What do you think is new in crochet this year?

I seem to be always behind the trends. By the time I figure out how I want to make something or find a pattern, the items (usually garments) are OUT.... I did this with ponchos, schrugs & many other things over the years. Recently, I finally ordered a flower book & see that the flower necklaces & pins are on their way out too. I'd still like to make a neckpiece or 2 for the fall, maybe out of wool or mohair if I can afford it. This is why I end up sticking with mostly classic things as a result.

I haven't seen any garments that are really new designs lately. Does anyone know what's in the works for the rest of the summer or the fall/winter coming up?

Thanks!

I totally agree with you on classics that don't go out of style, versus anything too trendy. One reason to love the designs in Everyday Crochet by D Chan.

But I have to ask, how can you tell that flowers are out?

Well, you've gotta realize that this is just IMHO. I don't think they are completely out for sure, but when you do a search on Ravelry or Flickr for the newest stuff, they seem to have been more popular the further back you go until about 2006 or 07 at the height. I still like them, but think I will wait to do them for fall in yarn instead of the thread I've been working on. And I'm still working on a thread sweater for myself that I want to trim in some tiny flower. I have seen them on more broaches lately too.

One of the ways I try to keep up is by watching a daily soap. They seem to really catch the trends fast in clothes & hairstyles. I saw thread shrugs there before I saw them anywhere else. And they left just before I started to notice them disappearing in the shops & the neighborhood. I'm certianly not trendy, but I live in a very trendy area of CA. I would like to give some classes & make some things for a "threads" exhibit at our local community arts center later this year. I would like to have samples of something new that people want to make or buy.

Your thread top with flower trim sounds pretty:hook And classes and an exhibit sound really interesting:yes

I read InStyle magazine, but that is about it for me as far as knowing about trends. Isn't lace still in? Like this Armani dress http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/fashionweek/photos/0,,20254189_20259798_20581925,00.html

And there sure are a lot of rich colors in the magazine. Maybe something in a strong jewel color using Irish crochet sort of motifs? Sorry, I'm no help at all:lol but it's an interesting question.

Hats and scarves are always in for the cold weather, and I still see a few decorative scarves around. The biggest thing I have been noticing in stores and on folks is knit and crochet tops in the "empire waist" or A-line style with cap sleeves or strap sleeves (like the straps on overalls. The yarns are finer like fingering, sport or thread, and no bulky's in sight (maybe they will be back in winter). Purses seem to lean toward shiny patin leather ones, I didn't see any crocheted unless felted. Items are either all neutral or very bright and variegated. Layered look doesn't appear to have died off, but furs have.

Soft is big as is cotton and other eco friendly yarns.

This is what I have observed on shows, web sites and newer books. I stopped doing shrugs, capelettes and ponchos.

Why worry about what's "out" or what's "in"? I am not a slave to fashion. I love ponchos I wear them alot and I make at least one new one each year. I do not like flower necklaces wouldn't wear one if paid to. If you like something, then make it and wear it.

I make what I like, and usually anyone I make an item for likes it too.

Don't know if this is any help but over here in England cardigans are very much in for summer.

Short ones with short or 3/4 sleeves, plain or lacy, boleros, shrugs and also the more box jacket shape. The colours are neutral beige or cream and also bright pink, green and yellow, some fastening with one or two large buttons or one flower fastening at the top, some with ties at the neck or under the bust.

As for fall/winter beanie hats with or without flowers and berets (teens seem to prefer them without a bobble) and scarves of all types.

What season are you in at the moment over there?

I'm going in more for a specialty type item this year with variations. I'm making scarves and neck warmers with a variety of yarns and in hairpin lace. I want to create more than one texture in the scarves. Am experimenting now. I want something they can't get in a store and is appealing and a one of a kind just for them.

I have noticed that this summer's fashion is the maxi sun dress,,like the ones we wore in the 70's...with that in mind, I think some of the triangular open weave shawls would be perfect..since the dresses are strapless or have those little spaghetti straps. Have you guys seen those dresses or is it just in the Dallas area?

Maxi sun dresses makes me think of the little triangular kerchiefs with spaghetti strap type strings that we tied behind the neck, under the hair. Those would be cute in filet crochet.

I don't personally care what is fashionable at any given moment but I do like to know what would be good for my charitable crochet work. I like to think that little girls are getting up to date hats and such so that they have one less thing to be bullied for on the school grounds.

When I did garment sewing, I always kept up with what was being made/sold. I would not make the slutwear that was common but I found that by following a line or using the IN colour I could make "fashionable" clothing without dropping my standards. I go for the same effect with crochet.

:wlol

I am no slave to fashion, but I do try to keep up with what's in fashion because I crochet so many gifts. My daughter is 23 and I'm able to save a lot of $$ by making wedding, baby, birthday gifts for her friends. Like with baby things, since the advent of stores like BabiesRUs, there are certain colors that are 'in style' for babies. Go figure. I felt a bit out of it when I gave an orange and purple babyghan to a mom who had EVERYTHING in a sort of pea green. Who knew? Now, I know! One way I can easily keep up with the trends is on my daily walks. If it's rainy, too cold, or too hot, I will often walk at the mall with a friend. Since I'm not a shopper, I didn't formerly pay attention to what was in the windows. Now, I do. I keep abreast of the latest fashion trends and colors by what's in the windows at the mall.

jd in st louis

Your thread top with flower trim sounds pretty:hook And classes and an exhibit sound really interesting:yes

I read InStyle magazine, but that is about it for me as far as knowing about trends. Isn't lace still in? Like this Armani dress http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/fashionweek/photos/0,,20254189_20259798_20581925,00.html

And there sure are a lot of rich colors in the magazine. Maybe something in a strong jewel color using Irish crochet sort of motifs? Sorry, I'm no help at all:lol but it's an interesting question.

That dress is amazing! Certainly not something I could wear anymore, but it would be great to make something similar for an exhibit. Thanks!

Why worry about what's "out" or what's "in"? I am not a slave to fashion. I love ponchos I wear them alot and I make at least one new one each year. I do not like flower necklaces wouldn't wear one if paid to. If you like something, then make it and wear it.

I totally agree with you.:clap

I may be late in saying this (usually a day late & a dollar short LOL!) but what I am noticing more and more are the fingerless gloves. Some are called wristlets, some go all the way up past the elbow, some are lacy, others are fuzzy..I guess whatever suits the persons fancy. I think alot of them are pretty cute & want to make some as gifts later this year.

I may be late in saying this (usually a day late & a dollar short LOL!) but what I am noticing more and more are the fingerless gloves. Some are called wristlets, some go all the way up past the elbow, some are lacy, others are fuzzy..I guess whatever suits the persons fancy. I think alot of them are pretty cute & want to make some as gifts later this year.

My 19 year old has several pairs of these. I saw a spider's web fingerless glove, but would want something a bit dressier to crochet. Maybe if I have the time sometime this year I will design something for her.

Tam hats and berets seem very popular right now. I've made several for myself and have gotten commissions to make several for others. I also have noticed people on TV and in magazines wearing them quite often.

Archived