Have you ever been teased/insulted for crocheting?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have actually been insulted - I mean, the intention was to insult, though the actual words weren't rude, per se. For example, things like: "Have you nothing better to do with your time?" (from a person with no hobbies bar watching TV, to boot!) or "Oh my Gaaawwwd! I didn't know people still did that type of thing!" or "Isn't that what grannies do?"

Men seldom insult or even comment on it, I guess because they might be slightly more in awe of the craftiness of it or just of the sight of a woman crafting away. Women tend to be either more supportive or more derogative, funnily enough. In the latter case I think it's just ignorance, as any insults (well, more like put-downs than insults) have come from women with no artistic talents or ability to create anything themselves. Compliments come from people who can create and appreciate the craft.

The closest anyone has come to teasing or insulting me was when I was crocheting a ninja for my sister and counting stitches. I didn't realize I was counting out loud and a co-worker asked me what I was doing and if I needed to count while doing it. I said, "I'm crocheting and counting is how I keep track of where I am in the pattern." He left, still chuckling, and I lost my place. >_< He was probably more amused with the fact that I was counting out loud, though, than the fact that I was crocheting. Most people are either just very curious or impressed by what I'm doing.

I have gotten teased although it doesn't bother me much if they call me grandma because I kindly point out that when they want something it's THIS grandma that they are going to turn to. Then all they can do is agree. Plus I have a niece who does a lot of reading and she tends to come to my defense of how people who crochet and knit tend to stave off alzheimer's...lol It's pretty cute to have this little teenager coming to my defense.

Say, that's awesome. I had no idea my favorite hobby staved off Alzheimers!

I've had supposed good friends dismiss my crocheting and knitting as "a waste of time." Needless to say, she hasn't gotten any handmade gifts from me. My other friends are very supportive (and they all love the afghans) :lol.

The thing that really annoys me are the people who think crocheting is the b**tard cousin of knitting, and that knitting is the next evolutionary step. I happen to enjoy doing both, and don't think one is better than the other. Like comparing cats and dogs...each is just different, not better or worse.

Also, it annoys me when a) LYS employees turn their noses up when they hear you crochet, rather than knit, and b) people assume that you can't crochet certain things. you know, like, "Oh, no! You can't possibly crochet (socks, sweaters, tops, etc.)." Yes, we can!

You bet I get teased! Im 23 and people want to act like Crochet/Knitting is for old people or something. I have stories, but if I started on that track I'd be typing ALL day. If people call me "old lady" or "granny" ect, I just say "you won't say that if I made you something to curl up in" usually shuts them up

When I was in high school and my dad happened to see me crocheting, he would say in a high, squeally voice, "knit one, purl two". I continually reminded him that I was crocheting, not knitting, to no avail. I have been teased in an "all-in-good-fun" manner but never in a feeling-hurting, insulting way.

I just don't understand how people can think of crocheting (or knitting, or any other handiwork for that matter) as "a waste of time" when these same people are probably sitting on the couch watching Reality TV... ;)

My whole English family was teasing me about it when I went home last year (I was 24). They kept saying things like "need your rocking chair granny" or "ready to go to an old folks home". Then each night my younger brother 19, and my older brother 26 went down to the club to play BINGO! I was like..um pot calling the kettle much!

I have had people tell me I have too much time on my hands when they see some of my stuff, but other then that I have never been teased. I like taking my stuff to work with me to work on during breaks because alot of people will ask me about what I am making now.

Insulted? Teased? No. But once, before I had kids, I was crocheting and someone asked me if I was "expecting"...granted, I was married, and it WAS a layette...but it was only the first few rows of the sweater, so it didn't look like anything yet. And no, I wasn't "expecting". The poor guy was embarrassed, but I was nice about it. I am aware of that stereotype afterall :P

Sorry you (OP) had a bad experience with your grandfather.

