Have you ever been teased/insulted for crocheting?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a lot of grey already, got a rocking chair and eight grandchildren. Does that mean I am "allowed" to crochet?

People say crazy things. Without knowing your grandfather I coudn't say whether he really thought only old ladies crochet or he was just trying to get under your skin — something I've seen a lot of men do to women very deliberately. They enjoy getting someone "fluffed up" as my daddy calls it. Only you can make that call and even then it might not be right. I would definitely be very cool about it and ignore him if it starts again. Over the years I've found that to be the only halfway effective way to stop a teaser.

I have been teased by my fiance but ignore it because I know that he loves my work and actually last weekend I went into Jcpenney's optical and asked the lady about contact lenses and she noticed my hat I told her it was crocheted and she said yeah I noticed it and she said she loved it I told her I plan on selling my work and she said you should that made my day

I got made fun of all the time. I have been crocheting for 26 years or more. I was in my early 20's and people would always make a comment that was something old ladies did in their rocking chair. A lot of times people were interested and would make a comment that their grandma crocheted. I ignored the comments because I loved to crochet and still do. I never did get the association of senior citizens and crochet. I thought everyone could crochet at any age group. The past 5 years is the most that have felt like I fit in because every age group, even men are crocheting.

Well, I started crocheting in earnest after I read about Prayer Shawls. I made six of them to send to the Hospice that took care of my mom. Dad liked that.

When dad was dying two years ago I began a shawl for him while sitting in the hospital. My sister asked what I was making and laughed at it when I explained what it was (don't tell dad you're making his 'shroud' etc) She didn't get that I had made shawls for my two BOYS (shawls are only for girls right?).

Well, after about 20 minutes of watching me crochet she said that her kids would like those for Christmas.

So, the following Christmas I sent them for her two daughters. About 6 months later we were all meeting at a vacation time share and one of her daughters had brought the little purple and pink blanket I made her.

My sister does not laugh at me anymore .....

If I didn't know my husband doesn't have a brother...

If he's not calling it crotcheting, he's calling it knittin'...and he calls Crochetville 'Crotchetville' when the kids aren't around:devil

Silly man:manyheart

Must be the same family!!! Mine does it too!

He calls me granny when I'm crocheting also.

I come from a long line of crocheters and my 29 yo. twin nephews just saw DD's new hat and asked if I can make beanies for them.

I'm 46 and been crocheting since I was 9. No one ever made fun of me thank God cause it would have ruined all the fun I've had making things.

That's too bad. I'm teaching my 9yo now and started teaching my 24yo when she was around 7.

It's such a cool hobby. You did good to just ignore it. You go girl!

My cousin, who knits, said crochet is tacky, but then was amazed that a round ripple I'd made for my mother was crocheted instead of knitted. Mostly everyone is supportive, especially my DH and in-laws. I'm making SIL some placemats upon request, plus my niece a requested afghan. DH wears a cap I knitted him, plus a scarf that I crocheted on a double-ended hook.

As for the productivity or needing to make money with it argument, that seems silly because, as others have mentioned, many people's hobbies consist of watching TV, drink at bars, play video games etc. for hours on end--not exactly industrious pursuits!

Archived