The February Shawl is Ready!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, everyone, for the good thoughts. I can't remember the last time I was this sick! Even in November when we got sick it wasn't like this. I am IN BED, and that's as far as I'm going for the next few days at least. I have the strength of water. I don't feel well enough to sleep, even, and I can usually sleep any time, anywhere if I close my eyes with the intention of falling asleep. :sick:fever I've been looking through some crochet books trying to find a pattern that a poster asked for on another thread, and I even started working on the March shawl just because I feel like crocheting but don't feel like getting involved in anything intricate, and I can crochet those shawls in my sleep at this point. So I am working on "The Luck of the Irish" for March. :crocheting:sick:fever If things keep going the way they're going with this flu, the February shawl and March shawl will both be going out on the same day! It might be the fever talking, but I'm thinking that the March shawl will be traveling further than any of my shawls have traveled to date. Time will tell. I hope I can get to sleep soon. It has been almost 2 days since I've slept more than about 2 hours at a time, I'm exhausted. :tired

Hope you feel better soon, Elle! And I sure hope you can get some sleep soon! I am loving my shawl and with the cold weather here, it has gotten plenty of use! Here's a few:hug:hug:hug for you!

Mmm..Luck of the Irish shawl.....going the farthest a shawl has been.....this will be fun to watch to see where that one ends up as well as the beautiful February shawl:yes

beautiful.. can i ask how do you do the fringe at the end i tried to make a shawl but couldnt figure out how to do fringe

I'm SO sorry that I'm just now responding to your post! I saw it the day you posted it, and have been meaning to explain the fringe method I use since then, but I keep ending up reading in other areas and getting waylaid into other areas and not finding my way back to this thread. Again, I apologize!

With regard to the fringe, rather than getting confusing trying to explain it, I went to Google and found a site that has easy-to-follow photos of what you do. Here's the link: How to make a fringe While this site says to cut strands of yarn 14 inches long and lay them side by side, I do the cutting part a bit different and I use a plastic DVD case that I wrap the yarn around 10 times, then I cut the "tail" that leads to the skein even with the DVD case, and I cut through all the strands at one end. This way you get 10 strands, all the same length, at the same time without having to individually cut each strand and lay them out. Ten strands folded in half comes to 20 strands in each fringe tassel, which I think is just right. Not too thick, not scraggly. The rest of the site is done the same way I do it with regard to how to attach the fringe to the piece. :)

Just to update everyone, I have survived the flu and am back up and getting around. I'm still pretty weak, but that's just from being sick and laying around doing nothing at this point. I was going to go back tomorrow (Tuesday), but DH convinced me to stay home tomorrow too, since the day after that is Wednesday and Wednesdays and Thursdays are my usual days off. He suggested that I not rush things and end up having a relapse, and he's probably right. He's also feeling better, but since he is self-employed, he has much more freedom to be sick and take sick days. Since all of the employees here live on the property, it worked out pretty well for me in that I wasn't TOTALLY out of the action, because since I'm right here on the property, my desk clerks still called me every time they had a question or a problem, so at least nothing got out of control because I wasn't at work.

Anyway, Wednesday is Social Security Disability check day, so when I go to town to cash my check, I will also be visiting the post office to mail off the (now-very-far-overdue) February Shawl. I will post again when it's off and running to let everyone know they can start stalking their mail carriers! :devil

So glad to hear you and DH are feeling better, but please don't rush it, Elle. We can all wait to see who is getting the lovely February Shawl you are sending out. Take it easy.

Archived