How could they sell this?

I was browsing craigslist this morning for crochet related goods, and here is an ad I came across:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/atq/1328293009.html

Can you believe this person is selling a bedspread that their Grandma crocheted 70 years ago?! :irk Don't they realize the time and effort she must have put into it??

How very, very, very sad.......

So many people have no idea about crochet/knit/quilting/etc. These are "arts" that seem to be getting more lost as generations go on. Nowadays it is all fast, disposable and generic. :cry

SO SAD!!!!! I hope none of my works get treated this way in the future. :eek

Lesson to ALL: Before you pass, give or designate everything to go to folks you know will appreciate and love it! Do not count on your children to value the things you love. Too many times I have seen the treasures and labors of love sold, given to the thrift stores or tossed out like trash!

Lesson to ALL: Before you pass, give or designate everything to go to folks you know will appreciate and love it! Do not count on your children to value the things you love. Too many times I have seen the treasures and labors of love sold, given to the thrift stores or tossed out like trash!

I also think this way. But hey, if someone is selling it and maybe some crocheter will purchase it and treasure it. You never know.

jaye

It's sad, really...But considering the times, the state of the economy, I'm going to give the seller the benefit of the doubt?...If passing this lovely piece on means helping stave off foreclosure, repossession, or help paying for a needed medication or procedure...or food or school clothes for a child, then God's speed -I hope it sells well....At the very least, no matter the circumstances, it will end up in the hands of someone who will cherish it. Either way, I'm thinking Grandma won't be losing rest over what she's left behind...

I also think this way. But hey, if someone is selling it and maybe some crocheter will purchase it and treasure it. You never know.

jaye

I have an irrational urge to rescue neglected crocheted blankets and things. It makes me really have to keep my hands in my pockets at the thrift stores, but the compulsion is there even if I know I don't really need them. One time I did cave and bought a lovely burgundy thread crocheted table topper from an estate sale though, and though I haven't used it yet, I feel happy for having taken in a crocheted waif.

It is heart breaking to see the things made by lost generations of family being just discarded like it is worthless but, there are so many that do not appreciate handmade crafts. It is a shame only another creative person who love these timeless treasures can appreciate these heirlooms.

wow.. That is sad.. I'd sure buy it if i could so it would be in a home who apreciates it.

I have a afghan my g-ma made me when i was born. I could never even Dream of letting it go no matter how tatterd it gets. I am almost 33yrs old.. the blanket has been repaird a few times. and i Refuse to let my kids use it. I have it folded up and it's under my pillow..

so my kids can't fool with it. it is truly one of my most treasured things..

I remember when i thought i lost it forever.. I cryed for days. I moved out of my house and in with my hubby (then my bf). and i could not find it at all... a year later.. My dad called me up and told me to come over he had a present for me. i went over and he haned me a paper bag.. inside was my blanket!... what hapen is that in my closet was some stairs that led to the old Upstairs of the house. wich was now walled off. on these stairs my dad riged a spot for my dresser. he moved the dresser cause something of his fell behind it (he used the room for himself) and found my blanket behind the dresser. i was so happy!

But considering the times, the state of the economy, I'm going to give the seller the benefit of the doubt?...If passing this lovely piece on means helping stave off foreclosure, repossession, or help paying for a needed medication or procedure...or food or school clothes for a child,

This is my thought.

We do not know if she needs the money or doesn't have room. Maybe she has 20 other bedspreads and things from her grandma.

I can't judge her without knowing ALL of her story.

I see afghans in my local thrift store ALL THE TIME!! It makes me mad because there was A LOT of time put into making it...HOW COULD THEY???

This is my thought.

We do not know if she needs the money or doesn't have room. Maybe she has 20 other bedspreads and things from her grandma.

I can't judge her without knowing ALL of her story.

Still they should keep it as an heirloom to pass down to their kids, grandkids, great grandkids! But I see where your coming from.

It is sad when someone does not appreciate a handmade item. But as some of the other posters to this thread have said there may be a good reason why this person is selling Grandma's bedspread. I hope that is the case and not just because the bedspread is not appreciated. I do believe it will end up in the hands of someone who will appreciate it and love it. Then both parties (the seller as well as the buyer) will be happy.

Truthfully, I can see my dolls being put on a table at a yard sale. Unless they crochet or knit themselves, the appreciation is not there. Hence using the afghan you made to the dog to lay on.

But as some have said, times are a little tough, and they may need, but not want to sell it.:ohdear

Please don't judge someone when they sell handmade things. You have no idea to the reason behind it.

I don't feel bad to see this. Just because this would mean something special to you, doesn't mean it is special to the seller.

There could be any number of reasons, including that the Grandmother and this person didn't get along or even like each other. Or perhap, like has been said, maybe she has something that means more to her from her grandmother, or needs the money, or doesn't have the room.

If it is going to tear you apart, that when you go, things you have made will be tossed, or whatever, then perhaps it would be better if you didn't crochet to begin with. Would you want to accept all the craft items from all your friends that crochet and never be 'allowed' to get rid of any of it?

The fun of crocheting, is creating and in my case giving to others special things I have made, but once the gift is given, it is theirs to do with what they like. If I would happen to see someone laying on an afghan I made to change the oil in the car, then so be it. It is serving a purpose to them. For me, it was the enjoyment of creating something.

Imagine what this world would look like if everyone kept every handmade item from the beginning of time, whether it be furniture or any craft. Imagine if we were never to tear down an old house that someone had built by hand.

And I'm sorry, but for an added thought, I have to add this: I make afghans for animals! What's wrong with something handmade ending up in a 'dogs' bed? :dog:rabbit:cat

Great post Autumn -- I guess you're right :yes

And yes, I have crocheted stuff for my dogs, so I guess I really can't say anything......

That's exactly what I was going to say. I have two crochet bedspreads: one my mom gave me that said my great grandmother made and another from my aunt (mom's sister) who told me that great grandma made. I love looking at them, however, my daughter and son have no appreciate for them and would probably give them to Goodwill when I'm dead. Our family is small and there's nobody to give these items to and I'd probably find somebody who knew the value of the bedspreads and who appreciate them to take them. It's so sad the next generation is all about themselves and don't understand what family really means!

Archived