Crochet Gifts For Those Who Crochet?

Well, I don't have any friends or family who crochet, except my little sister. Last Christmas I sent her Turn of the Century hooks and she LOVES them. In fact, I've sent a couple of crocheters TotC hooks and they've always been received well (because they're soooooooooo pretty.)

As a crocheter, I can pretty much be sent into spirals of ecstasy with a few skeins of yarn. I love it when non-crafters pick out the yarn, because they walk into the LYS and just buy whatever catches their fancy - usually weird and wonderful stuff I'd never pick out for myself. :lol

I'm the only one in my family who crochets. My mom knits, for the last decade she's done mittens that she donates to the Salvation Army - she got tired of knitting sweaters and blankets.

As a crocheter though, I love getting pattern books - used, new, funky, old-fashioned - I don't care, I just love to look at all the possibilities.

My mom crocheted afghans however I made her one anyway. I also made her a couple of cross bookmarks and a butterfly bookmark as well as a Fat Bottom Bag and one for her friend. Oh and a cupcake for her birthday.

I wish I would have made her more.

My sister too only makes simple afghans.

I've made her a Fat Bottom Bag, a felted bag, an afghan or two, a girly beanie hat and I think something else.

My grandmother made an afghan or two or was trying, I don't really remember. I made her a giant granny lap afghan. She used it all the time during her last year or two.

As a crocheter I would love:

• Gift cards
  • Yarn I can't find or can't afford. Doesn't have to be fancy LYS yarn although I wouldn't turn that down either. I usually just buy for projects I'm doing.
  • Nice hooks. I'd love ATOTC wood hook.
  • Patterns or pattern books/booklets. There are some online patterns that I'd love to have but just can't buy right now.
  • Gadgets. Who doesn't love gadgets?
  • Embellish-Knit! Machine and a Singer Knitting Machine.
  • Maybe an Ott light.
  • Tote bags. I have enough but I love them. I especially would like a folding crocheting/knitting tote.
  • Subscription to crochet magazines. I only have one sub and need two more.

I could go on. LOL

None of my family or friends crochet either, but I have problems giving anything but crocheted 'token' items to all those loved ones who don't (slippers, bookmarks, etc), but I digress as that's another story. As a crocheter, I would love to receive whatever gift a crocheter thought to grace me with, knowing the work, time and thought that went into it! I'd also grately appreciate any crocheting "tools", books, yarns, gift cards, magazine subscriptions, and the like.......And then, too, giving it further thought...I'd feel especially honored if a dear crocheter were to make a crocheted donation to a charitable cause in my name, in lieu of a gift -that would mean a lot....

This is something I have often wondered about. Would other crocheters like to get a crocheted item from me, or would they prefer something they can't make for themselves, in a craft they don't do, (eg knitted or embroidered or stitched)?

As crocheters what would you rather get, assuming the gift would be a hand-made item, and not supplies or patterns?

As a young woman out on my own, I loved when my grandmother or great grandmother would give me crocheted covered hangers, crochet edged wash cloths, tea towels or pillowcases, or anything for my apartment. I gave my friend an afghan this past week and she teared up. That made my day.

Not a single person in my family crochets. But as a crocheter i have noticed that some of most of us have something we just can't make but would love to have for ourselves. Maybe you love thread but your family member can't figure it out but loves doilies..make her something she can't or would never take the time to make herself.

My older sister is the only one who crochets. And I taught her! She enjoys making afghans, bags, and baby clothes. Since she doesn't work with thread, I am always giving her doilies. Also, I have given her in the past a big tote filled with her favorite yarn, and other times pattern books. Anytime I find the free patterns available at the craft stores, I tear off two and keep one and send her the other. She really loved the tote and yarn!:)

You can make crochet hook rolls whether crocheted or sewn. You can make yarn wrapped rope baskets to keep their wips in. Some crocheters don't make amigurumi's; you could make an anilmal that they might like. If they aren't advanced enough to make one for themselves, you can make a vest or sweater.

