New Tunisian Stitch Graphghan CAL: Begins Now March 2010

moomooo

WOOT! Pattern is fixed I think... and now to start! I cant decide which way I want to work this piece though. I am hesitant about having almost 300 loops on my hook (I have not found an extension set that I like yet... I did find a double sided L hook with the cable in the middle but is too big for me to use comfortably)... I will start and see how it looks. What is the worst thing that happens??? I frog it! LOL Not like that wont happen enough anyways!!! :)

*EDIT* UGHHHHHH! I just tried doing my first row and have discovered my hook does not work :( I even rotated the pattern to try with less stitches and the hook is still just too short :( :( :( Guess my project is back on hold until I order a new hook that will work!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I finally got my project started and now have frogged the whole thing. It seemed like it was coming out lopsided or something. What do you guys count as a stitch? When you pull through just the 1 loop as starting is that a stitch? You skip the first bar when you start making your loops right? It just seems unbalanced to me. Maybe I need to rethink doing this one tunisian and just go back to my sc like I have used before.

So I finally got my project started and now have frogged the whole thing. It seemed like it was coming out lopsided or something. What do you guys count as a stitch? When you pull through just the 1 loop as starting is that a stitch? You skip the first bar when you start making your loops right? It just seems unbalanced to me. Maybe I need to rethink doing this one tunisian and just go back to my sc like I have used before.

heres a link i found, scroll down to counting stitches...

http://crochet.borgbilly.com/tutorial/afghan.htm

Thanks! Kinda confusing though... basically it sounds like you chain an extra chain to start and that let's say your going 20 stitches wide you would keep 21 stitches on the hook? Different than what I learned... curious to hear what others think works best!

I haven't posted my progress in awhile, mainly because I haven't had the motivation to work on it. My hubby's birthday is on the 29th, but I can't sit and crochet for long amounts of time right now because I start to get uncomfortable with this big belly. Plus, I've been working on some smaller things for the baby too.

post-37603-135897530709_thumb.jpg

post-37603-135897530713_thumb.jpg

Thanks! Kinda confusing though... basically it sounds like you chain an extra chain to start and that let's say your going 20 stitches wide you would keep 21 stitches on the hook? Different than what I learned... curious to hear what others think works best!

um dunno havent done any myself yet. i think my plan was to add a border around the whole thing, about 3 squares wide so there werent any colour changes at the edge but that was just for personal preference. doing that might help with those edge stitches

Jennifer that elvis graph is loooking goooooood.. I can start to see his face...

I just love graph ghans....

I hope to pick up mine again this week been testing some things and that backed me up a wee...

Keep up the good work

hugs

Lillibet

I frogged my project again:( my heart just isn't in it. I think I will do it in sc and just get it done so it is off my list. I have another tunisian I am excited to do but have to get this done first. Hope you guys will still have me!

Alnee:

Sweetie of course you are welcomed here... Either graph way you decide to do your graph is fine ... We just want you to stay and share your progress ... I've never done the sc way so i cant help you there and the tunisian way i have a hard time explaining it but I'm sure others here can help you out if you decide that ways....

So please do keep us posted of your WIP

hugs

Lillibet

Elvis is looking good :) I have never really tried lettering in my afghans... maybe that will be an adventure down the road. I was going to do it in this one but could not find a font that I liked at all!

Started my project... again! LOL... So far it is just solid color though so nothing to post pictures of. This is going to be a rather boring, but easy, graph for me. I still wish I could have gotten the tunisian to work for me as I would have loved to do it that way. The smaller project has already been picked out though for my first real tunisian project :)

hey everybody!!!!!!!!

I am just starting a graph ghan, and was hoping there were enough people stil actively working on them to join you guys.....

I need a little help with motivation, so i keep at it, or eventually I will give up like I do all hard projexts. (not litterally all, but it seems like that to my huby, so i am determined to do so to prove him wrong.)

I cannot post my graph as it is a picture of a NB trademarked team, but I will be able to show it off a little at a time as it goes. lol.....

I also will be doing it in sc this time around, since my last one was tunisian, and i want to change it up a bit.

Hope no one will mind my joining in so late.......

Awe you kidding megsdaboss:

We will be sooooo happy to have you here and Sc is just find..

We are active here just that we all trying to show our ghans when there is more rows to show off////

so please do stay and show us your WIP as you go along...

hugs

Lillibet

well i am mostly lucky in the begining of the pattern, although I did modify the original pattern.......

The begining is various stripes of Cavs colors, (wine, gold, white, blue, white, gold, wine.)so I doubled what it called for to add a little more height to the blanket, since my hubby tends to sleep covered head to toe and needs the extra room or parts of him poke out:blush....so instead of the pattern being 240X220, it is now 240X300 :eek:eek

so a few extra rows of sc cant' make that much difference in time right??? lol we'll see how it goes. :manyheart so far im only on row 29.......i'll post a pic when i get about to start the graph pattern rows.:yes

I think I have been failing, lol... I got to row 30 and stopped for a bit, was just goign to play some WOW with my hubby, and havent picked it back up since. very bad on my part, hoping to get some rows in tomorrow.

Dear Meg dont worry none there is no rush here and you can always gift to him for x-mas...

keep us posted..

My elbow is back to hurting so i got to take it easy.

hugs

Lillibet

OK - the baby-ghan I initially was going to make didn't work out for me. Just couldn't get me heart in it, so I knew it would never be finished.

My BIL has always wanted an afghan with "no holes". :) I figure a SC afghan has to fit the bill, right?

I'll be working on a Cartman afghan, so I can't share the graph, but I can show pics as it goes.

I need help, though! I don't want to carry the colors all the way across the afghan. When I am finished with each color, I basically just "drop it" by leaving it in a bobin and pick it back up for the next row, right?

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been posting my updates regularly, but with the end of school, report cards due, summer sports beginning, college kid coming home for the summer etc.etc.etc. Enough excuses! I still felt an obligation to you all and worked feverishly on it for the last couple of weeks. I presented to our retiring music teacher on Tuesday of this week. She loved it.

Notice in my haste to get a picture(the one and only pic, it's reversed, the treble clef should face the other way:P)

post-15513-135897537108_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been posting my updates regularly, but with the end of school, report cards due, summer sports beginning, college kid coming home for the summer etc.etc.etc. Enough excuses! I still felt an obligation to you all and worked feverishly on it for the last couple of weeks. I presented to our retiring music teacher on Tuesday of this week. She loved it.

Notice in my haste to get a picture(the one and only pic, it's reversed, the treble clef should face the other way:P)

Gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing the finished product, even it if is backwards.

I need help, though! I don't want to carry the colors all the way across the afghan. When I am finished with each color, I basically just "drop it" by leaving it in a bobin and pick it back up for the next row, right?

Carrying colors across the back makes a big mess....so, good decision. Yes on the bobin thing.

OMG Momma crochet !! That is gorgeous..amazng..Ive been wanting to do one of these but I dont know how to do the graph.(there is someone whos ask for a $30.00 donation but I think that is a little too much for a graph..I dont know I may be wrong.)

Here is mine. This is my dgd!! I hope you all enjoy it! I really enjoyed making this one! This is done w/ single crochet stitch!

That is beyond gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. One of these days I might actually get into my graphghan. I really wanted to get one done for my dad for Christmas, but I can't seem to make myself work on it. :sigh

You have inspired me though! Maybe your masterpiece will get my rear in gear. :hook

Archived