plastic hooks

gumby28

Am I the only one who really dislikes Lion Brand plastic hooks? I couldn't find my F hook the other day and picked up a plastic Lion Brand one that I don't use very often. It came back to me quickly why it doesn't get used very often. I kept losing stitches I was so angry that I'm going to toss it in the trash.

• 1 month later...

I generally don't like the plastic hooks, except for the Lion Brand Size P, the little green one. I have bought several because I like to do multi-yarn projects and this one just feels good in my hand.

:manyheart

I don't care for how 'bendable' the lion hooks are and they're too short for my hands.

I think the bright 'chrystal lite' hooks snag the yarn. I actually used my fingernail buffing cream and buffer on them to smooth them out.

I love the white bates plastic hooks.

I rub all my hooks with wax paper - esp. the plastic ones.

(BUT - even tho I have them all - I still stick to my aluminum and wood)

my carrier contains steel, wood and aluminum.

I normally don't care for aluminum,

but when working on something dark,

a light colored aluminum works well to "see" where you're at...

but when working on something light,

a darker aluminum hook accomplishes the same thing.

Our winters are dark, cold and long, so I love the wood ones during those times.

~wildrosehips

@>-,----

I love the susan bates crystal Ice ? they are see thru clear..I hate all of the lion brand plastics..they snag , break and above all that .the raised lettering on the finger rest grates into my fingers..which I don't find the same issues on the susan bates they have the decency to place the lettering elsewhere ..gonna order the bates glow in dark set next lol// I set out about 4 or 5 assorted hook's for a project seems it helps me to keep going changing from one type to the other oh also like these plastic hooks I found at Joann's store few years ago, as I remember they were joann's brand essentials ..but never saw them again..one set had sparkles/ the others were just colored..anyone else have these?? I do like plastic at times like the light up ones don't use the light It bugs my eyes , did see a tip to put nailpoilish on the tip to it so doesn't feel like a lazer in the eyes I guess I was not the only one that felt lazer attacked lol , but love the handle and the hook seems to glide nicely..Just know that all acrylics are not made equal. some glide some don't depends on the yarn too..I really like a good acrylic/plastic on soft or ss yarns as they are stringy and somehow the plastic hook doesn't split it

Ps love the wax paper tip..I also get out my fine nail file to new ones but never thought of buffing /cream..I find some of the metal ones need filing too..no wonder people clammer for the vintage hooks they were just made well.

I keep some plastic hooks just in case I need some someday. I don't care for how pliable they are. I also found the Lion plastic hooks too small. I had a neighbor though, who preferred them due to their short length. Nice to have choices!

I like inline hooks, am a Bates hook user. The vintage hooks are wonderful. I especially notice the difference in thread hooks. Whether steel or aluminum, they're super.

Have tried a few bone hooks, but found the tapered neck difficult to use.

I didn't like the Lion Brand plastic hooks, so I tried the Susan Bates ones because I love using her silverlume ones. To me, they are just as bad. My yarn catches on them (all plastic hooks) and doesn't slide easily.

So now, the only time I will use them is to work on a small item for when I just want something to do, where the metal hook aren't permitted, like on airlines and government buildings etc.

The only plastic ones I can stand are my K and P Lion Brand hooks. Maybe I like them because they're shorter. The smaller sized hooks do tend to bend. I definitely prefer the metal ones. I might like wooden ones but I don't have any so never tried them.

I don't like clear plastic hooks they tend to bend out of shape. I do like the hard white plastic hooks that Susan Bates make I use her knitting needles that are made like the hooks and find they don't snag any type of yarn. My very favorite is my half metal and bamboo handle hooks I love these also like the longer handle bamboo needles too they are smooth and comfortable in your hand. I find that the bamboo handle hooks are my very favorite they are comfortable and don't tend to make your hand cramp up when crocheting for a long time.

• 1 month later...

I think the bright 'chrystal lite' hooks snag the yarn.

When I first started crocheting, I was using the crystalites, and only had a problem with the hook snapping after constant use because I was just using them so much and I guess there was too much stress because of how tightly I was holding the hook and also how tight my stitches are. I just bought a set of Silverlites and they glide just as well as the crystalites did for me, though I have no fear of them snapping in the middle of a project. My only fear now is losing a hook which I came very close to doing this morning when I was waiting at the bus stop near my place, and set down my project to take a drink and the hook slipped from the project and onto the ground though I was looking in my bag and around my bag, not on the ground by my feet until the last moment.

I really do not like plastic at all. I've tried all kinds and even the lite up hooks are hard for me to deal with. Give me metal!! My mother however who has just learned to crochet loves them - go figure!!

• 1 month later...

I like plastic hooks when they are 5.0mm and above, but most of my hooks are metal. I always seem to break the small plastic ones. The white Susan Bates hooks are pretty good, so are the clear ones, but I usually go for a more durable material.

Archived