Beautiful lacey garments

If you want to see some really lovely crochet designs, take a peek at this http://doriseverydaycrochet.blogspot.com/2009/01/backstory-superior-crochet.html

Doris Chan's blog entry about a new book of designs by her and Kristin Omdahl, from Tahki Stacy Charles. I love these! My favorites are the beige jacket by Kristin, and the scoopneck shell by Doris, but I think they are all beautiful.

Now, I doubt I'd use the recommended silk and cashmere yarn, but I think these are the kind of delicate crochet designs that are so hard to find and that really show the beauty of crochet.

I really like one or two of the tops, but the rest leaves me cold. I'm not a fan of that sort of crochet, I tend to prefer a more fabric-y look with some lacey detail. I can see it would be a big attraction for people who like to make lacey items though.

I find the book title and the tone of the article/interview very off-putting. It didn't strike me at all as being said with a hint of humour, it seems they really do consider themselves superior. Or maybe I'm just cranky because I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning :think

I find the book title and the tone of the article/interview very off-putting. It didn't strike me at all as being said with a hint of humour, it seems they really do consider themselves superior. Or maybe I'm just cranky because I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning :think

Superior is the name of the yarn being showcased. I do agree that she probably feels that she's part of the upper echelon of crocheters, but when others have touted you about that way it's probably hard not to feel that way. Still, she at least is good about not just sharing designs, but sharing tips on how to design so that others can learn to create. I appreciate that.

Some of the designs do look lovely, but that sort of yarn is out of the price range for a lot of people right now I'd think.

Superior is the name of the yarn being showcased. I do agree that she probably feels that she's part of the upper echelon of crocheters, but when others have touted you about that way it's probably hard not to feel that way. Still, she at least is good about not just sharing designs, but sharing tips on how to design so that others can learn to create. I appreciate that.

Some of the designs do look lovely, but that sort of yarn is out of the price range for a lot of people right now I'd think.

Actually nothing could be further from the truth .Doris is so down to earth and very helpful when needed whether it be concerning one of her designs or even if you are just wanting crochet advise. Her humor is one of her greatest attributes and if not familiar with it , I guess some could take it differently.

Actually nothing could be further from the truth .Doris is so down to earth and very helpful when needed whether it be concerning one of her designs or even if you are just wanting crochet advise. Her humor is one of her greatest attributes and if not familiar with it , I guess some could take it differently.

Duly noted. It's hard to know the tone someone is using via text after all. :)

Well, I tell ya, :lolI'm not waiting to lose weight before I do anything:lol but best wishes to you on your weight-loss goals! :cheer I have no idea what the sizes are in the book, and it may well be that they don't include my size--though Doris is good about including a wide range of sizes.

The blog post doesn't seem snooty at all to me.....As already noted, Superior is the name of the yarn....I've never seen it, I'm sure it's very nice, and indeed it's "superior" in price :P. But I'm also sure there are many other yarns that could be substituted. But since I do think these designs appear excellent, I guess the title wouldn't bother me anyway. As for Doris's attitude, seems to me that she says one time that she's proud of her designs, nothing wrong with that:hook then she goes on to compliment Kristin. I haven't actually met Doris, but I think her humor comes through in her writing. She's posted here in the past to offer help with her patterns, and done so on CrochetMe and extensively on Ravelry.

I'm glad to see crochet showcased in such a nice way, and I'm glad some other Villers enjoyed seeing it:hook

I'm really glad to learn I was wrong, and I feel a bit dumb for not realising the yarn is called "Superior", oops! I usually prefer to say nothing at all rather than say something not too nice, but I'm so glad I made my comments because if I'd kept my thoughts to myself I'd never have learned I was wrong. Thanks for the advice & info. Superlacey patterns aren't really my thing but I'm looking forward to seeing some of them made up here on The Ville :)

They are LOVELY designs. a little too open and lacy for my taste but simply stunning none the less.

Jumping in on the 'superior' topic. IMHO I happened to think that Doris Chan is a superior crocheter. The woman is amazing! I wanna be her someday!

IMHO I happened to think that Doris Chan is a superior crocheter. The woman is amazing! I wanna be her someday!

I agree! And I never will be as superb a crocheter as her, so I bow to her amazing ability. Her IC articles last year were so informative. Even though I have no desire to design anything, I learned a lot about the construction of a garment and how to make it do what you want it to do.

Patty

I like some of them, others are a bit too tableclothy for me. If I were tall and svelt and worked in a profession where I got to stand around being aloof and willowy, I'd probably buy the book and make all of them :lol As it happens, I realistically see myself getting entangled in doorknobs and bicycle chains, having DH ask why I was wearing the curtains, etc.

Both designers are undeniably talented however, that much must be said!

Archived