The zen of frogging

I need reminded that frogging a project for the fourth or fifth time and starting over with modifications is a good thing: I crochet for fun, enjoying the process, and frogging allows me to enjoy the same yarn multiple times. Any input?

I frog in the beginning of making a new pattern I don't know because that way it helps me to learn it right now I'm in the process of learning how to do ripples so I frog alot to understand it better

They say the best way to learn to do something right is to make mistakes along the way. You learn from each one as long as you go back to figure out what went wrong where and why (say that three times fast!).

And frogging to learn something is also a good technique - like rote repetition. If you can't understand the reasoning process for something, repetition with teach it with time.

I tried making a cotton dish cloth for my grandmother over Christmas. I was mostly done when I decided it was way too big. I complained about it out loud and they said "oh it's fine", "just make it a rectangle", "just take some off the end and it will work" (they don't understand how it works). I couldn't just leave it so I frogged it, switched hooks and tension and got it right. Crochet Zen Master John (or not)...

oh yea im in the process of trying out the 6 point to 24 point star/rr and ive frogged it all the way once and frogged it several rows 4 times now but i wont let that stop me i just keep thinking about how nice the finished project will me some time in the year 2012 lol maybe

Janny

If you're talking about restarting or correcting the same project, I've been there more times than I'd like to admit but most of the times I don't really enjoy it, in fact sometimes it gets on my nerves so I start another project so I can "cool off". I can't help but think that the object in question could've been finished long before if I'd done it right the FIRST time and that I could be making other things by then so the "wasted" time bothers me. However, in retrospect, I believe it's been a necessary part of my learning process and once I finish a "testy" project I feel greater satisfaction that when making something that goes without a hitch.

if thats the case then i should be 50 lbs. lighter!!!

I am working on a book cozie (the one "I" created the pattern for :rofl) and have frogged it a couple times...put it in the basket, gone back to it, added a couple rows, frogged them, added another row, and its sitting in the basket now. I decided to give it some personality and added popcorns to it...but i'm tired of it....got 2 more rows to do and put it together...should take a couple hours. :sigh

sometimes it hard to bite that bullet!!!

And frogging is such good exercise. Think of the muscles you use and the calories burned.

Great sense of humor! Either that or you're really an optimist. :lol

I don't mind frogging when I'm learning something new about crochet, but when it's because of my own carelessness I'm less happy about it.

Oh thank you, your thread is just what I need this morning: Last night I continued crocheting despite being too tired to think. And I wasn't even sensible enough to work on something simple. Nope, I had to stubbornly continue with a complicated pattern made even more complicated by increases and decreases. The result? Errors!

After reading your thread I will sit this morning and frog it all back...happily! :)

• 2 months later...
I frog in the beginning of making a new pattern I don't know because that way it helps me to learn it right now I'm in the process of learning how to do ripples so I frog alot to understand it better

Oh my goodness, I can't tell you how many times I frogged until I got the ripple right! I started using Stitchinpick's pattern found here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17132

and found it to be the BEST easy ripple I've found!

Also, my Granny is a former crochet addict (only because she developed arthritis and had to stop). I told her that I had to frog out my afghan and she started laughing and asking what I was talking about. The LAUGH she gave when I explained (rippit, rippit, rippit) was worth all the time I spent figuring frogging and fixing!

Archived