I sighted 2 items!!

I saw 2 patterns on ebay that are for sale!! WooHoo!! Wait, they look like my patterns. Uh, but that's not me selling them. What's going on?? Uh huh. Someone else is selling my patterns that I am giving away free on my website. Ooh!! I got to email ebay!! WooHoo!!

Aww that's terrible!! :( That's your work and unless you give permission no one but you has right to share those patterns in any shape or form be it free or sale.

I'll never understand why people have to taint a wonderful gift like that. *wanders off grumbling to herself*

I emailed ebay, and they said that they would take care of it. I then emailed the lady a nice imformative letter. I had to go into town. By the time I got back the auctions were taken off. I don't get it. People would take a risk like that for just a couple dollars. The crazy thing was that she had on her auctions that they were originals, and that no one can copy them or resell them to anyone, because it's illegal. :laughroll:rofl:rofl:laughrollWords of wisdom.

Her name was right on the ebay listing. I don't know if it was her REAL name, but yeh I got it. LOL. Oh, I'm so bad. I went back through her history auctions. I emailed every person who bought or bid on my patterns. I told them what happened, and I invited them all to come to my website and get them for FREE!!:devil Another not-so-smart thing that she did was use my photos, so there is MY chest on there for me to find easy enough. LOL

I expected this to happen. It's something that you take a chance with any time you put something on the internet for others to use. That's the way it goes. I'm upset, but it could be a lot worse. I'm just glad that so many others who aren't like that get to use them and enjoy them. That makes it worth it all.

Thank you for the compliment. I've been receiving responses back from the ones who bidded on my patterns. They all feel bad. This one lady told me that a coworker had paid her to knit a blue sweater for her. She then went to the fair and saw her sweater with a blue ribbon on it. Her coworker had sumitted it in a contest and won. Oh. That is BAD!!! LOL. That is worse than mine. You would have to go to work and see that person every day. Oh! That is so bad, it's funny.

It really sucks when people do that. It's not the same as what happened to you but I'd once knitted/crocheted a shawl for my mom that she was using to cover my napping daughter when some woman tried to steal it in the store. She slowly pulled it away from my daughter and then when my mom saw it disappearing she picked a fight with my mom saying it was "her shawl" that the counter girl had meant to "hold it" for her and she was buying it (only more vulgarly). The counter girl even got in on it, trying to offer it for a bidding war style price, (it was a second hand shop). Boy was my mom pissed, but she could prove (security video clearly showed it) that she'd come in with it and my little girl saying "my mommy made it" also helped. Sad thing is that happens all the time. The counter girl there knew my mom owned that shawl, she'd talked to her before about it. As it is I often have to keep a hawkeye on handmade items because they walk away and some people are so nervy they'll scream and swear they bought that custom-fitted item with a custom flower stitched in for identification...

*Sigh,* I'm really sorry for the long-winded rant. In a nutshell I meant to say I understand and sympathize. It's sad that someone would try to make money from creations you so kindly planned to share.

Take care,

Holiday

P.S. Just say the word and I'll edit out the above rambling :)

Kristina,

Wow, I just read the post about the co-worker and the sweater of one of the bidders, wow. I think I would be totally heartbroken, it's so rare that a crafter receives proper compensation for their work that usually a big part of the designer's heart is in every item created. What a shame.

I was SO shocked :eek when I read that someone was selling your patterns then when you said that she even used your pictures- WOW what a nerve!!

For someone to enter a contest with something that they had asked you to make...well, that takes balls!

And to try to steal a baby's cover? I just can't believe that there are such people in the world today. :think

WOW! I actually saw one of the auctions and am sorry to say I thought it was you.:blush Not that you can't auction your own patterns but that person was auctioning many other free patterns as well. That sucks that s/he was doing that but I'm glad to know it wasn't you. :D

Wow. Just, wow. Using your pictures yet ... that's what really caps it!

I know firsthand that people will steal handcrafted items; the blanket I crocheted for my son ... IN THE DELIVERY ROOM NO LESS! ... was stolen off him when he was less than two months old. We were in the grocery store, he was sleeping strapped into his infant seat in the cart. I turned around to pick up some groceries and when I turned back around, no blanket. Never did get it back, either; the store was packed and nobody wanted to get involved. It's sad, but some people are just scum. To sell FREE patterns, though? Yeesh.

I browse eBay on a regular basis and I'll definitely keep an eye out for Kristina's patterns and those on crochetpatterncentral. I'm still shaking my head over this.

This thread should be renamed Crochet Horror Stories. :eek I'm amazed at all the things I've been hearing. I'm still getting responses back from the bidders. Another lady told me about a problem she had. She crocheted her mother a shawl. One day, she went into a thrift store with her mother and daughter. The granddaughter had the shawl wrapped around herself in the stroller. The grandmother turned away for a second, when she turned back around a lady was trying to take the shawl from the girl. She confronted the lady, and the lady started yelling and cursing. She said that it was hers, and the cashier had put it aside for her. The cashier stepped in and said since it was a hot item they could auction it off. What was amazing was that the cashier had seen the shawl not long before and complimented them on the good work. :think It finally got settled by the grandaughter telling them that her mother made it for her grandmother.

It's ok that you thought it was me. :manyheart I understand how that would look. I used to sell on ebay, but now all I do is buy. My username there is the same as on here. I like things simple, so I can remember them. LOL. No, really, I have to be EXTRA careful with making sure I do things right. Since I'm publishing my work, then I want to make sure that I treat other people's works the same as I want mine to be treated. It should always be that way, but I just have to be extra, extra careful to do things right. I'm so sorry to hear about all of your experiences you all have had.

Archived