where do you store your stuff?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before my son grew up and moved away, I had it....well, everywhere! Under the bed, in closets, etc. When he moved out I quickly remodeled his room and it's now my hobby room. I felt safe in doing so since he got married and I was pretty sure he was out for good! Still, it never seems to be enough room for all my stuff! :D

I agree. Im not going to buy this at all...if I do need something like it, I think I will just make my own.

Thank you for your opinions on it!:cheer:clap

I am going to buy this though..... it looks like just what I need to take my WIP with me when I go babysit my grandson! :hook

4036a.jpg

Is that the one made by Lion Brand? If so, you might want to check the measurements. I have one that looks identical to your picture that I ordered from Joanne's and it is great for yarn storage but way too big to tote around. (IMHO, of course) I keep mine next to my recliner with all of my WIPs stored in it. The top of the container is as tall as my end table! and does hold a lot of yarn.

If this is not the Lion Brand yarn container, please post a link, as I would love to get a smaller one! :hook

Sigh! I don't know about the rest of you, but my ever growing stash has been banned to the basement, sigh!!!!

I really don't see the problem with ten or is it eleven totes of yarn.

I mean like some of it is odds and ends!!!!

Teapot:think

For my current project I keep it in a small diaper bag that I received in the hospital. It has a large zipper compartment with a built in pocket, an outter zippered pocket and one small size pocket on each end. I works really well for me...it is small enough to grab and go yet large enough to hold upto a toddler bed sized afghan.

Sigh! I don't know about the rest of you, but my ever growing stash has been banned to the basement, sigh!!!!

I really don't see the problem with ten or is it eleven totes of yarn.

I mean like some of it is odds and ends!!!!

Teapot:think

Same here, but we just don't have the storage upstairs for my stash. And actually, the lighting is better there, so if i'm digging in a bin, i can see it better.

Is that the one made by Lion Brand? If so, you might want to check the measurements. I have one that looks identical to your picture that I ordered from Joanne's and it is great for yarn storage but way too big to tote around. (IMHO, of course) I keep mine next to my recliner with all of my WIPs stored in it. The top of the container is as tall as my end table! and does hold a lot of yarn.

If this is not the Lion Brand yarn container, please post a link, as I would love to get a smaller one! :hook

yes, it is the lion brand one. :) I think I will go check out walgreens first! ;)

WOW! holy cow is that ever huge!! must of been very popular! it's still going for a sweet price. more than I want to pay! LOL

thanks for the link to see what it looks like!:hug

Right now I use this really cool skull and roses tote I found at ross for my WIP's and stuff I'm taking somewhere. I don't have very much yarn (( lost a lot to a past room mate situation lesigh) so I keep it in one of the reusable grocery bags from Albertsons. My patterns I have in a huge ring binder and stuffed the coupel book sI have in there as well...except my Happy Hooker book which goes with me everywhere.

Oh and...

HOLY CRAP I remember those Le Bag things from the 80's. When we would go to Disneyland or Knotts Berry Farm my mom would carry one and it held all our coats ,a water bottle, some snacks and juice boxes or whatever. I think mom still has the one we used. Hmmmmm from the looks of ebay looks like I may have to talk her into putting it up on there!

Underbed storage rocks! We live in a 2-bedroom apartment, I have a husband, 3 kids and a cat, and I find it is the best way to store my yarn. I have 2 under my bed and 1 under my girls' bunk bed. LoL I also have a full yarn tote at the end of my bed, a garbage bag-full in the hall closet, and 3 shopping bags stuffed into my closet. I only have 1 real book and a few leaflets, so I just keep them in my nightstand drawer. My current WIP's are in a shopping bag next to the couch so I can crochet at night while my hubby plays video games. LoL My hook cases are on my computer desk hutch, along with a small bag of "accessories"- scissors, tape measure, needles, etc.

As for the photo of that yarn tote, I found one just like it at the dollar store! It is technically a laundry tote but it would work wonderfully to store WIPs or something.

HOLY CRAP I remember those Le Bag things from the 80's. When we would go to Disneyland or Knotts Berry Farm my mom would carry one and it held all our coats ,a water bottle, some snacks and juice boxes or whatever. I think mom still has the one we used.

I'd swear that in two of the bags, you'll find the kitchen sink or Jimmy Hoffa.

I'd swear that in two of the bags, you'll find the kitchen sink or Jimmy Hoffa.

No kidding. I always thought mom would pull out the kitchen sink lol. I still to this day wonder how she could have carried that thing full of stuff around amusement parks????

I have yarn everywhere.. In tubs in the washroom and in the bedroom about 7 of them, I have a 5 shelf cupboard full then I have a lot of yarn beside me all the time in stack bins etc. I also have a few boxes of yarn including the big box I just bought from Angelicrafts.

I have books and magazines everywhere also. I have 3 binders for the free patterns and some pattern books. the rest are in magazine holders. I need to organize don't I

Right now I have only a few small pattern books of my own and a bit of yarn, so it's being kept in a couple places in the house. The books, including the ones I borrowed from my mother, are in a basket beside the couch. The yarn I have left over or bought for near future projects is in bags in my bedroom closet. Once I get my basement organized, I plan on keeping the excess in plastic totes down there. My hooks are all making their way into my pencil case on hubby's desk, and the project I'm currently working on is anywhere the cat can't get to it when I'm not actually working on it. lol

I am just LOVING the reading in this thread!!!

