Granny Square Hierarchy

More out of curiosity than anything...

I know that the first row of a traditional granny square is commonly referred to as a "Granny's Daughter"

And a 2 row version has been dubbed a "Saltine"

But what about a 3 row granny? 4 rows? At what point does it simply become a "Granny Square"?

Your thoughts and opinions? :think

I asked a fellow crocheter and she said a granny daughter/saltine is made with the first two rounds

I love to learn new things :)

A grannie's daughter is the first round, a saltine is the first two rounds. I don't know about the grannie's daughters, but I was told the saltines were named because they are about the same size as a Saltine cracker? :think

I would think that the 3rd row is the point where it becomes a granny square.

I would think that the 3rd row is the point where it becomes a granny square.

That's the conclusion I've come to as well. :hook

... and a giant one becomes a blankie.

LOL Indeed it does! :yes

I have some new stripey yarn from Hobby Lobby (ILTY) I'm thinking of using to make a large Grannie Blankie. :hook

If you get a bit fanciful... the 1st round is where you are "birthing" a granny square so that might be the thinking behind the name of granny's daughter. I always thought that anyway but I get a bit fanciful quite often :loco

I have about half a dozen "daughters" I have made but I keep forgetting to make more of them for a ghan. << my bad>>

@ RoseRed - absolutely true :wlol

i dont know if it ws said cause i did not read them all.. but mabey the 3rd n 4th row would be called 'bread' beacuse it's eventuly the size of a slice of bread:lol

I never knew what a granny square was till I bought a book on em. or how to even make them other than back n forth sc/dc/hdc or Trbl. lol.

but now that i know how to make "saltines" i love it. Even thou it takes a heck lot more to make a blanket...I think this is the most fun way to make em.

now to learn how to make a square that is half one color half the other I\I in tht direction

When one of my grand daughter's was about 12, we were talking about just this while I was making a granny square. She came up with the idea that a 4th row granny is a Graham Cracker Square. :lol

Archived