just met my niece

Hello all!! I am so happy that I finally got to meet my 27 yr. old niece. And I am soooo thrilled that my brother finally got to meet his daughter.(Long story there)........

I have a crochet question for you all that live in the East!!! She is from Albany, NY. I would soooo love to make her something to take back home with her. I was thinking of a hat and scarf!! My question is, exactly how cold does it get in Albany???? I like skinny scarves, but should I make her a wider one. I like keyhole scarves because they are short, should I make her's extra long, so as to wrap around her neck a time or two???:think :think And I don't want to ask her these questions because I want the gift to be a surprise!!

Thank you all!! :hook

FREEEKIN COLD!!!!!! Long & bulky would be my suggestion!!!

Congrats! I'm going to get to meet my 17YO step daughter @ Christmas; Hubby hasn't seen her since she was 9YO-ours is also a long story. She lives in Florida, so I'm having the opposite prob - need something that won't be warm. LOL

So happy for you & your brother!

What an extra special Thanksgiving yours and your brother's will be, coming together with a long lost loved one! :pilgrim

Blessings to you and your family!

Thank you to all who responded to my "plea"!! Our Wal-Mart just added Lionbrands "Hometown USA", it's #6 super bulky!! Maybe I'll finally give that a try!!:lol :lol :hook

Yes, it's going to be a very nice Thanksgiving!! Hopefully my niece will be happy that she came down and take from it a few happy memories!! :manyheart

Always make warm things for people in New York State. Remember, we are on the Canadian border. A lot of people don't realize New York is that far north!

I live just north of Albany, NY and yes, it gets darn cold here, especially in January/February when it goes below 0 degrees :wbrr Add a little wind and it's worse !! She will get a lot of wear with your hat and scarf. :yes I think the usual scarf width in this neck of the woods (no pun intended) is about 7 inches.

Thanx guys for all your help!! I really do appreciate it. Going to be going to Wal-Mart(our LYS-:lol)to see what they have in chunky yarn. They do have Lionbrand's Hometown USA yarn, but that is a #6-super bulky!! Never have crocheted with super bulky!! Anyway, thanx again for all the info on the weather in your neck of the woods!! :lol :lol

[quote=..... Going to be going to Wal-Mart(our LYS-:lol)to see what they have in chunky yarn. They do have Lionbrand's Hometown USA yarn.....

If I may make a suggestion: Wool-blends keep the warmth in better in cold country than acrylics and they are just as soft after being washed. I am thrilled that more Lion Brand is coming into our Wal-Mart. Makes the choices so much nicer-:D.

Hope you have the lovliest Thanksgiving ever! (from one Kingmanite to another ;))

If I may make a suggestion: Wool-blends keep the warmth in better in cold country than acrylics and they are just as soft after being washed. I am thrilled that more Lion Brand is coming into our Wal-Mart. Makes the choices so much nicer-:D.

Hope you have the lovliest Thanksgiving ever! (from one Kingmanite to another ;))

Thank you!! I too hope you have a nice Thanksgiving!!

You "peaked" my curiosity when you said from one "Kingmanite" to anoter!!:lol :lol Don't tell me you used to live in this "lovely" town??:lol :lol :lol

[You "peaked" my curiosity when you said from one "Kingmanite" to anoter!!:lol :lol Don't tell me you used to live in this "lovely" town??:lol :lol :lol

Yes, I did indeed used to live there in town, from 1972- 1992. We have been in (now sit down :laughroll) out in Valle Vista since! Can't believe I am so close to another "Viller! :hook

[You "peaked" my curiosity when you said from one "Kingmanite" to anoter!!:lol :lol Don't tell me you used to live in this "lovely" town??:lol :lol :lol

Yes, I did indeed used to live there in town, from 1972- 1992. We have been in (now sit down :laughroll) out in Valle Vista since! Can't believe I am so close to another "Viller! :hook

:faintAre you serious?? That is sooo funny!! Can you imagine how many times we may have missed each other at the yarn section at Wal-Mart!! :lol :lol I can't believe it!!! Do you come to town often??? I've made friends with another 'Viller. She lives in Bullhead. We met last year(went and had lunch with her). It is soooo cool meeting other people from Crochetville!! Talk to you soon!! :hook

FREEEKIN COLD!!!!!! Long & bulky would be my suggestion!!!

Congrats! I'm going to get to meet my 17YO step daughter @ Christmas; Hubby hasn't seen her since she was 9YO-ours is also a long story. She lives in Florida, so I'm having the opposite prob - need something that won't be warm. LOL

So happy for you & your brother!

How about a sweater or 'top' made in open weave motifs in thread - like these?

http://www.crochetsoiree.com/shop/patterns/leisure-arts/33693-medallion-motif-cardigan/

Archived