Hints and tips

enmac

Question

Anyone want to share a favourite hint or tip? Here are a couple of mine.

When I'm working on a project with a multiple row pattern repeat, I write out the pattern on 3x5 cards, one row per card, and clip them together. As I'm working I just flip to the right card. Makes it easier to keep track.

Sometimes when I'm planning a new project I work several samples in different stitches. It occurred to me that it might be useful to save some of these for future reference, but only if I could identify the stitch pattern later. So I got some labels (thin cardboard with a hole and string through it) and attached them as I worked the last stitch of the sample. On the label I put the name of the stitch and the book and page number it was from.

17 answers to this question

Let's see, I use small brass looking safety pins as a stitch marker, but I'm liking the idea of using a bobby pin. I've also seen a post somewhere about someone making stitch markers with beads, and using earring hooks.

What else...oh yeah! You know those "sign here" flags with an arrow on them. I just started using that to keep track of rows on patterns! Works great! The sticky stuff didn't start wearing out until I was at the end of the pattern, so it was good!

I keep my crochet hooks in a case that I bought at lewiscraft, a zippered, quilted one. I also keep a couple of big plastic needles for weaving in ends, and a pair of snippers fit in there perfectly.

* use an M & M tube for a ball winder. Put one end inside the tube, close it & begin winding the ball around the m&m tube. Sides off easily when the ball is winded & you have a little tighter center pull ball than a TP cardboard tube.

*I print a lot of patterns I find. For those I use multiple colored report type folders. On the front I write category, ex. bags or bookmarks. I put patterns into their corresponding folder. This way when I am searching for a project, I don't have a ton of patterns to browse & I'm in the right category. I also bought different colors--so that I know which folder to take off my bookshelf because I know bags are the purple folder, hats & scarves are the blue folder, and so on.

*Cereal boxes make good craft magazine organizers. When cereal is eaten lol--take out the liner bag. Cut the top flaps off. Then on front & back, cut diagonally from top corner to midway down on the other box corner. Each cut line should meet at the narrow side of the box. Cover the box in a decorative wrapping paper or contact paper. Make several. Store magazine together in it's own box ex. all Crochet! together. Stack side by side on a shelf.

note: you can also do the same thing with other boxes. Heavy duty Tide boxes, etc.

*Cheap plastic gelly bracelets are great to hang stitch markers on when you aren't using them. That way they don't tangle together & you can also see which one you want to use. Hang the gelly bracelet on a hook, on your craft shelf. Another pretty way to display them for easy use, is to hang them on the top edge of a pretty glass on your shelf.

I'm just starting to work with patterns, and find them quite incomprehensible when all the directions are both abbreviated and squished into a very long paragraph in tiny type. Sheesh.

My current plan of attack is to re-type the directions in my word processor. I use bullets. I add a blank line between each step, put repeating bits (you know, the part between the stars) in red, and so forth. Somehow it all seems easier to manage this way - I can move my post-it note down the page, and the extra blank lines, bullets, colour-coding, and tab-indent spacing makes things way easier for me.

At the end of the pattern I include reminders of how to do the new-to-me stitches. Sometimes I also add a photo of what the finished item is supposed to look like.

This is my only hope of ever getting it straight, I think.

i dont have any tips, im very new to all of this, but while teachng my 9 yr old daughter....i found she couldnt read the patterns either...(i know there are times even i have trouble for all the reasons you listed) and i have retyped them for her as well...made it kid friendly, so to speak....:)

I'm just starting to work with patterns, and find them quite incomprehensible when all the directions are both abbreviated and squished into a very long paragraph in tiny type. Sheesh.

My current plan of attack is to re-type the directions in my word processor. I use bullets. I add a blank line between each step, put repeating bits (you know, the part between the stars) in red, and so forth. Somehow it all seems easier to manage this way - I can move my post-it note down the page, and the extra blank lines, bullets, colour-coding, and tab-indent spacing makes things way easier for me.

At the end of the pattern I include reminders of how to do the new-to-me stitches. Sometimes I also add a photo of what the finished item is supposed to look like.

This is my only hope of ever getting it straight, I think.

My tip: Ziplock (or similar) baggies.

I keep a variety of sizes on hand. I can't afford special cases and quilted knitting bags for every project I have (I'd rather spend that cash on yarn LOL). Currently, I have two full size afghans going (different patterns), two baby afghans (also different patterns), a sweater, and a couple of knitting things.

In snack or sandwich sizes, I keep the little tools (yarn needle, yarn cutter, etc). In quarts or half gallons, I keep extra yarn (next ball or leftovers). In gallon sizes I keep working balls of yarn (feed through snipped off bottom corners - keeps that balls from rolling away and getting dirty). In two gallons I keep the project, the pattern (if I'm using one) the ball bag, and the tools bag. I can fashion a kind of handle into the one and two gallon sizes to make them easier to carry. For larger projects, I graduate to the new super sized ziplocks (2x and 3x, plenty big for afghans, and has a convenient handle already in it, too :-)

Plus, I like being able to see my projects and choose what I want to work on today without digging through various quilted knitting bags. If I can't see it there, calling to me, I'll forget what's in there and rediscover it someday, often years later LOL I have a left over yarn bag, where I toss stuff I'm not likely to ever use up or hated. I can either let the kids I know who crochet or knit raid, or donate somewhere when its full.

The ziplocks can also be written on, so I can lable them with hook, yarn, and pattern being used. I can also use them to store completed items (like afghans and sweater durring the hot summer months - no buggies nesting in them in the closet that way or kitties spraying them - and I can pack it into a box and mail it without worrying what will happen if the box gets wet. The new larger sized ziplocks hang so neatly in the closet, just be sure the item is really dry or else pin prick the bag enough to let it breathe.

