All-in-One Butterfly Granny Square

Sabra

56.jpg

This is in response to a request for a pattern for a 3-D butterfly square. Hope it suits. :)

Materials Used:

Worsted Weight Yarn

H hook

Gauge isn't reallly important, since you can use any hook/yarn combo, but my finished square measures 5" on a side.

Start with the Butterfly:

Chain 6.

Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each additional chain. Ch 3 (counts as first DC in next row & throughout pattern), turn.

Row 2: Dc twice in first st. (Ch 3, skip next st, 3 Dc in following st) two times. Dc 3 times in final stitch. Ch 3, turn.

Row 3: Dc twice in first st. *Ch 3. In next ch-3 space, work (3dc, ch 3, 3dc). Repeat from * once more. Ch 3, skip next 2 Dc. Dc three times in last Dc. Ch 3, turn.

Row 4: Dc 4 times in first st. Sc in next ch-3 space. (Dc 9 times in next ch-3 space. Sc in next ch-3 space) twice. Skip next 2 Dc. Dc 5 times in last DC.

Now, this is the part where it's a little confusing, & for that I'm sorry. If anyone has a better way to explain this part, please let me know & I'll update the pattern.

Slip stitch in the sides of the rows until you get around to the back of the beginning chain. Slip stitch in the beginning chain til you reach the center (it's obvious when you look at it, trust me). Wrap the yarn tightly four times around the center of the butterfly & cinch it up. This is what gives the butterfly its shape. Slip stitch again after the final wrap (you'll be holding the yarn in your hand just like for any other stitch.

Next, you'll form the granny square. Only the first part of it is tricky, after that it's like a normal granny square.

Slip stitch around the yarn wrapped around the back part of the butterfly. Chain 2. Slip stitch in the yarn wrap again. Chain two again. Join in the first chain. This will count as your starting ring for the granny square.

Round 1: Ch 3. (Counts as DC). DC twice more in first half of starting ring. Ch 3. Dc 3 times in first half of starting ring. Ch 3. Dc 3 times in second half of starting ring. Ch 3. Dc 3 more times in 2nd half of starting ring. Ch 3, join to first DC.

Round 2: Sl st in first 2 sts and in first ch-3 space. Chain 3, 2 Dc in ch-3 space. Ch 3, Dc 3 times in same space. Ch 2. *Work corner (3 DC, ch-3, 3 dc) in next ch-3 space. Ch 2. Repeat from * around to beginning. Sl st in first DC.

Round 3: Sl st in first 2 sts & in first ch-3 space. Ch 3, 2 Dc, ch 3, 3 dc all in same ch-3 space. Chain 2. *Dc 3 times in next ch 2 space. Ch 2. Work corner in next ch-3 space. Repeat from * around, joining with sl st to first DC.

Rounds 4, 5, & 6 are made in the same manner as Round 3. Finish off at the end of round 6, & weave in your ends.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to make the pattern clearer; I'm a lot better at crocheting than at writing patterns!

This is PERFECT for what I was looking for. Thank you so much! I plan to use thread, putting butterfly squares every so often and "plain" ones throughout, making a vest. I can even see this on the side of a hat. :cheer :cheer Whoo hoo!

Sandra Johnson

This is cute....I am picturing about 9 of them sewn together to make a great pillow!! My daughter loves butterflies....probably make the square 2 toned though....white square with different colored butterflies and rotating the squares so the butterflies are fluttering in all different directions.

(slapping self in hand cuz I already have many projects in my head!!):blush

Crochetfun, how about a triceratops head? In profile? I spent some time on it tonight but I'm doing a few different versions & I don't know what I'll wind up with.

And yeah, I take requests, as long as it's for simple/small stuff.

Crochetfun, how about a triceratops head? In profile? I spent some time on it tonight but I'm doing a few different versions & I don't know what I'll wind up with.

And yeah, I take requests, as long as it's for simple/small stuff.

Simple being a relative term! You are amazing!

• 1 year later...

The theme for my youngest (16 months) daughter's room is butterflies...this will make excellent blankets and throw pillows for her :D Maybe even a cool wall hanging....hmmmmm........

You're awesome! Thanks for sharing with us

Very nice square. Very eye pleasing. I have had the yarn for 3 years to make my daughter a really femine afghan. You know a keepsake to show her kids when she grows up. But I have never found a design I like enough to commit the yarn too it. But I think with your lovely butterfly square I could make a very nice keepsake afghan.

• 2 months later...

this one is so neat.

I wan't planning on doing any squares for awhile but im gonna have to try this one LOL

I made it WOO HOO

Had to frog about 12x before i figured that i just could not get it to work without using chain 7 on begining chain.

it is really adorable! Thank you for the pattern :)

I will post a pic later today. I had just bought a 24 pack of duracell batteries for my camera and every single one of them is dead AGGGGGHHHHH :(

Archived