Have you ever been teased/insulted for crocheting?

Today my husband & I Were in the car with my grandparents. My grandfather had to ask what was in my bag I said my crocheting. He said you are not taking that into the doctor's office are you? I Said yes there is no rules saying I can't crochet in the doctor's office. So I started crocheting in the car. Trying to ignore him.

Then my grandfather started insulting me (And all crocheters) saying they needed to buy me a gray wig and a rocking chair. I knew where he was going with that. I instantly told him crocheting is not just for old ladies because kids, young women, and men crochet. He of course had to keep on insulting me. I just ignored him.

Has that happened to anyone else?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only really been insulted once and that was about 20 years ago when I attended a seminar on starting a business with your craft...the "teacher" verballed expressed how she felt I wouldn't have a good business because there were already enough "toilet paper covers and bed dolls..." two things I don't even crochet...

Other than that, basically my work's been accepted and admired. Although my sister wasn't very supportive for several years, she did try to not hurt my feelings...and now she actually likes my work...

Teased? No, not really...even if someone doesn't really care for crochet, most people have been at least polite about it. I don't get too offended just because crochet just isn't someone's cup of tea...

I cannot believe how rude some people can be, although with your grandfather he was probably thinking he was just teasing you and that he meant no harm...but he kept it up and that's the part that bothers me.

My MIL is over 80 and she seems to have the attitude that if I work at crocheting, card making, sewing, whatever and not trying to make a buck off of it, then I'm wasting my time. I've never had anyone insist that I'm a grandma (even when i was crocheting in my teens and 20's) and that I needed a rocking chair...my MIL admires my work, however, it's her personal viewpoint that hobbies and interests that can't be translated into money are a waste of time...and she's not alone, my grandmother basically feels the same way...part of that is because of their age and what they went through in their lives...they grew up in the Great Depression era...

But tease me or insult me about crocheting...no, they don't do that.

I believe that people who insult others that do meaningful things have lots of growing up to do. Would they like it if you made fun of something they loved doing? I love my crafts. I take my crocheting and knitting everywhere I go. Especially at the doctors, train, and all places where there is a waiting period.

I have noticed that some people look at me 'funny' as I'm crocheting. Too bad. It passes my time and I create beautiful things (or at least I try ;)).

Some people find it enjoyable to try to make themselves feel bigger by attempting to make others seem smaller. They only show how small their thinking is.

Any sort of ridicule shows this sort of small-mindedness and ill will.

Needle guilds seem to be full of people who encourage others to go their own way, create in new ways, and support each other in being multi-faceted, decent, generous, and help us all to have a larger frame of reference.

Sorry your grandfather didn't take the high road. It always hurts when someone close to us makes wrong choices. :hug

Sending you dear thoughts!

Am up way too late, or I'd write something more. :hug

I'm closing in on 50 y/o and I've had a few coworkers make unnecessary comments when they do see my crocheting in the form of an afghan for a friend, or my water bottle holder. They say things like, "Is that all you have to do? or Isn't that for old ladies?"

But then there are those coworkers who really, really want me to make them a large round ripple to match their living room and yet have absolutely NO IDEA the time involved in making one!

Teased yes. Insulted no.

Some friends of my dh's have teased me about it before calling me a grandma (I'm 24) but they were only poking fun and actually think some of the things I have made are pretty neat. I think I turned them around when I crocheted some things in Camo! lol

Yes, I've been teased about my favorite hobby, I love doing and I dont give a flying flip what other people say. I wear my hats all the time, and some of the men at work, say oh your wearing your granny hat. And my remarks are, I'm a Tieta "granny", and I'm very proud of it, and I look really good to be a Tieta. And too bad this Tieta is not going to make you one. And I have others tell me they just love my hobby, and that I should be selling it. So peception of those who say mean things about what I do, I dont care, what matters most to me is, those who I chose to give my blood and sweat too. And they are always very thankful that I took the time to make it, then go out and buy something.

Velvet

I beat my lot to it by saying that "I am going to put on my granny outfit and play with my crochet for a while" - leaves them nothing else to say! :bounce

Yes, the looks I have gotten, even after saying that men crochet too. I told them about drew the crochet dude and how he is such an awesome designer, they were like well Ill have to look that up on the internet, Like I was making it up. Whatever, I dont care, let them be miserable and jealous,lol. I LOVE what I do and make!

I have never been teased or insulted. A few have told me that they admire my talent. I had stopped crocheting for awhile, and one of my sisters (the one who appreciates my gifts) told me she misses my dolls that I make for her, so I had better start it up again, which I did!

