Need idea(s) for neighbor

I've been going through hard times lately, my 6-year old son was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago, and a lot of hardships have steamrolled in the aftermath. Anyway, less than a year ago we got a new neighbor who has been so sweet. She is always sending over dished of food for our family. I thought about baking some cookies and sending them over, but since she is such a wonderful cook already I'm afraid I really wouldnt do them justice.

Yesterday was my other son's 5th birthday and we spent the day busy (not celebrating) anyway, she knew this - and today she sent over a cake complete with a cute #5 candle. I was so touched!

Anyway, I really want to do something to reciprocate, and today I thought I could make her something. An afghan would probably take me too much time, I would love to make her one, but I want something a little more immediate. I thought about quilting her something, but I dont know...

I also thought about crocheting her some washcloths, potholder, etc... since she obviously likes to spend time in the kitchen, but I dont know if that's too cheesy...

If not, I would like to find some interesting coordinating pattern sets.

Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas - I would LOVE to hear them. Thanks for listening!!

I don't think a pretty kitchen set would be too cheesy. There are some great patterns under kitchen at Crochet Pattern Central. The other option would be something specifically for her like a bath puff, wash cloths, etc. If you thread crochet, an angel ornament or doily?

Joyce

I don't think a pretty kitchen set would be too cheesy. There are some great patterns under kitchen at Crochet Pattern Central. The other option would be something specifically for her like a bath puff, wash cloths, etc. If you thread crochet, an angel ornament or doily?

Joyce

I agree that is some really pretty patterns out there for set in the kitchen!:cheeror even tissue covers maggie crochet has really pretty pattern sets too.

What about a set of Placemats in white or ecru cotton (they would go with anything)?

A simple single or half double crochet would work up quickly.

If you are spiritual/ religious you might consider a prayer shawl. Smaller and easier than an afghan but just as snuggly and thoughtful. This neighbor sounds like a lovely person.

I think there are already a lot of ideas here and you may have already decided on one of them, but I just thought I'd mention a jar lid cover and then you could put something inside like a special cocoa mix. Or maybe a crochet casserole pot topper to match her kitchen which could be very quick, or perhaps a grocery bag holder. There's several quick ones on CPC. I think I saw one that was a lady with a bonnet. And I must say what a lovely a special neighbor you have!!

Because she seems to do a lot of cooking, she probably does a lot of shopping. I think a nice string bag for shopping might be nice. If you want something really economical, you can always crochet a market bag from plastic bags (plarn). There are several patterns on the net. A very easy pattern that I have used, using single crochet, Is to make a chain the width of the bag you'd like, then crochet back and forth until you have 6-8 rows. Now instead of going back and forth, you would go along the sides as well making 3 sc in each corner and continue working upward, no longer increasing the corners, until it's the height you'd like. To make handle, crochet a chain the length of a handle, and sc back and forth about 6 rows worth, make another one and sew or slip stitch them on and voila. Even thought this won't cost you anything, I'm sure she would appreciate all the time and effort you would put into it. It is a little time consuming to cut up all those bags. You might need close to 50 bags. I posted a picture of it last year on this site.

I hope you're healing well. What a struggle to go through, with little ones to raise besides. :hug.

I like the kitchen set, or the bathroom set ideas...so many possibilities and ways to make a set. The casserole cosy is a great idea too.

to add an idea or two, maybe your kids would like to get in on a gift...there's a cute craft for a recipe card holder...basically you find a decent looking plastic lid (like from laundry soap, or use a yogurt container, what-have-you) fill it with playdoh (homemade...just the flour and water dough works well) and shove the handle of a plastic, or thrift-store find, fork into it. Let the dough get hard. You can glue pictures to the lid to make it pretty. (I remember making something like this for mothers' day as a kid). you can also brush a glue/water mix over the pictures to seal them in, kinda like decoupage. That would fit nicely with a kitchen set.

you could maybe even add a food themed bookmark for her cookbooks. Add all your creations to a gift bag or a pretty basket, and you're good to go.

HTH

And please, take care of yourself. Blessings to you.

I think a kitchen set is a great idea. I would stay away from a food item or a mix.

An angel would be very sweet if you could do one of those since she sounds like that is what she is for your family. I second the idea of including her in some of your family activities. Is she an older woman? I ask because I was wondering if she lived alone. If so she might like the company.

I found the pictures of my plarn bags. The tan one i used a G hook and it came out the size of a purse, I used a J hook on the white one and it came out the size of a medium tote, I'm probably between a tight and medium crocheter. I think I started with a chain of 45 stitches and made 6 rows before I went around the sides and then upwards. For a larger tote, perhaps you can make 50 stitches and perhaps do 8 rows before going around all 4 sides and upwards.

100_0616.jpg

100_0615.jpg

100_0614.jpg

100_0613.jpg

What a sweet blessing your neighbor is! If you would really like to make her a afghan, the 5.5 Hour Afghan really does only take a short while to make. It does not have to be made in this particular yarn either. Maybe it's what your looking for:

5.5 Hour Afghan (link)

Also, everyone adores the Magic Potholders I make for them. I usually make 3, two for grabbing and one for a hotpad and then make a couple of matching thread dishcloths. This pattern is my favorite in the single crochet:

POTHOLDERS

Archived