Crochet Doily Patterns

Hello everyone, I was wondering if any of you have a favorite doily pattern that you would mind sharing with me. I recently started doing doilies and found that it is addicting! And I was soooo afraid of pineapples but I have actually made a table topper and now I am hooked on pineapples as well. I wish I could share my finished projects with you but, alas! I am not that well trained with technology as of yet.:loser

Thank you for your cooperation and I enjoy everyone's unique ability for working such a beautiful hobby.:manyheart

Melannie:hook

Hi Melannie! First of all I'd like to wlecome you to Crochetville.....you can find lots of free patterns for thread doily in crochetpatterncentral.com under doily. I'm sure you can find a lot of nice doilies to make. :-))))))

Hi - there is also the Doily of The Month grop at Yahoo - it is a group that does two doilies a month - one of which the members of the group vote on via a poll. I know that several of us here at Crochetville are members if this group!

The doily group is at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/doily_of_the_month/

Stacy....I love the Rose of Erin too. I have the pattern in the original 10 cent crochet book. I fell in love with the pattern the minute I saw it when a friend gave me the book. She used to crochet and not longer made doilies so she gave me her old books.

I tried it once, when I first started crocheting and just got as far as past the roses and then I couldn't get it figured out. About five years ago, I tried it again. Do you know why there are 13 roses in the wreath. Usually in crocheting things are even. The numbers become even when you get to the outside spirals where there are 16 of them. I believe there must be some story about Ireland/Erin with the group of 13 roses and then ending up with 16 spirals. I am not Irish, so I have not heard of any folk lore about Ireland and the number 13.

I made the doily in size 30 thread and starched it with sugar starch, so it is very stiff. It is gorgeous and it is a beautiful pattern. Hope you or someone can shed some light on this mystery doily. Mary

Mary, I had no clue of the folklore around this doily. I have tried numerous times to make it. I get the pinwheel completed and somewhere in all those loops I lose track and cannot get it back. to start attaching the roses, etc.I hope to someday make this doily. It is the reason I started crocheting in the first place. My great, great aunt made that doily in the 1800's. My grandmother still has it. It was made with size 30 thread or smaller. My gr. .gr. .aunt had to have been a master crocheter. It was perfection, or at least to me. Now I will have to research this pattern. If I find the answer I will sure let you know.

Thank you!

Stacey

That's interesting that it is such an old pattern. I think the crochet book that I have would be late 40's or early 50's. It is featured on the cover. I was going to give the doily to a young lady by the name of Erin....but the number 13 kept me from doing it. I guess I am superstitious. I would love to know the history of this doily, especially now that you say it is such an old pattern. I don't think many patterns were written down way back then, so this tells us it was a well-loved pattern then even. I have some turn of the century pattern books and they were using size 50 thread. How in the world did they crochet with that fine of thread with the lighting they had.

I used a lot of safety pins to mark where I was at and I think I had to fudge to get the required amount of loops in...that pattern is not without a bit of frustration. Older patterns were not as precise as those that are written today. They let you make a lot of decisions on your own, or presumed you knew a lot more that one does sometimes.

I am so glad you mentioned that it was one of your favorite patterns and that your gr gr aunt had made it. I'd love to know what my gr gr aunt had crocheted. Crocheting was done by my grandmother, so I bet her sister did too and her mother. My grandmother came from Germany. Now if our relatives had come from Ireland/Erin, maybe we would know the answer. Maybe some Irish heritage crocheters will know. Good luck in getting it done (please keep trying) and I hope you can help solve the mystery. Mary

I am so glad to read others have experienced difficulty with this pattern!! I started this doily 3 years ago and it still sits in a sack. I got up to the attaching the roses round and of course, I didn't have anywhere near the number of loops the pattern said I should. How did you guys resolve this? :think I am using the recommended #50 thread for the first time in my life and don't feel like doing a bunch of experimenting to try and make it work!

There are so many variations of this pattern! I have several and they are all alike in that they don't work out!:huh I am using the same pattern book Mary has, where it's pictured on the cover. Maybe this will be the year I drag it out and try again!

Susan

Crochetrae......After reading about this pattern now, I am beginning to realize that it is a very old pattern. Old patterns usually assume you know what to do and the directions are a general guideline.

Like I said, I had to "fudge" plenty of times. I tried the first time with size 10 thread, mainly because I wanted a big doily and I was a beginner crocheter so size 10 was just a tad easier.. I got the roses on but couldn't get the outside motifs on. So I ended my project after the roses, put on some picots on the outside edge and used it that way.

The pattern always was on my mind so I started again five or six years ago. Every time I would go through my books, there was that lovely doily and I just wanted to make it.

I think you have to decide to just attach the roses to the row below and still maintain the right amount of loops to attach the other motifs on the outer row. Even if it means making two loops and single crochet in the loop below. If you don't have enough loops for the outside motifs, just make more loops.There are so many loops, that I think it just gets worked in. If you have too many loops, just sort of double them up by single crocheting in one loop and the next loop in the row below with no chain between.

Hope you do try it again. I still would like to know more of the history of this doily and I believe it is way back in Ireland's history.

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone just wanted to know if any of you ladies might have ever used a doily pattern to make a blanket for a baby? I know that the doily has to have at least 30 rows but would like your opinion on where I might find some with 30 rows.

Thanks

Brenna

I just made one from the celtwich yahoo group called Silver Surf. I liked this one alot.

it's the kind that you can stop after a repeat part.

i only made 1 repeat and stopped at 8"

the pattern calls for 3 rpeats

used sz 10 thread with and 8 hook

i just got it blocked so no pic yet.

I have the Rose of Erin pattern too, in an "Old Time Crochet" mag (which reprinted vintage patterns) I have yet to make it, but "one of these days"...It keeps calling me :)

I also love katchkan's Pineapple Royale doily.

It's pretty rare that I make a doily more than once, but I did with that one!

Also there is the Crocus Doily (I think there's a link to it in crochetpatterncentral.com) that comes out beautifully. larger finished size...at least 17" I believe (without measuring).

HTH

Brenna, try searching Crochetville for 'doilyghan', there have been several threads discussing this. I haven't personally made one, but I remember the '30 row' recommendation as well as that it should be somewhat solid and shouldn't have chain-loop-holes bigger than 5 chains.

Welcome to the boards! Here are a few patterns that I've used a few times. They work up beautifully :)

http://www.nancyhearne.com/drawingboard/simpledoily.htm

http://www.jacqscrochet.com/vintagereproduction.htm (I prefer to use a size 20 thread with this pattern.)

http://www.jacqscrochet.com/touchoftheirishdoily.htm

The Jacq crochet links don't work for me.

Archived