Ok so I sorta quasi-organized my stash lol...

We have built in cabinets in our living room... they're each about 2 1/2' wide, 2' deep and about 6' tall.... I've taken over 2 of them and have the yarn stacked double deep on each shelf lol... not organized in the least as far as same colors, types of yarn, etc... but it's all there - EXCEPT for my thread.. that is behind me right now (at least part of my stash) because I am working on teacher gifts for XMas... my fabric stash is in a plastic 2 drawer bin... my hooks, needles, accents, etc are also behind me in 2 large wooden decorative boxes (hooks themselves are stored in plastic pencil boxes - an I have 4 full of them)... Patterns and books are in my office cabinets and in binders... not fully organized with the printed ones yet but certainly on my way lol... once I locate my camera I will post a pic of the stash cabinets lol...

As for the works in progress, the bookmarks are behind me on my interim craft table and I take my Vera Bradley backpack (gift from my kids for my BDay last year) - it's stuffed right now with a couple of balls of thread and my dishclothes for when my hands need a break from tiny work lol... other WIP's that are on hold are stuffed into the yarn stash on the shelves that have room for them lol...

Michelle

I love reading what everyone does with their stuff, and wow, some of you have a LOT of stuff!

My stash is pretty tiny. I try to work on one or 2 projects at a time because once I figure out directions I keep them in semi-long term memory. But right now all of my yarn is in these little plastic things: http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/sterilite--plastic-container--large--18964306 There are I think 6 of them, and they've stopped selling that color top at Target but it's a pretty light blue. When I'm not doing anything I keep the couple books I have, the free patterns, and hooks & other stuff in one. Random yarn I have no projects in mind for fill up 3 of them. I keep the hooks, scissors, needles, and a few safety pins in this little purple case I got from JoAnn's that had a small sewing kit in it. It's a little bigger than an eyeglass case and the top 1/3 comes off so you can see the top inch of the hooks. When I'm doing a project I keep the pattern, beginning crochet book, and hook case, plus the yarn for it in one container. They go in the office along the walls. DH and I put up those grey wire shelves in the office and the majority of that is my crafting stuff. I'd take a picture but it's the most unorganized room in the house. Everything just got dumped in there when the floors got redone and we're still unpacking it all :)

I really like the idea of those canvas hanging things. DH got a set of them and I put a couple sweaters on them but some are unused.. I could expand into our closet! He'd be so pleased :)

I'm at college so I don't have lots of room to store stash. I keep two 21 gallon tubs under my bed, but that's only about 20% of my yarn stash. Current projects sit on my desk, on my dresser, on my windowsill...I'm not very organized. :) I don't own ANY crochet books. I simply work with free patterns I find on the internet, or I invent my own.

It could be worse. I have a friend who has a whole disorganized room in her house for yarncraft. Yeesh!

We lived in another house for 19 years and we desperately needed a larger house, so we moved about 4 years ago. You know what they say - the amount of stuff expands to fit the space available. Well my yarn decided to be the stuff that expanded. We had one tiny closet in the master bedroom before - now we have 2 walk-ins. Guess what fills over half of each? Yep, yarn. We didn't have a guest room before - now we do. Guess what fills the guest room closet? Yep, yarn. We had no den before - now we do. Guess what has taken over? yep, yarn.

I have put myself on a serious stash-busting diet. No more yarn buying until I free up some space. The DH didn't even have to say anything; I saw for myself that if I didn't do something we were going to have to have a bigger house soon. So, everyone I know is getting something from me for Christmas, whether they want it or not. Not really, if they wouldn't appreciate it, I won't give it. But lots of folks have asked for things, so Christmas will be the perfect opportunity to give it to them.

I keep most of my yarn in large clear closing tubs from Big Lots, that was the only place I could find the ones I could see through and I wanted to be able to see what was inside. I also use the EX large Ziploc storage bags, and the EXX, and the EXXX - lots of them. Most of the yarn is not organized, so when I need something, I have to look in several places to get what I need. Really need a good organizer. Anyone in south GA want to tackle the job?

Started out in 1 dresser drawer. Now--it's 2 dresser drawers, a box in the clothes closet, & 2 hat boxes stuffed to the brim with Magic Crochet and Decorative Crochet magazines. (Plus all the patterns I've found on the internet that are stored on a flash drive.) It's an ever-growing monster that I love!!:manyheart

My crochet hooks and knitting needles are in vases and special coffee cups on an antique dresser in the living room. The dresser holds yarn and books and craft kits.I also have two under the bed storage totes.My son will soon outgrow his toy room then I can have a craft room.

My mom discovered and now copied the idea of using tins, drilling or punching a hole in the top or side, then use a rubber groumet (found at Lowes or Home depot) to finish the whole.Between us we have different sizes and shapes. something to do with those holiday tins.They hold current projects, I use one for notions.

I keep my books in a file organizer, some older yarn in a rubbermaid, and my current projects are in a large marathon gear check bag! My dog has decided that he's a cat and wanted to play with my yarn stash. They were just out on the floor, but now they're in the bag just so the dog leaves it all alone.

I also have some at my parents house in a closet. I went on a shopping spree to get all the yarn I would need for Christmas but my return trip to school was by train, so I had to leave some behind.

I'm currently using a pencil case for my hooks and things because it was only 99 cents, but I'm thinking of crocheting myself something after the holidays are over.

Archived