Equal Time for Susan Bates Hook Lovers

hooklady

Since the poll on Crochetville of favorite hooks shows about the same number of Boye and Bates hook lovers, I didn't want the Susan Bates hook lovers to feel left out so I added a blog entry on vintage Susan Bates hooks.

sbdisp1.jpg

Enjoy.

I am a Susan Bates lover also and for me, forget Boye. I am doing a crochet class at my church beginning the end of January and my instruction sheet for supplies are NO Boye hooks at all. Do not like those things at all!!!

Did anyone else turn green with envy when they saw that picture?? :lol

Thanks again, Emily, for the steel hooks....I love them, and my collection is *almost* complete!! Just have to fill in with a couple of aluminum ones....

What a great crochet hook collection. I love Susan Bates hooks because there more rounded and don't tend to snag the yarn been using since I was nine. I also have her hooks with bamboo ends to them and several collections of bamboo hooks all sizes and lenghs. When they came out with bamboo handles I found I could crochet longer with them. I notice some bone hooks too in it my mom use to crochet doilies by the hundreds when I was kid. Thank you for sharing.

• 6 months later...

I myself am pretty fond of the Susan Bates hooks. Boye Hooks just don't work well for me. I think it may have to do with how tight my stitches are.

I am a boye hook user, but I noticed that I have one of the hooks in the top tier. It is the cream color with red around the rounded tip. I had wondered about this hook (it was given to me by an elderly neighbor who had "inherited" it from a friend whose aunt had passed away. Erma (my neighbor) was a knitter, and the friend gave her everything yarn related, more than 25 years ago. She passed to me all of the crochet hooks some yarn and a few pair of knitting needles as well.

Thanks for the picture, and wow that's a lot of hooks!!

Archived