Hang onto your favorite patterns for dear life!

LOL! Thankfully I printed out the pattern for Turtle Wrap cloth diaper soakers when I first saw it a loong time ago. I started making one for our Frances and wanted to see the diagram I didn't copy, and the link is GONE! I am SO GLAD I have kept it in a page protector in a binder!!!! I will not hesitate to do this now for patterns I know I want to make in the future, because you just never know.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi~btw, it turned out GREAT even though I had to fudge a little and make up the leg trim

ETA and my favorite pineapple shawl~the chair pattern. WHEW! I'm SO HAPPY to still have these patterns now that they're gone!

I understand your relief. I recently checked a lot of my saved pattern links, and they no longer work! I'm not printing everything out, but I do save what I want to keep by making a copy on an SD card.

I don't save the link, I copy and paste a pattern I like, then save it to a flash drive that is only patterns. That way I have it, and if want it later it is there.

I too learned the hard way when my puter pooped out on me about a year ago. When we got the new puter I went Flash Drive because too many websites that "store" for you can inadvertantly close without notice. Now I use 2 Flash drives; one for all my Crochet, Paint and Bead patterns and then one for everything else like family photos, documents. etc. (You can tell which one is the important one huh? heh heh heh) :D

"Hang onto your favorite patterns for dear life!"

Titus2woman, I just want to thank you for the reminder of how fleeting any given web page/site can be, rending their related links useless. I am now in the process of saving my bookmarked patterns! :ty

I email patterns to myself at an account set up just for patterns.
:idea

Donna Marie, thank you, too -that is a great idea! I have just set up a pattern account and am emailing away!

~Hope everyone's weekend is off to a good start...Make it a great one! :hug

That's a great tip. It happens to me all the time.

Also if you make something a bunch you think you don't have to worry about the pattern anymore because you couldn't possibly forget. But then you don't make any for over a year and guess what? You forget. Always keep them handy. I've started a notebook for simple patterns or stitch details for things I use fairly often. That way I can just glance at it for a quick refresher and don't have to search for the pattern amidst all the others I have.

YES! What WONDERFUL suggestions! I also have a delightful granny skull cap with a ruffled brim that has instructions for infant to adult. I LOVE making my girlie (soon to be girlies~just made a matching set!) and I these sweet hats to match, and again, suddenly the pattern link is not working! OH I am THANKFUL for the writer and THANKFUL I have a hard copy! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

• 2 months later...

Since getting my new Dell, I tend to save a lot more "patterns" into files. Haven't looked into a flash drive yet, but think I will in the near future. However, the patterns that have really caught my eye and interest, I do print out and insert into project binders arranged by item. I know I am doing a lot of extra steps but I live out in the sticks and we lose power a lot. I like knowing I can put my fingers on a pattern when the urge to create thumps me up side the head.....lol.

Archived