Christmas Bell

funygirl38

Hello All,

I think I posted this pattern in the wrong forum so I decided to post it here too.

I posted this pattern first on my art site, DeviantArt, here's the link to see what the finished product looks like,

http://funygirl38.deviantart.com/art/Christmas-Bells-103957832

I'm quite proud of myself for once..I was at work, thinking on a bell pattern I'd tried the night before while crocheting with my mom at the kitchen table. The resulting bell was rather misshapen, short and squat, not much like a bell at all. So on a whim, I tried a pattern of my own design, something I thought up and lo and behold, it worked! The challenge now was to write it out into a working, readable form and I think I managed just that. I'll try it on my mom, see if she can read it and then I can be sure but it works for me.

If anyone catches any mistakes as this is my first pattern and there are bound to be some, please feel free to correct me and I'll alter the pattern. Other than that, have fun with it.

Merry Christmas!

Crocheted Christmas Bell

Size G hook or larger depending on preferred bell size.

Red Heart medium worsted weight yarn in christmas colors

(you may use sport weight, baby yarn or crochet thread( for crochet thread, use steel crochet hook size 7) for this pattern as you like but remember that the bell will be smaller as well.)

Rnd 1: Leaving a long tail on the beginning ch, ch 2, 6 sc in second ch from hook. Join with slip stitch to first sc. 6 sc

Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in each ch around. Join with slip stitch to first sc. 12 sc.

Rnd 3-4: Ch 3, dc in each sc around. Join with slip stitch to 3rd ch of first dc. 12 dc.

Rnd 5: Ch 1, 2 sc in each dc around. Join with slip stitch to first sc. fasten off. 24 sc.

Rnd 6: With contrasting color, slip stitch into any single crochet, preferably nearest the point where you fastened off the previous row. Ch 1, sc in each sc around. Fasten off and weave in ends. Take the long tail at the top of the bell and reach through the top hole of the first rnd. Pull the tail through but leave enough on the outside of the bell to form a loop for hanging. Tie a small jingle bell to the tail dangling inside the bell and snip off any excess yarn ends.

Alt Rnd 6: If you wish the bell to be one solid color, do not fasten off on rnd 5. After joining with slip stitch, ch 1, sc in each sc around then follow remainder of rnd 6 instructions.

Oh I love the colors that you used! I also like the way the bottom of the bell flared out with your adaptation, now i'll have to try it too, lol! I tried a variation on mine also. At the contrasting color, I chained 1 and turned my work so I was looking at the outside of the bell then I sc in ea sc but when I would come even with the dc, I would do a FPtr with the contrasting color..I'll have to post a picture of it.

That is adorable! I thought I had enough bell patterns but after seeing this one, I knew I didn't. Thanks.

Bonnie

:clap THANK YOU!:hook

I am going to crochet these cute bell ornaments up to put in my son's 2nd grade goodie bags. I tried one last night and they work up so quickly! I think that I am going to do them in white and "trim" the bottoms with red and green.

What a good idea, I hadn't thought of that use!

such a cute little bell, that I too made one. On rnd 6, I did a reverse sc <left to right> I think it gives it a little touch. Hope you agree.bell2.jpg

This looks delightful, I love the twirled look..now i'll have to try it too...feel free also to laugh as I had to look up the reverse sc since i'd never done it..but i'm a quick learner! The finished look of the edging is wonderful so I'm sure once I use it, i'll be trying it on more than just the bells.

Really a GREAT pattern..Thanks for sharing..Looking forward to seeing MANY more patterns/creations from you..

Lol, I am almost inclined to believe that this was a flash in the pan but one never knows. The more I learn from doing and reading patterns, the more I experiment. Perhaps I will try again with another ornament.

Archived