where do you store your stuff?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't tried this, but if you have a lot of stash taking up room, I wonder if those space bags would work? You know, suck the air out and make the whole package smaller?

From what I've seen personally, space bags work well for fluffy yarns, or ones that just aren't wound up very tightly. Like fun fur, boa, some baby yarns, etc. I tried seeing if they'd shrink down Caron Pounders and Red Heart Giant and discovered that they are pretty much as compressed as they are going to get already!

My current wip is kept in a zippered tote bag near my chair. It goes wherever I go, so I have something to do with my hands. My hooks are in a zippered bag labeled "mom's crochet hooks". My stitch markers and hook markers are in there too, along with folding scissors and a small tape measure. My books (less than 5 total) are on the shelf near my chair. Printed patterns are in sheet protectors in a notebook on the same shelf. My stash, which used to be in a large tote (until it got stolen-stash and all) is now in a laundry basket underneath the end table. (As soon as the stuffed animals are all washed, they get the basket and I get the storage tote. ) I try to keep it all near where I work, for now. The completed projects are in the Christmas gift storage area, already wrapped. (I know. You can slap me if you need to........lol)

I have potential storage space for more yarn and totes already earmarked. I'm also telling everyone that I want yarn for Christmas, so I can rebuild my stash. With luck, my living room closet will turn into a yarn stash closet. So many shelves, so little yarn.

Go here to see one I made. I really don't use it too often though.

I agree. Im not going to buy this at all...if I do need something like it, I think I will just make my own.

Thank you for your opinions on it!:cheer:clap

I am going to buy this though..... it looks like just what I need to take my WIP with me when I go babysit my grandson! :hook

4036a.jpg

I have that book and love it, some of the "200 blocks" are just colour variations though, that's my only complaint about it.

Great! it sounds like something I can learn from and maybe attempt an lapghan! LOL

It's going on my xmas list.. my daughter wants to buy me something like it..so I am going to suggest this one.

Thank you!!

My hooks... well honestly they're EVERYWHERE! I have too many to even count. I always keep the hook I'm using for a particular project with the project because I can never remember which hook I'm using. The rest I TRY to keep them in an old Crystal Light container that is just the perfect size for them... but they usually end up everywhere. Occasionally I go on a mad hunt for them and round them all up...

:hook

I have found to keep my hooks together; an empty Kraft Parmesean Cheese container works well. I put them all in and keep it in the bottom of my tote.:hook

I use latchable storage containers that i get from wal-mart. they didn't have them on the wal-mart website, but target has something similar. Here is the link to them: http://www.target.com/Sterilite-70-qt-Ultra-Latch-Storage/dp/B000AVMU3O/qid=1226087045/ref=br_1_1/188-7333606-9263144?ie=UTF8&node=13825601&frombrowse=1&pricerange=&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=13825601&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=1

The ones that I get have many different sizes, from the shoe storage container size to the huge storage containers. I don't buy the smallest size, but some that are a couple of feet high and then the smaller ones that are less than 1 ft high. They all stack well together as well. I keep afghan projects in them because once folded up they will fit and then everything that i need is all together and when I want a certain project, I just grab its bin and go to town.

I also store my yarn in these containers, so there are a lot of them with random yarn, sorted by color or type of yarn or both!!

Another thing that I used to do was get sweater hangers from target (they have canvas ones that are the best as far as quality and durability go..plus they hold a lot of weight!) but now my closet is too full of clothes for me to use any for my yarn. Here is the link to the hanging sweater organizer: http://www.target.com/Canvas-6-Shelf-Garment-Organizer/dp/B0016BRFG4/sr=1-6/qid=1226087727/ref=sr_1_6/188-7333606-9263144?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Acanvas%20organizers&page=1

$14.00 isn't bad considering the plastic ones are almost as expensive, many are much more expensive and these last forever! I've had mine for about 3 years and they're still in perfect condition! I bought plastic ones previously and they were torn and unusable within one semester or school!! with the same amount of weight in them!!

Moral of the story....don't buy the plastic ones!!!

Good luck with your storage!!!

Great! it sounds like something I can learn from and maybe attempt an lapghan! LOL

It's going on my xmas list.. my daughter wants to buy me something like it..so I am going to suggest this one.

Thank you!!

I've checked it out from the library a couple of times and I also think it's a very good book. If you look at the customer images on Amazon you can get a pretty good idea of the contents.

This is what I put my yarn in when I am working with it. Dh drilled 4 holes in the top. It locks and keeps the yarn nice and clean.

