plarn bag made w/ double ww cotton

mclendon1

This pattern calls for plarn w/ a N hook. I used P&C double WW in Daisy Ombre w/ a J hook (I wanted it to be tight). I knew my bag wouldn’t be as big as the pattern due to the diff in plarn & my double WW. I made starting chain 28, round 5 in BLO to give more defined bottom of the bag, added 5 extra rounds before decreasing rounds started to make up for diff in weight of yarn, I had to fudge in my increase & decrease rows cause I'm just not good at anything w/ math, made the handle 12 sts instead of 8sts. Finished bag is 12” high x 10” wide. I'm slow; but it only took me 5-6 hrs to complete. You can find the pattern here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/grocery-bag-purse The intention is for it to be for my 19yo daughter for Christmas, but she tends to be ungrateful, so we will see...

post-27033-135897472376_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the fuzzy pic & bad lighting. Thanks for looking!

Is the double worste weight cotton different from the small ones used for dish clothes?

Yes, it is twice as thick. I bought 3 cones specifcally for bags. This is my 2nd ever handbag; I have 1 more to do for Christmas. For me, it is rough on the fingers cause it's so heavy; but I'm liking the end result. Plus I'm really big on things that work up fast; the bigger the hook & thicker the yarn, the faster the project!

The only company I know that has it is Peaches & Cream; you can order direct from their website. http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/

Thanks for all the compliments!

Love your bag and your adapting of the plarn pattern is wonderful. I tell people all the time that all patterns can be changed to use plarn and all plarn patterns can be used with like chunky yarn to create the same item. I'm not familiar with double WW yarn but two strands of WW yarn probably would work for most of my plarn patterns. TFS :manyheart

I'm not familiar with double WW yarn but two strands of WW yarn probably would work for most of my plarn patterns. TFS :manyheart

Yes, most likely, as regular cotton is 4 ply & the P&C DWW is 8 ply.

Thanks for the compliment!

Was wondering how much of the cone did you use for this bag? I have several cones of the double WW and was wondering if what I have could be used.... like I need another bag :blush

a little over 1/2 the cone.

That is adorable, I love it. One question, what is PLARN?

plastic bag yarn. If you will google it; you can see how it's done. People cut plastic grocery bags into strips & use as yarn.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived