouth too. Someone else made a reference to a hooker too. So I was thinking of maybe just doing a smile for her the same way we're doing the nose and eyes. I'm interested in seeing the square you figured out Cara.

Good Morning, all. :) Wow! The UK ladies are really making progress. :hook

Denise, 51 solids and 6 bi-colors are added.

Tracy, 180 solids and 16 bi-colors - done!

Hi Donna!

I have an appt. this morning, so I'll post the scores when I get back. Looking forward to working on Annie Angel, too. (That's her name for today - yesterday she was Abby Angel. :lol )

Archived