Mixing Yarn Brands in a Single Project - Good or Bad?

I chose a pattern to work on for a special project, and in order to find the colors I wanted to use, I chose Vanna's Choice yarn, Red Heart Super Saver, and some of the new Michael's yarn called Impeccable. Any opinions as to whether mixing these yarns is a good idea or a bad idea? I'm just starting out on the afghan, so I'd appreciate your opinions. All of the yarn chosen is 100% acrylic. (No yarn snob here! - I choose what I can afford, and I've been happy with the way projects turned out with RHSS in the past.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have used different yarns in one project several times. I use what I can get the colors in, but I do try to make sure that they are all made with the same material.

The only different I can see, may be the feel of each yarn. I have not seen the new Michaels yarn yet, as they are still getting the area ready for it.

Yours are all acrylic, so I can see no problem with using the 3 different yarns. Look at it this way, all teh comfort ghans are not made with the same yarn.:hook

As long as the care instructions are the same for all the yarns, I've had NO trouble choosing several brands of yarn for one pattern. The only time to would need to be careful is if you mixed wool with acrylic that you remember to care for it as if it is a woolen item.

I've mixed brands before although I usually try to avoid it (general paranoia & not knowing how to use my washing machine properly are the usual reasons)

The only things I think to look out for are that they are of the same fibre content or mix, e.g. wool or acrylic etc, and that the weights are the same e.g. DK, aran etc.

Since they are all the same fiber content, there shouldn't be any trouble with mixing brands. I do it frequently if I can't get the right colors all in one brand, and have never had a problem. I have even mixed different fiber types, and as someone else suggested, as long as you treat it a thought it is made entirely out of the more delicate fiber, then it will work out. As long as they are the same weight, then it should be fine.

Edited by Pyroteca

Right now I have a project going using 2 colors in Caron One Pound (Natura yarn) and 1 color in Red Heart Super Saver. They are all ww acrylic and are working up beautifully together.

• Thanks 1

I actually like mixing yarn brands as long as they are the same weight/texture. I don't like to be limited in colors that I want to use. My last afghan used RH & I love this yarn. The I love this yarn s softer but I can't tell a difference once it was washed a few times. The cardi I'm working on now has 2 different brands of cotton sport yarn. Both are very soft (microspun & spa yarn). Like mentioned, content is important if you are using wool...you would treat the FO like it was 100% wool.

On my Double Wedding Ring afghan I had to mix brands alot to get the colors and textures I wanted. I put a BIG disclaimer on it when it was sold not to dry it because the only good color and texture match I could find in one yarn was a wool. The lady that bought it was just yesterday asking me about it too. She figures that it will be a very long time, if ever before it will be washed. It is out for look only. I told her as I was making it, it got a lot of use and was very warm to sit under. :lol

:mug:cat:yarn

I've done this a lot, especially for my "scrap sweaters" (it's cheaper than buying all new yarn for a sweater). I've even mixed wool and acrylic--although I'm careful to wash the sweater by hand, in that instance. I find the main thing is to try to match yarns that are about the same gauge. Otherwise, the final product looks weird.

• 10 years later...
On 6/1/2009 at 2:23 AM, Real Deal said:

Right now I have a project going using 2 colors in Caron One Pound (Natura yarn) and 1 color in Red Heart Super Saver. They are all ww acrylic and are working up beautifully together.

I am currently working on a granny ripple blanket and was wondering if those 2 yarns will work well together. Glad to read that they do.

I've mixed brands before. As long as the fiber content is the same. Also, most  :yarn  has a number to tell the thickness. 1 - 6 (7?), thin/thread like to super bulky/chunky. Most afghans patterns say to use worsted weight, which is 4.

Ellie 13