craft show prices, oh my!

First, the point was not "what would Bloomingdales charge for my crochet dishcloths?" The point is that if you're selling handmade work, the pricing needs to compare with that of higher priced stores/items - not baseline, value products at discount stores.

And to Super Granny, I'm not discussing what people can afford - there are all different kinds of people, and all different economic areas in the US. If a person decided that their target consumers were those in your area, they would have to make products for those consumers - as you stated, thrift store level.

I'm discussing the theory of handmade items pricing. Handmade items should be looked upon as high-end. They should be priced high-end. With the current economy, high-end is taking a big hit. I, personally, advocate doing one of two things - either 1) give away your work to loved ones and charity or 2) charge for it as a high-end item.

What I am not advocating is selling it for pennies per hour because it brings down people's expectations of handmade-item pricing, and hurts our industry as a whole. It should be that people look at handmade work and say, "That is high end. I expect to pay a lot more for that, because it will be better." Right now, people are saying, "A dishcloth for $5.00? I can get it cheaper at Walmart." I'm advocating a change in that line of thinking.

It can be done. What needs to happen is for people to look with honor and respect upon products that are personally produced by local people, rather than mass-produced in China. I say it can be done, because I see it done in my neck of the woods. One of the (numerous) markets in my area is the "local produce market." Not just vegetables, although it does include that. It is a market where local artisans come and sell their work - cheese makers, fudge makers, local sheep and cow farmers, plant growers, chocolate makers, sweets makers, jams and bread makers, card makers, and other craft workers. People come early and stand in lines to buy from their favorite local producers. And, it's expensive - just like it's wholesome and local. It's a matter of reshaping thinking about handcrafted goods.

miss crochet you are so correct but super granny you are right. many people (including myself) shop in thrift stores, its a hard time for people, its either you have the money or you don't. Also, here in ontario, (I'm across from detroit) we have the compition problem too, because in 15 min, I can drive to the states and get a better deal than buying something here. Kilikina, since you are in wales, maybe in your neck of the woods you can charge higher prices, but were I come from you just can't. I sell and make homemade cards, I sold 41 cards at 2.00 dollars a piece, but I can't charge more for them because people are just not willing to spend more, now others in other parts of the country can charge 5.00 dollars for their cards and people don't even bat an eyelash, so in the end it depends where you live.

It can be done. What needs to happen is for people to look with honor and respect upon products that are personally produced by local people, rather than mass-produced in China. I say it can be done, because I see it done in my neck of the woods. One of the (numerous) markets in my area is the "local produce market." Not just vegetables, although it does include that. It is a market where local artisans come and sell their work - cheese makers, fudge makers, local sheep and cow farmers, plant growers, chocolate makers, sweets makers, jams and bread makers, card makers, and other craft workers. People come early and stand in lines to buy from their favorite local producers. And, it's expensive - just like it's wholesome and local. It's a matter of reshaping thinking about handcrafted goods.

The American economy, as a whole, cannot afford to do what you've described. People here generally aren't standing on lines in local markets waiting to pay more for their food, they're standing on unemployment lines and food pantry lines. :( While I'm sure there are people who are more well off, they aren't the ones walking around at craft shows, so the $5 dishcloth still won't sell. Add together the money spent on making the crafts, time, gas, show fees, etc. and at the end of the day when zero sales were made, one is out a pretty penny for trying. I personally would not try to sell my work, but then I'm not standing on the food pantry lines either. If I were, I might very well be making and selling what I could for whatever price I could get. A $1 profit is fantastic when you don't know where your next meal is coming from.

I understand what you're saying because the Farmers'/Local Produce Markets in Ireland were a hugely popular during our economic boom. As soon as the economy took a hit, their popularity took a hit as well. How they will fare in the coming months remains to be seen: if you have to feed a family of five, you have to make decisions based on quantity for money, as opposed to quality for money. In general there needs to be a complete rethink about buying locally, not necessarily handcrafted goods, but generally supporting industries that produce within the locality, as opposed to importing from God-knows-where. Do you really need Moroccan strawberries in September? Do you have to have bottled water from France?

However, in terms of selling crocheted goods, specifically: there is a big difference between e.g. candle, card or soap making and crocheting. I have done all of them for craft fairs. In the case of the latter three, you set yourself up and you make ten or twenty at a time. You can't do that with crochet: you work on one piece at a time and it takes DAYS... WEEKS... MONTHS. Unfortunately while you can try to charge prices that reflect the amount of time you've spent on the item, you might find it difficult to sell it because it is - for all intents and purposes - a practical work of art and when times are tough, art and culture are the first to be cut from the budget. You might still be able to sell a few lower-budget items like cards or candles (but I know that even that is really tough right now) but a $50 baby blanket or a $200 afghan at a craft fair? I don't think so... So, yes, crochet for the love of the craft but let's forget about getting rich on it, haha.