I have gotten teased although it doesn't bother me much if they call me grandma because I kindly point out that when they want something it's THIS grandma that they are going to turn to. Then all they can do is agree. Plus I have a niece who does a lot of reading and she tends to come to my defense of how people who crochet and knit tend to stave off alzheimer's...lol It's pretty cute to have this little teenager coming to my defense.

Last year I was chilling out and crocheting in a friend's dorm room, and his friend stopped by. The friend said "did you make that?" in reference to the afghan panel I was working on, and I almost flinched because I thought he was going to lay into me with the usual granny jests. But no. I answered "yes" and he proceeded to rain down praises. I was flabbergasted! He called my work "impressive" and told me all about how he knew a lady who made awesome knit items.

I was surprised because the bulk of late teen and 20 year old guys (as well as girls) don't understand why crochet is useful and fulfilling. It was a good experience to hear him say those things. :)

There were a couple of times where I have felt somewhat hurt with what people say about what I enjoy doing. Once was a few years ago when I was working at a college and I was crocheting an afghan for myself when an older co-worker gentleman told me how it was a waste of time when I can buy a blanket at walmart for much cheaper than I can buy yarn. I ignored him but was still insulted. Another was from my mother, who was the one who taught me how to crochet. I am 30 and a stay at home mom for a 2yr old boy now and crochet is what I do during my son's naptime. I was showing her some of the things I made and was very proud of. Some things were for my son, for sale, for me, for gifts, etc. She asked me how much time I spend crocheting each day. I replied with about 4-5 hours during tyler's naptime and after he goes to bed. She responded with "don't ignore you son and live behind a hook" I really didn't understand what she ment but I didn't like it. I am happy with how i choose to spend my day. I keep a clean house, make trips to the park, exercise once a week and do what I enjoy in the downtime. I have nothing to complain about so I don't know what she sees wrong with my daily routine.

I really don't think your grandfather ment any harm by refering to you as an old lady. I have made the same reference to myself before.

I have been teased a little. Mostly from family members joking about my crocheting so much lol...but mostly it's in fun, & not to be mean. I think if someone continued with it like that, it would bother me especially if they were not "friendly teasing". You can tell the difference, if someone is just having fun with you or if they are trying to be insensitive.

I compare my crochet to any other hobby. Everyone has a hobby or something they use their spare time to do. If your grandfather likes fishing, or golfing, you could make a comparison to HIS hobby. If dh says "you are making another purse? How many do you need?" (& laughs)... I will say "well, you played golf last week, do you not want to go play golf again next month?" :lol

Or if one of my sons says "do you ever get tired of crocheting?" I answer with a question like "do you ever get tired of listening to your ipod?" His music/videos are a hobby, & crochet is mine.

Sometimes someone will tell me I should just buy a blanket at Walmart instead of spending so much time to make one. But what is the fun of that? LOL...

As far as the age thing...I am 48...not exactly a granny YET but getting closer. I have had senior citizen ladies, in their 60's or 70's tell me in public that they wish they'd learned to crochet (or knit if they don't know the difference).

Golf is sometimes thought of as as an "older man thing", retired men mostly but even young women & children play golf a lot now. Schools have golf teams. I wonder if they dealt with similar issues when golf was spreading out & transitioning to more demographics than than retired men & Drs on their day off?

There are stereotypes in a lot of areas. You can educate those that genuinely don't know & for those that are just being mean, ignore them or turn it around to show them why their comment makes no sense. Those types see only one way, their way.

Hubby and I have a standard text "What're you knitting now?" "It's not knitting!" :lol

I am luckily surrounded by uncrafty family, who happens to be extremely impressed and appreciative of the things I make for them. Latest thing was a bolero for my 12YO DD; she wore it to school and had to call me at work as soon as she got home to tell me how everyone at school couldn't believe that HER MOM made her that awesome top! :c9 I made a giant granny afghan for my sister and a Shawler for my mom, and they both talk about and use 'em all the time. Makes me feel good.

I guess I should consider myself luckily that I haven't come across anyone that thoughtless yet; but when I do, they better look out! :yes:devil

Yes, I get teased all the time. My hubby like to play Poker once in a while and I will take my crochet with me while he plays cards, I have been called a granny and told I need to get a life.:( The way I see it, better to be crocheting than drinking myself silly at the bar. When I first started, hubby, dd and her bf all laughed at me. dd's bf is my biggest fan next to my hubby, who has seen what a long way I have come in my creations and always praises me for my talent. I love my crochet and I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

Archived