I was wondering

Recently I was asked if it was posssible to print out just one page of a pattern of mine that was in pdf format. Sorry to say the answer was no and it started me thinking. It was for a doll dress and they only wanted or needed to make the doll's purse. Who wants to print out 10 pages when you only need one? So for my next doll outfit pattern I plan on dividing it into several pdfs. One for the main outfit. One for the hat and purse, one for the vest, etc. I ended up with 4 pdfs for the one outfit. That's a lot of extra work so I was wondering what all of you thought.

One pdf or several?

I don't see why they couldn't print out a selection or a page from pdf file...you should be able to do that when you hit print and then options...like page 1 of 2 or the selection option...I've done that on pdf files before.

I think the one pdf is better.

Heck, alls you have to do is a print set up then print and you can choose the page you want. Or do as above, highlight the area and move it to a word dock, then print.:hook

Recently I was asked if it was posssible to print out just one page of a pattern of mine that was in pdf format. Sorry to say the answer was no and it started me thinking. It was for a doll dress and they only wanted or needed to make the doll's purse. Who wants to print out 10 pages when you only need one? So for my next doll outfit pattern I plan on dividing it into several pdfs. One for the main outfit. One for the hat and purse' date=' one for the vest, etc. I ended up with 4 pdfs for the one outfit. That's a lot of extra work so I was wondering what all of you thought.

One pdf or several?[/quote']

I have some pattern files in pdf format that are over 200 pages in length. I can print out all of it at once or just a certain amount of pages or even just one page -- for example page # 98. I just click on print on the pdf file and when the box comes up, I can choose to just print the amount of pages or name the page I want to print.

I have never had an issue with not having this choice. Perhap the issue is the printer??? and not the file!

First, I am not very computer literate so my first answer to the question was several pdf files. But after reading some of the other posts and their suggestions and remembering the brief training I have had with computers I change my vote to the one pdf file. Why make extra work for the designer of a pattern. I understand why someone who wants to make only one portion of a pattern would want to be able to only print that part. But since that can be accomplished by adjusting the print request, why make more than one pdf file.

One pdf. It would be easier for the user so only one file would have to be opened. Someone said you could go to print selections and pick what page(s) to print so that should work.

You can print one page from a pdf file. You need to tell the printer what page you choose to print. When you click on print, a box will come up and in that box is where you select what you want to print, how you want to print it etc.

Be careful that you select the page # of the pdf file not the page # of the pattern - sometimes they differ. Look at the bottom of the pdf screen and it will tell you what page # you are looking at in the pdf file.

Hope this helps,

Toni

Like most have said, you should just make one PDF. I actually download purchased patterns from Annie's attic. They have the Think Pink crochet book there. It is huge as a pdf. so I just select the page numbers of the pattern within the book that I want to make and print only that section. Easy.

If lets say the purse is on page 2. I think when you click print and there is a section that tells you how many pages you will get like pages 1 to 8. If all you want is the purse on page 2 change the pages to say from page 2 to 2. then hit print.

Archived