Yes, that was my point, craw and misscrochet. I advocate EITHER giving it away (to loved ones or charity and benefit someone out of kindness) or sell it high end. Just don't cheapen it. If my only option is selling it for pennies, thank you, I will, rather, benefit from the joy of knowing I'm helping someone.

Are things in the US so bad right now that people (generally) are standing in food lines?? :O

Location, location, location. That is the big key to marketing handmade, WELL-MADE items. If you live in a very small town and the craft fairs don't really offer or cater to higher-end items, then you will not be able to receive the higher-end prices your work deserves. However, if you do make higher-end items, and they are well-made, then maybe you need to look at different venues to market your items. Look at craft fairs in larger cities. Even if you don't sell there right away, attend one and look at the items being offered that are comparable to your workmanship. What sort of prices are they charging, and in the end, receiving? Also, look at the quality of the work that is offered. If you make a plain granny square afghan and want to compete in a market where one-of-a-kind pieces of artwork are the norm, you most likely won't be receiving the higher-end prices the others are fetching. Now, I'm not saying that granny square afghans can't be artwork. I'm just saying that not all crochet, or handmade items for that matter, can be deemed artwork just because it's handmade.

If you know your work is high quality and yet you don't have access to the higher-end markets or craft fairs, look into selling your wares online. Etsy is a wonderful place to look. Browse around and look at the work that is offered and the prices they charge. If you don't believe in or highly value your work, then why do you expect others to believe in or value your work?

I've seen terrible looking items at craft fairs that won't sell, sometimes because in all honesty, WalMart things look better. Then I've seen beautiful items that won't sell because of the high prices.

In this economy, with WalMart as competition, its a gamble. It all depends on who's buying. DH comes from a tiny, poor town in the mountains of eastern KY. There is a little crafts center (or rather, they call it an 'arts center') and some of the more 'well to do' people will drop LOADS of money on hand-woven rugs and baskets, crochet and knit afghans and clothing, hand made furniture. Take the VERY same items with the same prices to a large well-publicized crafts fair, and not one item would sell. I hate to say it but sometimes, I think its luck!

Thats one of the reasons I would never try to sell what I make...I wouldn't know how to price it (what its worth to me, profit margin vs. what I think it would actually sell for). And, the biggest reason, I don't want something I enjoy so much to become WORK.

Yes, that was my point, craw and misscrochet. I advocate EITHER giving it away (to loved ones or charity and benefit someone out of kindness) or sell it high end. Just don't cheapen it. If my only option is selling it for pennies, thank you, I will, rather, benefit from the joy of knowing I'm helping someone.

Are things in the US so bad right now that people (generally) are standing in food lines?? :O

NO, we are not all standing in food lines-( so we won't all be immigrating back in your direction!) fun money is in short supply but unless you are buying/selling a house or live in Michigan the economy is not THAT bad

gasoline prices are way down and the cost of winter heat is projected to be lower that last year

i live in a semi Rural town of 15,000 ( in Wyoming) we seem to be doing ok( now if i could just sell my house in Nebraska :()

I'm not yet but yes, many are. My sister's family, as an example, has been receiving food from neighbors, a local church, and my mom. She will soon be losing her house - and if she doesn't make some very important decisions quickly - all the equity in it. She's been pounding the pavement looking for work for months and nothing. She's a skilled professional. She's not alone. There are articles everywhere in newspapers and magazines on "how to do without" or DIY. The general buzz around town is "I can't afford it" so hey, we do without. I'm fortunate that we still meet our bills but with businesses closing everywhere, who knows. There's nothing extra and there used to be not that long ago. By extras I mean "can we afford that roast that's on sale for half price for dinner?" Nope because we put the food money in the gas tank. :lol From what I've been reading it stands to get much worse before it gets better.

I'm just saying that not all crochet, or handmade items for that matter, can be deemed artwork just because it's handmade.

In case I didn't express myself properly: no, being handmade doesn't necessarily equal "artwork". But in terms of the time you invest in creating it, crochet is similar to sculpture or painting - as opposed to e.g. candle making or another craft which can produce a higher volume of items in a shorter period of time.

I may be the wrong person to ask about this yes dishclothes and blankets don't take much time to make if basic..

but yarn does cost money and my time is not free

when I thought of selling my wears and other things I work on by what you say I am over priced but I would hope people would pay they because it is my only source of income.