Something I've started doing recently. I made stitch markers with letters of the alphabet on them and numbers 1-10 and then 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, etc...all the way up to 100. I use the numbered stitch markers to keep count of my rows. If the item is really large, then I mark every 5th row with a corresponding stitch marker (ie: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, etc). I don't have to keep re-counting my rows to see when I've reached the end. If I have to put the item down to do other things. I put in a stitch marker where I stopped that states the size of the hook I was using. If I leave my hook in the item, many times it falls out and I pick it up and put it away without realizing I don't know what size I was using. The alphabet stitch markers reminds me.

I also make copies of patterns I'm using so I can mark off each row I've done or to keep track of where I'm at in a pattern. Nothing worse than opening a magazine to see it marked up from a previous owner.

I keep my copies of patterns in plastic sleeves so they stay neat & wrinkle-free.

I take the label of the yarn I'm using and slip it inside the plastic sleeve with the pattern I'm using. This way if I don't have enough yarn, I can take the sleeve with my to my LYS to try to find the same dye lot and exact type of yarn.

If the item I am making is to be given away, I add the yarn sleeve with the item so that the receiver knows what type of yarn was used and how to wash the item as yarn companies usually put washing instructions on the sleeve.

I am still a crochet novice, but will share what I do to keep myself some what organized.

:hook I have a page-sized metal board (you can find them in craft shops and wal-mart) inside of a thick sturdy page protector. I then make a working copy of a pattern and slip it into the page protector with the board. I use two magnets to mark my place on the pattern. The magnets are 8 inches by 2 inches and won't loose their "sticky" unless I want them to.

:hook I keep hooks (granted they are not TOTC or anything special), small scissors:scissors , a mechanical pencil, a self retracting measuring tape, and a darning needle in a pencil pouch. The ones that can go into a three ring binder. It is clear on one side so I can quickly check to make sure everything is put away.

:hook I keep my darning needle in the case that erasers for mechanical pencils come in. No poke throughs, no owies, and it was a perfect fit.

:hook You know the free patterns that you see on the yarn shelves. If I see something that I like. (Remember I am new) I will take two of the patterns. I then glue-stick them to a piece of lightwieght cardstock. (One side for the picture one side for the pattern.) I then slide them into a page protector and place them into a three ring binder.

:hook I keep patterns books in page protectors or magazine protectors, depending on their size, in my handy little three ring binder.

I am just learning patterns but I learned that whatever I do I need to write it down exactly how it was done because I have had people want me to make them someting that I have and I cant because I had no idea how I did it.I also have a binder that I keep all my copies of patterns whether it be from the internet,store ,whatever.

For those of you who keep a project in the car...

Don't try to find the center pull thread of a ball of Sugar 'n' Cream while driving in stop-and-go traffic...you are bound to become distracted and end up with a huge tangle that will take you two hours to undo and rewind. This happened to me this morning and I'm so tempted just to throw the whole ball away. It is such a complete mess! :thair:bang

I make a copy of my pattern and slip it into a page protector so I don't get coffee or chocolate on it. I also note any changes on the pattern, and if there is a repeat, I will write this in "shorthand" in the margin so I can just glance at it without having to read it all.

I used to use a safety pin to keep my work from unraveling but now I use Lil's knot, which I learned from a visitor to my web site. It's sort of a slip knot. I have instructions here: http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ltc-knot.htm

The best thing is you can use it any time. You don't need to be sure to have a safety pin or bobby pin handy. And it's easy to undo.

When traveling, I have a quilted bag. I keep a set of crochet hooks, measuring tape, needles and scissors in there, along with a few patterns for small things that I can work on with just a skein or two of yarn. When I'm going somewhere and I suspect I may have a wait time, I grab this bag which is always ready to go.

I have a medium sized basket (with a cotton insert) in which I throw the small balls of yarn leftover from a project. When I have enough balls, I make a thin strip using the seed stitch, changing when I run out of that ball. When I'm done, I donate the strip to charity. It can either be joined to other strips or become a colorful scarf.

To store finished projects, I use the plastic garment bags that come with new quilts/comforters. They already have zippers and can hold quite a few baby afghans, which is what I'm currently saving.

If you do a lot of charity work within the U.S., and like Delivery Confirmation, you can get a bunch of these forms to keep at home for free. When you have a project to send off, you can fill out your labels beforehand, saving wait time at the post office.

I think that's all I have at the moment, but if I think of more, I'll be back. :-)

If I'm working on a large project and want to keep track of my rows I use safety pins every 10 rows so I don't have to count so much.

:frog

I bought a wonderfully stretchy and soft pencil grip form a stationery store. I've put this on my hooks to make them a little easier to hold for long stretches. When I've got time to crochet, I don't want to stop until I have to!

The only tip I can think of presently is my "rounds marker". I use a bobby pin to mark the beginning of each round. It's easy to put into the stitch with one hand and is gentle on the yarn/thread. Also, readily available in my house!

Here are some that I've learned from other people or just my own experience:

When you stop working, put a safety pin in the last loop to keep all your efforts from being pulled out.

If you need to roll a ball, use a toilet paper roll to make it easier.

Gauge is important when you don't have an endless supply of yarn or you are using a different yarn than the one called for in the pattern and you want the same effect. For non-clothing items, I tend to not let gauge bother me that much.

No matter what the man in your life tries to tell you, the difference in dye lots will be noticeable once your project is done; so, make sure your dye lots are the same and you have more than enough yarn to finish the project to account for mishaps.

If you deviate from the pattern, write it down immediately and in great detail--you won't remember it later.

Archived