Sugar & Cream vs. Peaches & Cream

diamond

Is it yarn or thread? I tend to think heavy thread. But to my question: I can never find Sugar & Cream but can always find Peaches & Cream. So my question is: what's the difference between the two. I know Peaches & Cream is cotton and comes either in small balls or larger cones. I like Peaches & Cream very much but I read where some of you use Sugar & Cream and I wonder about it. So what's the deal? Is it like Peaches & Cream? Come in the same basic colors? Curious minds wanna know.

This is funny: we were asking about the same yarn. Sorry I did not see your post earlier. I can't get peaches and cream around here. Sugar'n Cream seems like yarn to me.

Absolutely the same. Peaches N' Cream is a little cheaper in price and I think Sugar N' Cream has a better selection of colors overall. But I use them interchangably...whatever I can get my hands on at any given time.

Thanx all for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I kind of thought they were the same but wasn't sure.

Both are ww cotton yarn. Sugar N Cream is what is predominant here (North). I prefer the color choices and feel of it to Peaches N Cream. I can only get Peaches N Cream at Wal-Mart and it is almost 1/2 the price of Sugar N Cream.

The Peaches N Cream has less yardage on a ball too i think. Either that or i crochet looser with it. Beware of that. I got caught in that trap :) But they are the same, one is just a slightly cheaper wal mart version. I swear by both of them. We dont' have a wal mart near us so I dont' get much of it.

Here, I can get both for the same price. Wal-Mart carried Peaches, and the craft stores carry Sugar&Cream. I definately like the color selections of Sugar&Cream much better, but otherwise I think they are pretty comparable.

All the so-called ‘kitchen cottons’ are 4 ply unmercerized cotton. The most common products, in addition to the Elmore-Pisgah Peaches & Crème and Lily Sugar’n Crème, are Bernat Handicrafter, Lion Brand Cotton, Bernat Handicrafter and Bernat Cottontots. Elmore-Pisgah has the biggest colors selection by far, http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/prod01.htm, otherwise I have never really noticed much of a difference between Peaches & Creme and Sugar'n Cream. My personal favorite is Lion Brand Cotton for it's firmness and Bernat Handicrafter for its softness..

In varying degrees they all fade and sometimes the colors run. That is why so many people soak their finished items in a vinegar bath. Also in varying degrees, they all pill; Lion Brand does this less than the others. I like them for kitchen items and baby play cloths but don’t think any of them are really what they should be. I always scour for sales of 100% cotton, mercerized and unmercerized, to use for a purse, yarn tote, shawl, blanket, toy and the like where I want to avoid the ‘worn’ look into which all items made with kitchen cotton seem to evolve. I have had good success with Rowan, Yaeger and Jo Sharp cottons that have been discontinued as well as miscellaneous South American cottons. Since none of the kitchen cottons, other than the cones, have all that much yardage for the price, especially the ombres, the additional cost for the better cotton is definitely worth it.

EugeneClarence

What does "pill" mean? In regards to cotton....what is pilling...or pill....they all pill?

I used the Sugar and Cream 'soft ecru' for my Potter doll's heads and hands, (except for Snape).

The cotton yarns make great yarn for dolls because they feel so nice and soft and comfortable.

I also got three cones of Sugar and Cream 'fairy tale' on clearance, which I am making into a baby blanket. I thought it was a good idea at the time. Is this a bad choice to use for a baby blanket? Once it is washed a couple of times, does this pilling stop? Will it shrink a whole lot?

Oh, now I'm all worried!!!! :P:lol I thought it would feel so nice, soft, and natural to a little one.

Ok, this is my own personal experience. I use A LOT of sugar and cream. I have never noticed "pilling". I made a baby blanket out of cotton tots. Although I gave it as a gift, I just don't see it as holding up like I would like after many washings. Cotton Tots reminds me of cotton balls spun into yarn. It's soft, but I don't think it will hold up. Who all got pills on their cotton? Anyone else NOT?

Ive never gotten pilling from using cotton, such as S&C or P&C....I had one dishrag for about 2 years washed weekly, no pilling. Ive also used it in house slipper, again weekly or bi weekly washing , no pilling.

Ok, this is my own personal experience. I use A LOT of sugar and cream. I have never noticed "pilling". I made a baby blanket out of cotton tots. Although I gave it as a gift, I just don't see it as holding up like I would like after many washings. Cotton Tots reminds me of cotton balls spun into yarn. It's soft, but I don't think it will hold up. Who all got pills on their cotton? Anyone else NOT?

Apparently the pilling issue doesn't seem to be a universal problem. I have had a lot of pilling with Peaches & Creme and Sugar'n Cream. Many others have complained about this problem as well as the fading and dye running issues. I guess satisfaction with yarn is a very personal thing.

EugeneClarence

I'm not sure who to thank for all this information. Wow...I've learned more about cotton yarn in the last 15 minutes then in the last 6 months!

Just a side note. I have a dishrag that I knitted (I know, oh the horrors, knitting) with Sugar and Cream 5 months ago. While I notice no pilling, it has faded somewhat.

Maybe the pilling and fading issue has more to do with water quality? I know we have hard water here, which tends to fade clothes faster.

Just my 2 cents.

Archived