Fingering or sock yarn for doily??

momtomany

Question

14 answers to this question

If you can use fingering yarn, could you use size 3 thread? I know that some folks use size 3 for doilies, and it's about the same weight as sock yarn (or thicker!). You could use a nice square motif to make dresser scarves exactly the right size.

I was out shopping today and was looking for some size 3 thread to make some bookmarkers for Christmas. When looking around, I found something I liked even better. And, I had a Michaels 20 percent off my entire purchase too, so that helped a lot!

It is Patons Grace 100% Mercerized Cotton. It seems to be a little 'heavier' (very slightly heavier) than the size 3 thread and soooo soft and it has a sheen to it, too. It is in a 1.75 oz, 136 yard skein.

It's hard for me to do or handle small things, and with this, doing it slowly, I think I can probably work with it, since I can occasionally work with size 3 thread when I really really want a thread item. Especially since I can use a larger hook, like a B, C, or perhaps even D or E instead of using a steel (thread) hook. Thankfully a bookmarker or a doily doesn't have to follow gauge like a sweater or other wearable does!

And for your question, size 3 works great for doilies. I made doilies for under my livingroom lamps, and a matching oval one for my coffee table using size 3 thread. And also ones for my bedroom nightstands and for on top of my highboy dresser. I actually used a size F hook to make my doiles for these and they turned out nice. (the pattern was for size 10 thread and a really small hook!) Just watch the size of doily you pick out as the size will increase from the pattern size, using a thicker thread! But, you can always limit the number of rounds too, if you need to, depending on how you want the doily to look.

Grace (Patons) in my experience works up rather stiff, though it should soften over washings (like a wearable).So it shouldn't be too soft for a doily. It's actually classified as a sport weight (or was). Granted, it's been a few years since I bought any of this one, so things probably have changed a bit. HTH

Also, there is NO reason whatsoever, that you couldn't work any doily you want, using fingering or baby or any other yarn. :clap Those doily-ghans that you can see in show and tell, and that there is actually a book for now? WW yarn. Doily. :D Just use a hook appropriate to the yarn/thread you are using, and it should work out. (If you can make a grannysquare flat with the hook and thread you are thinking of, then it should work for that doily) Seems to me, Cotton blocks easier than acrylic, but really, just have fun. :crocheting

HTH, look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

As Momcrochets said, you can use any doily pattern in any yarn/thread, it will just vary the size. Some doily designs can be incompletely made and still look good, in other words just do the center x rows instead of the whole doily.

If you want a rectangle, you might want to investigate bedspread or tablecloth motifs that were designed for thread, you can put them together in any shape you want.

I am an avowed fan of doilyghans. I started making them years ago becuse I can't do thread either but I sooooooooooo love my doily patterns.

it takes a bit of care to choose a good doilyghan pattern from a doily but they are just wonderful. No offense to Round Ripples but doilyghans are just so much prettier :sigh

oops not answering your :? but I just like to push for doilyghans. Maybe you should make just one - it couldn't hurt :rofl

I am an avowed fan of doilyghans. I started making them years ago becuse I can't do thread either but I sooooooooooo love my doily patterns.

it takes a bit of care to choose a good doilyghan pattern from a doily but they are just wonderful. No offense to Round Ripples but doilyghans are just so much prettier :sigh

oops not answering your :? but I just like to push for doilyghans. Maybe you should make just one - it couldn't hurt :rofl

What a great idea Darski. I would love to make a doily ghan as my round ripple wouldn't lay flat. It was not a free pattern. Do you have the link to a free doily pattern that is a favorite of yours and the name of a doily pattern that I could purchase that is also one of your faves? Also what yarn did you use, fingering, worsted weight? I am excited about this idea of doily ghans. :clap

I use Aunt Lydia's size 3 thread. I get it at walmart so it's easy for me to get.

I found this doily pattern that uses Size 3 thread.

Sun-Flower Doily

A pattern for Sock yarn for doilies

Colorful Sock Yarn Doilies

Thanks for these patterns. I printed them off. I bought sock yarn to crochet socks but I will never do it so I will make some colorful doilies. lol Also I very much like the sunflower doily.:yes

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104986

Here's a doilyghan which I have posted in the Show and Tell section - it's a normal pineapple doily made with a DK wool (US = WW yarn I think??) and 5.5mm hook. Just find any doily pattern which you like - there's hundreds of free ones out there and off you go with whichever size / shade of wool you fancy and relative hook - really enjoyable to make and fast :hook

What a great idea Darski. I would love to make a doily ghan as my round ripple wouldn't lay flat. It was not a free pattern. Do you have the link to a free doily pattern that is a favorite of yours and the name of a doily pattern that I could purchase that is also one of your faves? Also what yarn did you use, fingering, worsted weight? I am excited about this idea of doily ghans. :clap

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celtsvintagecrochet/?yguid=234301114

Celt's is a good place to find free doily patterns. The only caution I give is that you want to avoid long chains.

I work in Worsted Weight (a 4wt out of 6wt) as that is easiest on my hands.

Oh and you can never go wrong visiting Rachel's site :cheer

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/doilies.php

Archived