I have been. By my mother with I was 13 and 14. I made blankets for all my cousins and was making baby blankets as well. She'd always have a comment on my work how "Your stitches look wrong" but I'm left handed, so it looked how it SHOULD look considering. Or "the holes are too big, that's not going to keep anyone warm, start over" etc. I just let it roll off my back and gave the gifts to VERY appreciative people who never said a word about the look of the stitches or the size of the holes (meaning the pattern and how thick it was)

My mother also does no crafting of her own. She sews every once in awhile but not often.

Other than that, just let it go, whether they meant the insult or not isn't important. What's important is that YOU love what you are doing and are putting in a HUGE effort to make someone else happy with a gift (or just something for yourself!) :)

I come from a family of crocheters and lovers of handmade items, I never got store bought gifts from my grandmother, always something crocheted or sewed. I loved them all & as a matter of fact still have most of them! When I first started crocheting, people(mostly inlaws) would tell me I have too much time on my hands or look down their noses at any handmade items. After hearing the comment of "how many blankets does a person need" and seeing my stuff given away that I had made for specific reasons-birth of babies etc. I basically quit and have just now gotten back into crochet. I decided I'm going to do what I love and if other people don't understand or appreciate it, oh well :P

Teased, Definantly!! I've been teased about crocheting my whole life but I've never been insulted. I could have easily been insulted quite a few times but I'm not gonna let what a few people think ruin something I totally enjoy no matter what.

Thanks

Julee

I just don't understand how people can think of crocheting (or knitting, or any other handiwork for that matter) as "a waste of time" when these same people are probably sitting on the couch watching Reality TV... ;)

Here...here! :lol

I don't get it, either.

I can think of a lot of things that I'd deem "a waste of time" (definitely reality TV), but the bottom line is that whatever hobby people enjoy doing that gives them happiness shouldn't be called a waste of time. I should never judge them and they, in turn, should never just us crocheters.

:eekI have a friend who hates it when I crochet in the same room with him. He calls me grandma (I am 56m am a nana) He also says it is not done in polite society. I ignore him.

ellen

My mom made fun of my skills (she doesn't craft) until my grammy (a 60+ year crocheter) said my work was beautiful. Now she loves everything I make, even the blanket she made fun of years ago. My boss makes fun of me, but I don't think he's mean spirited about it. And I always have a come back.

Sorry that your grandpa doesn't understand. I would have told him since he has gray hair already maybe he should be doing it instead. :)

I get teased sometimes but it's all in good fun. Most people are just curious as to what I do. I can't recall anyone being out right mean about it. My hubby calls it crotcheting. LOL

I own a very old wooden rocking chair and it's my favorite spot to sit and work. I could care less if someone thinks this is too grandma for them or not. :D

Sore

My kids ask me all the time if I can crochet quieter. They tease, but they all LOVE what I make for them.

Usually I am making things for others. I hope they realize some day how much it blesses me.

It also gives me something to do with my hands. I used to smoke.

Well, i haven't had any mean comments that i can remember. just my sister one time said that "it's something that little old ladies do, and it's too danity" We're indian, (or pick your own word......aboriginal, native, first nations........) She's a wood carver.

I just blew it off. I enjoy crocheting, and sharing my work with others. Usually i get a comment when i'm crocheting in public, people will ask what i'm making, and of course "ask what I"m knitting" lol Sometimes someone will come up and ask about the pattern or stitch, and say that they crochet too.

Oh yeah. For some reaon the sight of me crocheting draws all the bubbleheaded girls from the cvollege down the road, scolding me about how crocheting stes back the women's rights movement and how its sexist stereotypical women's work...

My burly leatherclad thug buddy offered to learn so we could go do it together. (I usually crochet in a local park... its so nice and quiet there, and supah prettyful in fall)

My hubby calls it crotcheting. LOL

Sore

If I didn't know my husband doesn't have a brother...

If he's not calling it crotcheting, he's calling it knittin'...and he calls Crochetville 'Crotchetville' when the kids aren't around:devil

Silly man:manyheart

If I didn't know my husband doesn't have a brother...

If he's not calling it crotcheting, he's calling it knittin'...and he calls Crochetville 'Crotchetville' when the kids aren't around:devil

Silly man:manyheart

Funny! My husband calls it all those things too. :D

Archived