crochet for guys

Whenever I get the chance, between big projects, dr appointments, needing something small to do while watching tv, I crochet up a few things to donate for bingo prizes at the elderly/disabled housing where my mom lives. They play every Friday after lunch, so they are always in need of items. I do hot pads, dish clothes, broom handle dusters, yarn doilies, plastic bag holders, fridgies, small drawstring bags to hold change for vending and laundry. In the winter I do hats and scarves. Everything is always so well received, they seem truly thankful and that makes me feel good. It also is great for stash busting. The only problem is I worry that I don't do anything especially for the men. Of course they all need hot pads and broom duster too, but does any one have any suggestions? Actually, I'll take all suggestions, even the women are probably wanting something new to come in!

Thanks everyone.

After sitting here pouring over pattern after pattern ( my second favorite past time) I have accumulated patterns for bookmarks, coasters, can cozies, and cat toys. Many of them are cat owners! I'm off to crochet some more, but still would love to hear suggestions!

i get a lot of ideas for projects by looking in the "show and tell" section of crochetville. try looking there.

i think it's great that you do that. i'm sure it's really appreciated.

I would do hats for the guys. I don't know what they are called, but the brim is flat to the front of the hat, I'm thinking Bill Cosby used to wear one. Or maby remote controll cozy? I'll look and check back in a few minutes. :)

When my uncle was in a nursing home, I crocheted a little bag that attached to the side of his wheelchair with velcro. He kept his tissues, small notepad, and pen in it.

He also had a problem holding on to his TV remote control. I was going to crochet a holder for it, but sadly he passed away before I could develop a pattern.

A lot of the residents had totebags that attached to their walkers or the back of their wheelchairs. You could make these in "manly" colors for the guys.

Bless you for doing this. :hug

I think that the bags with velcro to attach to chairs/walkers/beds are a great idea. My gram has one on her walker that was sewn for her, and she keeps her pills, water, remote, and tissues in it. Along with the all important cat treats for her spoiled kitty.

my husband looooves scarves- i think its useful for men and there are a lot of patterns..

i was also thinking of hats, beanies for example.

pillows and slippers would be a good idea too. when my grandad was in a wheelchair, we used to knit and crochet some for him to be as comfortable as possible.

last but not least, i saw a pattern for crochet cravattes in an old book i have, but i guess if they would wear them.

This wouldn't be just for men but....my great grandmother (going strong at 102 years old!!) likes it when I crochet or sew grip or handle covers for her walker (she named it Henry). She is a bit of a neat freak and she likes to be able to take off the covers and wash them, so I add velcro to them.

Archived