Carnival Ribbon Poncho

goldenj32w2

I was asked to post how I made my poncho, so here goes. Please be kind, I have never written a pattern, and this is untested! If you find errors let me know and I will fix them.

Thanks,

Judy

brown024.jpgbrown027.jpg

Carnival Ribbon Poncho

You will need approx 9 balls of Lion Brand Incredible Ribbon Yarn in your choice of color. (I used carnival)

J Hook

Abbreviations:

sl st = slip stitch

ch = chain stitch

hdc = half double crochet

dc = double crochet

ldc = long double crochet

Note:

This poncho is worked in the round, just like a large granny square. I use a ldc (long double crochet) that is equal in length to my first ch6 in the begining of the round.

Start with:

Ch 80 and sl st together avoiding rolling or turning of the chain row.

Rnd 1:

ch3 and 1 dc in the same stitch as joining. {hdc in the next stitch 19 times, hdc ch2 hdc in the next stitch} repeat {}3 more times and join with a sl st in the 2nd ch of begining chain.

Rnd 2:

sl st into ch space, ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc in the same stitch, (double shell made), dc in each hdc with a double shell in each chain space around. Join with a sl in top of begining ch.

Rnd 3:

Repeat last row.

Rnd 4:

ch 6 in the ch sp of previous row (this will be the length the ldc of each row will need to be) 2 ldc, ch2, 3 ldc in the same space. {ch 2 skip the next two stitches and make 2 ldc in the next stitch} repeat this across to the next ch space and make 3ldc, ch 3, 3 ldc in the space. Repeat this process around and join with a sl st to top of begining ch.

Rnd 5:

sl st to ch space and ch 6, 2ldc, ch3, 3ldc in the space. Ch3 and work 3ldc in each ch space to the corner and work 3ldc, ch3, 3 ldc in the corner space.

(this is just like a granny square other than the lenght of each ldc will be as long as the ch 6.)

Rnd 6 - ?

repeat round 5 to desired length. ( I have 13 rnds on mine)

Finishing:

Cut ribbon into 16" lengths and tie 3 strands in each ch space of the last row, with 6 strands in each of the corner spaces.

:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay

I hope all of that is clear enough. It is very simple. It just takes a little time to get used to pulling the ribbon in the long stitch. Try not to fight the ribbon, let it twist and be free, that is what gives the poncho an airy look.

LDC

yo, instert hook into desired space, yo and pull up to length desired, yo pull thru 2 loops, yo and pull thru last two loops.

I think there is a video tutorial on-line for the stitch.

Enjoy!

Judy

• 1 month later...

Archived