Apart from yarn and thread, what else have you crocheted with?

bubblefizz

I have a lot of silk fabric and am thinking about cutting some of it into strips and crocheting with that. But I'm lazy, and it means ironing everything first, then measuring and cutting. Well, one of these days...

Curling ribbon.

Considered making a bag out of old grocery store bags (the plastic ones) but didn't have the patience to cut up all the bags (which is where the curling ribbon came in).

As soon as I make it over to the leather store, I plan on making a bra out of leather cording. And possibly a "loin-cloth" type of skirt to match. Depends how hard it is to work with.

And on the opposite side - I have also crocheted without a hook. I used my finger! What can I say? I was bored.

Waiting to get one pattern done, but looking at rick rack. Yep, got 2 pattern books to work with that. :think

Sounds strange, but looks pretty neat on the cover.:hook

Years ago,I made an oval rug from strips cut from old sweatshirts & Tshirts.I started at the bottom of the shirt and just cut them into a continous piece up to the sleeves.Sweatshirts 1"w,Tshirts 2"w.

I'm saving shirts for that right now lol. Hubby thinks I am absolutely recycle crazy rofl, but hey, I can use his old tshirts from work (he's military and goes through undershirts like you would not believe!) and the kiddo's raggy shirts since holes and stains wonn't much matter from what I've read. I can't wait till I have enough to actually get to work on it =)

Marvie

Offhand I think nylon netting and fabric strips are the most exotic things I've tried, though I want to try to find some sort of suitable straw-type thing to crochet with ever since I saw the cutest straw hat pattern in a book somewhere.

plastic bags, dental floss, twine/jute, hemp, sinew (waxed thread, great for 3d projects like baskets), embroidery floss, raffata (which might work well for your straw hat Stacey), nylon cord, thin wire (this looks really nice, thin and spider webby, looks really cool with beads mixed in), various ribbons.

i still think my most unique one would have to be yarn made from a german shepard's hair. i learned to spin from a lady that would collect and spin the hair she brushed from her dog, haha. she gave me a hank of it to work with and it was definately a treat. :)

hadn't thought of stocking material... hmmm that could be really cool.

ive played around with most any string-like 'fibers' i could find, heh. i didn't make project with all of them but im always up for seeing if somethings pliable enough to at least make a base chain. :hook i'm an addict.

I've also tried working without a hook, just to see if that was easier than my Q hook with some really bulky yarn, but I ended up buying an S hook!

I've crocheted ribbon, Beadalon 19 (it doesn't work well!), hemp, nylon tulle, nylon cord. I have a bunch of hair ribbons to work with; I'm going to sew the ends together to make one varigated hank. Don't know what I'm going to do with it from there, but we'll see!

Curling ribbon.

Considered making a bag out of old grocery store bags (the plastic ones) but didn't have the patience to cut up all the bags

I did actually take the time to cut up the plastic bags and made a small tote out of them. Despite the time it took to do the cutting and the reattaching, the tote came out pretty well.

I just bought some wire today......we'll see?!?

But I just don't have the guts to try thread yet!

never thought of using old shirts. I tend to rip them into rags. With the 5 kiddos and we too go through a lot of brown Army undershirts...I should have some way cool rugs by Christmas :clap

I'm saving shirts for that right now lol. Hubby thinks I am absolutely recycle crazy rofl, but hey, I can use his old tshirts from work (he's military and goes through undershirts like you would not believe!) and the kiddo's raggy shirts since holes and stains wonn't much matter from what I've read. I can't wait till I have enough to actually get to work on it =)

Marvie

But I just don't have the guts to try thread yet!

It isn't as bad as it sounds!!! I have been scared of any yarn that required a hook smaller than an I since I started crocheting... I just took up thread a couple weeks ago and I'm addicted! I think it takes finding that perfect pattern that you just HAVE to have (for me it was a golden snitch bookmark - I had to have it for the new HP release). I've barely touched yarn since.

pbnj, is that just the regular packages of raffia you see in craft stores? I'll have to give that a try, it seems pretty cheap for a package...

Melissa, I saw your post about trying to crochet with just your fingers last night, and later on I had a dream that I couldn't find my hooks and was trying to make an afghan with just my fingers :lol

i still think my most unique one would have to be yarn made from a german shepard's hair. i learned to spin from a lady that would collect and spin the hair she brushed from her dog, haha. she gave me a hank of it to work with and it was definately a treat. :)

I've heard of others doing this. I've also heard that if the item you make with it gets damp or wet, it smells like a wet dog! :yuck But that makes sense, I guess. :think

I've made rugs from plastic bags. Also made a purse and a rug out of old cut up fabric. Both patterns turned out great! :clap I'm thinking of using the fabric and the plastic bags for a demo for some pre-teen girls. Our group is teaching them crochet. :hook

Archived