NewYearsToy.gif

This is some of the places I keep my yarn and thread.

th_8x6Stash004.gif(clickable)th_6x8Stash001.gif

I keep my current project in a tote bag so I can tote it, and rubbermaid bins store my yarn by color. Notebooks with page protectors for pattern sheets and storage boxes with lids to store pattern books. LOTS OF STUFF!!

This is what I put my yarn in when I am working with it. Dh drilled 4 holes in the top. It locks and keeps the yarn nice and clean.

NewYearsToy.gif

This is some of the places I keep my yarn and thread.

th_8x6Stash004.gif(clickable)th_6x8Stash001.gif

WOW!!! awesome pics!!! I love it!! thank you!!:cheer

I use a non-Vera Bradley quilted bag to carry my current WIP in. If it's too big for that, then i put it in a decortive basket that has a lid in the living room. Too big for that, and it goes to one of those giant Ziploc bags.

I miss the Le Bag from the 80's :) That was PERFECT for a WIP. Unfortunately, if you get one secondhand, they kinda smell bad.

I haven't tried this, but if you have a lot of stash taking up room, I wonder if those space bags would work? You know, suck the air out and make the whole package smaller?

It does if the bags aren't defective. One bag i got didn't work from the start. Others worked for a few days or weeked, but let air in. If you get bags that will STAY flat, they'd be great!

I've been knitting & crocheting for about two decades, so I've accumulated a bit of yarn and a few books. ;)

We have a queen-size Ikea bed, and I can fit six low plastic boxes under the bed. Both my daughter and I collect yarn, though, so we also have a box or two in the attic. I do have a bookshelf for my books now, as I have a few dozen, but when I first began, I kept them between book-ends on my bedroom dresser. I keep my hooks in a fabric roll, and have rolls I sewed myself for crochet hooks, double point needles, and a purchased fishing bait-binder for my circular needles. These I keep, along with my WIPS, in a huge, Ghanian Bolga Basket purchased for only $25 at a LYS. This I move from room to room.

Bolga Baskets look like this: http://www.basketsofafrica.com/bolga.html

Crochet Hook cases look like this: http://www.pbase.com/beforesunrise/image/43560694

Tackle Binder looks like this: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-SHBTBL.html

We live in a double wide mobile home that we share with my inlaws. So space is not something I have. I recently went to a used furniture sale, from a local hospital and purchased a bed side night stand with 4 drawers for $10. I have all most all of my yarnin it. the rest is in a large totebag. My wip is on a table next to my chais, and for now my hooks are in a small cosmetic bag that was a freebe from a makeup company free gift with purchase. My books are in a portable storage box, and my free patterns are stacked on the computer desk, waiting to be put in plastic holders and a 3 ring binder. It is not much as far a space and organization as some have:drool, but I am glad to have it. I can get everything quickly, so that means a lot when I get the hankering to do it. Crochet I mean! Which is every night after coming in from work and classes.:book

I wonder what "le Bag" from the 80s is/was?

I love all these answers!! I am getting some good ideas from them all!

I'm surprise no one has really said that they crocheted a bag to keep all their stuff in!! LOL

well, right now (till tommorrow) the yarn is in 2 large garbage bags in my bathroom. But I'm buying one those 3 drawer rubbermaid bins so then I can see the yarn but the cat can't get them. Hooks are in hook holder, my wip are right now in a koolaid bag (all stitch together that I bought from a craft show) and lets see, under the end tables in the living room, on the washer, my bedroom, oh and I found some in my girls room hmmm.

I wonder what "le Bag" from the 80s is/was?

I love all these answers!! I am getting some good ideas from them all!

I'm surprise no one has really said that they crocheted a bag to keep all their stuff in!! LOL

I do have a crocheted tote bag that goes wherever I go.

It is my crochetville bag that was given to me by Mary Jo.

th_Augusttote08072008.jpg

Clickable

I have my stuff stored in about 4 different places. My books, hooks, and thread are on 2 shelves in the living. I have a small basket of yarn in the living room for yarns that are being using in my current project. My yarn stash is in my bedroom divided between a 2 drawer rubbermaid container and an eight cube open stack-able cube system. The rest of my buttons and this are in small containers on my book shelf.

Well, my yarn is kept in my 6 ft. long closet. Half the closet from floor to ceiling is full of yarn in space saver bags. Tonight I had to put yarn under my son's bed in a storage box and behind the couch. WIPs go in a 2 bin plastic shelving unit. Crochet patterns and magazines go into a 5 shelf bookcase. Hooks are kept with WIPs.

Basically, wherever I can hide stuff is where it goes.:lol

Archived