My mother is a very gifted crocheter and has made me a large doily, as I love them but don't have much desire to work in thread. Both of my sisters have afghans that she made, but I don't. I think she probably assumes that if I wanted one, I would make it. I would still like to have one of hers, simply because SHE made it! :hook

This is something I have often wondered about. Would other crocheters like to get a crocheted item from me, or would they prefer something they can't make for themselves, in a craft they don't do, (eg knitted or embroidered or stitched)?

As crocheters what would you rather get, assuming the gift would be a hand-made item, and not supplies or patterns?

I used to host a deaf crochet group at my previous apartment (6 hours drive from where I am currently living). I make crochetted afghans for each one in my group. Each afghan is my own design.

In fact, I see my afghan in the background when I talked with a member today! :manyheart We use the videophones which is like a webcam set up with the tv on both sides, much like a visual phone system.

I would think that as giving as crocheter's are, they would TREASURE just about ANYTHING you would make for them. It would actually be something crocheted they would hang onto, and let's face it, we all wanna hang onto sooo much and end up giving it anyway! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi~no one else in my family crochets, and I'm not sure they appreciate my crocheted gifts, either.

I figure, even if someone has the ability to make something, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll make it for theirself. *ME! *:lol I make things for people all of the time and want to keep them, but must pass them on.

For Mother's Day this year my mother made a blue crab amigurumi for my son to give me. It was a complete surprise and very thoughtful. She put a hook in his claw.. because of my blog "The Blue Crab Crochets At Midnight." I could have made that crab, but she knew I was never going to make it myself.

Amdm, i would rather receive a gift in a craft I don't do. for example, an embroidered pincushion would be something I'd love to have but probably never make for myself (and if i did it would not be very beautiful as my embroidery is less than desirable).

in general, I would like to receive something small like a bookmark rather than large like a blanket---am at the stage in life where the "things" have outgrown the storage space. I think a crocheted Christmas ornament would be a good gift---small but very meaningful.

Kathy - your response confirms what I have often suspected. Although, same craft, different area of expertise, is similar in the sense that, for someone who only crochets blankets, a doily would fall into the category of things she doesn't make.

And you are right about small things being as meaningful as large items.

Kathy - your response confirms what I have often suspected. Although, same craft, different area of expertise, is similar in the sense that, for someone who only crochets blankets, a doily would fall into the category of things she doesn't make.

And you are right about small things being as meaningful as large items.

The only problem I see with the same craft/different area of expertise idea is that it could be that the person doesn't make doilies because she just doesn't have a use for doilies. But she would probably still appreciate it as an expression of friendship and if it's a friend you would probably know whether she could use a doily.:)

Gift giving can be so difficult, the more you think about it:think, the harder it can become.:lol

You are so right about gift-giving being difficult. In fact, I don't usually waste my time making gifts unless I am sure the recipient will appreciate the time and effort that has gone into it. But sometimes I find myself in awkward situations, like the current one: I had made gifts for the colleagues who sit in the same room as me ( all of them non-crocheters, but appreciative). Now, colleagues who sit in another room, but with whom I am friendly, are asking when they are getting their gifts. It's being said jokingly, but I know they mean it. The trouble is that they are all super-crafty, and some are crocheters. This is why I have been following this thread so attentively, it really addresses my problem.

The only problem I see with the same craft/different area of expertise idea is that it could be that the person doesn't make doilies because she just doesn't have a use for doilies. But she would probably still appreciate it as an expression of friendship and if it's a friend you would probably know whether she could use a doily.:)

:yes

For many reasons, including impatience and big, shovel-like hands, I don't crochet doilies. I'd also never use one - or so I thought. But I received two from Ville members and I love them. One, a small one, has become my favourite bookmark as it just fits into a paperback and I love to read. The other, a larger one, is also too pretty to put under a vase or bowl, so I think I might frame it against a darker background and hang it up as a piece of art. And I appreciated the work that went into both veeeeery much and all the more because I'd never make one myself :D

Archived