One thing that does matter is the location of the sale. If you are paying a premium price for a table, then prices should be higher so that you can at least break even.

The sale I was at recently had knitted dishcloths for $1.50 and the dishtowels with the hangers for $2. I thought that was really too cheap, but the lady making them said it keeps her busy and doesn't really care about making money. She was a widow and this was something that gave her pleasure in the evenings.

It really boils down to what you want to do. Things can be too high and no one buys them, or too cheap and you just break even. There's really no real formula for your time and patience on each project.

:manyheart

I haven't read all the threads on here so if someone has said this, just ignore me...

but, most knitters use LYS yarns. I don't see many hand knit sweaters using RH. I just went to a new LYS here last week and a normal WW yarn was at least $10 a skein. How many skeins does it take to knit a women's sweater? I've never made one, but I'm thinking about 5 or 6 or so. So if you get cheap LYS yarn, that's $60 + tax just for the yarn.

In case I didn't express myself properly: no, being handmade doesn't necessarily equal "artwork". But in terms of the time you invest in creating it, crochet is similar to sculpture or painting - as opposed to e.g. candle making or another craft which can produce a higher volume of items in a shorter period of time.

Oh yes- I totally agree with you. My point was just in general- just b/c someone spent a lot of time creating something, if it's made poorly, or it's not asthetically pleasing, or it's not something that people really want, then that item will not be worth the higher prices other products are. It's like American Idol- so many people go on that show thinking they have talent b/c their parents/friends didn't have the heart to tell them the truth.

Everyone has made valid points, and I don't think the last word can ever be said on this. The discussion has just reinforced my own decision to never, ever crochet for money. I go to work everyday to earn, and I crochet for fun. However, for those who wish to sell, I think the most practical option is to work on commission.

Somebody mentioned a lady who has built up her business by word-of-mouth recommendations. So, make one gorgeous item, give it as a gift at an occasion like a shower, where lots of people will see it, and then when you are asked if you take orders, quote a price that is fair to yourself - I feel this might work as a starting point.

I've only ever sold ONE thing... and that was just last month... it was a hipster bag about 8"x8" in Patons SWS I got with a coupon... I sold it for $20... used 3 skeins and a button with snap from my stash from long ago... it was a commission for a friend and she would have paid me $35 but I said $20 was fine... she has asked me to make her 3 thread bookmarks and will be paying $5/each for them...

I live in southeastern NY on the border of CT and the area is upper-middle class-ish... average income in most of the area meets or exceeds $100K... I wouldn't ever sell my items at a fair because I would be afraid of either over or under-charging the consumer... I am hoping that word of mouth will get me some commissions and the prices for whatever they are will be negotiated before I start them... I am HOPING anyway lol...

I know that many parts of the US are suffering :( and people aren't able to get the amount of money that I BELIEVE handmade knitted and crocheted items are worth... it's an awful shame when the quality is so superior to the assembly line made that is offered at the locals stores (Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) My heart goes out to everyone feeling the hits in the economy... I just hope it gets better fast!:hug:manyheart

**these are my opinions and I hope not to have offended anyone with my comments. :hug

Those prices do seem pretty outrageous.

I'm having a craft show next Saturday (Nov. 1). I am charging $1.25 for a simple dishcloth and $2.00 for a fancier one. For the hotpads, $2.00 each. For a baby afghan, $20. Scarves, $6.00 for a simple pattern, $8.00 for a fancier one.

Do those prices seem reasonable?????

You are selling your stuff too cheap. What does a skein of yarn cost you for a dishcloth? What if you only sell one, you are in the hole already.

A simple baby ghan for $20.00 is okay, but if it is complicated at all, go $5 - $8 higher.

Be careful of selling yourself too cheap because people won't think your quality of work is good if you sell yourself too cheaply. I learned this the hard way.

You will always have those who will grumble about your prices "because Aunt Martha can make me one of those" - like she ever will :lol

Reading through the rest of these posts there are some very valid and very interesting points being made.

For a long time I have been doing a local craft show and will again in Nov. I live in a very rural area and there are few jobs available. Big plants have been shutting their doors and things are getting pretty tight.

So, I have to gear my items to the practical side. What do people look for at a show?

What can they buy from me that is affordable for them and still makes me a little money?

I know I can't do my regular items this year (sweaters, afghans) because people aren't going to be able to pay the prices, yet they still want to buy something.

My suggestion is to look at your area, what is your economy like? Make things that are easy, with low supply costs. I'm doing more baby things this year and inexpensive ornaments. I still have a few sweaters & afghans to put out, but I won't be disappointed if they don't sell.

Good luck to all of you this year!!!

Archived