Sweaty Hands and Squeaky Hooks

Ach, crivens! My hands are getting all sweaty in this heat and then my hook starts to squeak and soon after my yarn stops sliding through my hands easily.

What do ya'll do to stop this?

Rosin bag like they use for bowling...I get mine @ the pro shop where my husband bowls. It's my summer secret weapon :hook....just have to be careful when using on darker yarns because there is a fine powder (it does come out).

HTH

One thing I've learned to do is to relax my hands.....keeping them closed increases the heat in them, but if you can relax them air can circulate better around them. Sitting near the fan is a big plus if you don't have central air. I also take breaks and wash them with cool water now and then. :sweat:whew

Tammy

:haha:laughroll:rofl That is so very me. I sit in front of my fan while I'm crocheting. If I get up and move somewhere else the fan goes with me.

I love my fan!! It does go everywhere with me as well.. actually now I have TWO.. one for the living room and one for the bedroom.. and yes the AC on all through as well :rofl :rofl

Seriously though, what about a hook cushion to keep the hook itself from getting soggy and sticky?

If my hands are sweaty, I can't even bear the thought of crocheting. I find something else to do.

I know that doesn't help, but if I am even remotely warm, the thought of yarn and/or doing anything with my hands makes me itchy.

Luckily, my air conditioner keeps my apartment in "meat locker" conditions, so I am usually looking for something to work on, draped across my lap to keep we warm. LOL!

LOLOLOL...I am laughing because THIS was my biggest complaint yesterday....then my 5 yr old son comes waltzing into the living room with the 12" box fan from his bedroom, plugs it in and plops it on the arm of the couch right next to my hands.

He got big momma hugs...I slapped myself on the forehead in a "duh" moment...and went back to crocheting with very cool hands!

I use to have to same problem. I bought some bamboo hooks and now I don't have any issue crocheting in the heat.

This gives me a reason to buy bamboo hooks in the sizes I use most often =). Haven't been able to justify buying a different type of the same hooks I already have..the whole what I have is good enough complex.....I think I'll start with H...and I'll use a coupon....oooo my mom is coming up tomorrow, I bet she'll get it for me =)

Ach, crivens! My hands are getting all sweaty in this heat and then my hook starts to squeak and soon after my yarn stops sliding through my hands easily.

What do ya'll do to stop this?

I use Dawn dish soap and COLD water. Dry completely. If there's any natural oils on your hands, it just makes the situation worse! I've been know to powder my hooks, but haven't powdered my hands!

• 14 years later...
On 7/19/2005 at 1:05 AM, AidanM said:

I'd like to try lotion, but I can't think of a one that wouldn't make my hands greasy..maybe baby lotion?

Try scensty lotion it works great without all the greasy feeling.

sunnyhayden.scentsy.us