Have you ever been teased/insulted for crocheting?

I have only been truly insulted once. I was crocheting at my in-law's house one day and my MIL's SIL made some comment about old ladies and knitting. My eyes about popped out of my head. I looked at my husband and he just looked back at me as if to say, "please don't say anything." I'm not old nor was I knitting at the time. Other than that everyone around me is usually pretty envious of my skill. My DH totally supports my yarn addiction. My mom & dad love it because my grandmother (who passed away 2 years ago) crocheted and she taught me. My MIL doesn't understand it but thinks its cool. And, my SIL wants to learn.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not been teased or insulted (at least not that I know of) for my crafting. When I take my projects in public I usually get a few oohs and ahhs and the "I wish I had the patience" comments...

I haven't read all the posts, but I've seen that some have suggested maybe it was in jest that your grandfather said these things... but in my opinion, if that were the case he would have stopped when he saw how it upset you.

Some people feel the need to belittle others so that they can feel better about themselves. I've known people like this, sometimes it helps to talk to them about it, sometimes it doesn't. For the ones that don't "get it" then you just have to distance yourself from them. I know with your grandfather this may not be so easy or even possible. He IS family after all... Maybe if you talk to your grandfather about how hurtful his comments are he will understand and either apologize, or at the very least keep his comments to himself. I'm sure he loves you, he just needs to understand how hurtful his comments are...

When I was at the farmer's market working in my booth one weekend a man pointed out another "crotcheter" to his wife and daughter. It was all in good fun, and I just laughed and said "what can I say, just a happy hooker."

Normally when people see all my stuff they are amazed at how much I have made, and I just tell them "apparently I have to much time on my hands." They laugh and I can then talk to them about how it is a great hobby and that I can do it while I travel or watch TV. It is a great icebreaker.

I made a hen sitting in a nest to cover a plastic easter egg. This is something I was ASKED to make by figuring out a pattern from a photo. It turned out perfect, and the gal I wrote the pattern for was very happy with the final product. I was told by a fellow crafter (albeit she knits only) that, and I quote her "I would NEVER make that...I don't see the point." To which I replied it was nostalgic, kitschy and a cute "spring" decoration. To which she answered me that she wouldn't waste her time making something so useless. The 4 other gals at the table told her it was cute and useful and she was being rude. I ignored her ultimate insult. One man's trash is another's treasure, so we can agree to disagree....and besides...who cares what she thinks?

• 1 month later...

I haven't been harshly teased or insulted per se...but sometimes you can tell by some people's attitude or body language that they "don't get" why I do what I do. But that's on them. I don't get other people's passions or obsessions either and that's on me...

I crochet while I'm at work at the front desk of the hotel here, so a lot of people see me crocheting, and I have never been teased or insulted. In fact, it's just the opposite, usually people are really impressed by whatever I'm working on.

Since I AM technically at work, I try to only do smaller items while I'm on my shift. I'll usually work on a snowflake or a doily or something like that. Since most doilies are fairly intricate (even the simple ones look complicated to the untrained eye), I have had all KINDS of positive reactions ranging from "wow! that's really beautiful!" to "I don't know how you do that! It looks IMPOSSIBLE!". One young guy who was checking in told me "my grandmother crochets too (I was shocked he didn't call it knitting! :lol), but she only knows how to make those square things. She couldn't do anything THAT pretty!"

And DH brags to everyone about my work, and has even run upstairs to our apartment to get things to show to people! He's my biggest fan! :hook

Happily, no. One of my fondest memories of my father is one day I was at my parents working on a quick baby sweater. He said in what sounded to me like admiration and awe, "When you got here that was just a piece of string. Now look at what you've got." I was in my mid twenties, just learning, when he died, but I always felt proud of my work. Thanks, Dad.

My reply to insults is "You think i have too much time on my hands? I'm SO glad YOU took TIME out of YOUR BUSY DAY to inform me that I'M the one that has too much time on MY hands."

Seriously, i figure if someone's telling me that i have too much time on my hands because i crochet, then that person has way too much time on their hands to insult people.

Gray haired old ladies in rocking chairs :think? When I hear that I say "I'm I going gray? I hope not." I learned to crochet at age 10 (11?), but gave it up for awhile. Really got into it in my teens/early 20's and I haven't stopped since (I'll be 48 in Feb). Most people just ask what I'm making. Yeah, I get a few strange looks, but who cares.

Ellie 13

P.S. I got a child size rocking chair for my 2nd B-Day and I've loved them ever since (when I visit friends/family I always sit in a their rockers :lol).

Ooooh yes, my very own 91 year old great-grandmother came to visit and as I sat crocheting one evening, she informed me that she never could just sit "that long" as she always had too many things to do. In her own little way, even at her age, she had to get a "dig" in. It hurt my feelings at the time, but now - when it comes to crochet & playing with yarn - I really don't care what people think. It makes me happy - now if only I could finish all that I start! lol

oh yea I have heard the 'just sit there that long' comments, but then I am very OCD so when I get to getting I get things done and 'sitting that long' is impossible to me without something in my hands to keep me busy and sane! so my SO appreciates it when I come and sit in the living room and pick up my handwork because he knows I am making the effort to stay in there with them and not run around doing things!

Funny! My husband calls it all those things too. :D

My DH calls it "yarning". He'll tell the cats and the dog, "Leave The Mommy alone, she's yarning and you're NOT helping!" :lol "The Mommy" and "The Daddy" are our pet names for each other when we're talking to the furkids. :) Geesh, reading what I just wrote, it looks like he and I are developing an entire language all our own! :lol

No telling what people have thought or said without letting on to me, but my experience here lately has all been positive. While my husband takes phys therapy for a shoulder operation, I sit and crochet in the waiting area. I've had more people make conversation with me about it. I've also had two tell me they crochet too. Just wish I had someone close to me to share it with. Overall, positive feelings.

I had a friend (sorta) who said her brother -n-law said all crocheters he knew were lazy and had broad butts. She apolized to the other friend because that didn't apply to her and just left me setting. Quilting could be my thing like it is hers and I would still be built the same way. At this time crocheting is good for me and rewarding and no one can ruin that for me.

Have you noticed how most people who think we "hookers" have to much time on our hands, typically think a relaxing evening is sitting in front of the television, just staring?

ummm, yup! There is no way I can sit with idle hands and watch TV...

oh yea I have heard the 'just sit there that long' comments, but then I am very OCD so when I get to getting I get things done and 'sitting that long' is impossible to me without something in my hands to keep me busy and sane! so my SO appreciates it when I come and sit in the living room and pick up my handwork because he knows I am making the effort to stay in there with them and not run around doing things!

I know how that is...I can't sit still without a hook in my hand. There's never anything that engrossing on TV that would stop me from sitting with my DH and :crocheting I think in my case it's ADD:lol

Today my husband & I Were in the car with my grandparents. My grandfather had to ask what was in my bag I said my crocheting. He said you are not taking that into the doctor's office are you? I Said yes there is no rules saying I can't crochet in the doctor's office. So I started crocheting in the car. Trying to ignore him.

Then my grandfather started insulting me (And all crocheters) saying they needed to buy me a gray wig and a rocking chair. I knew where he was going with that. I instantly told him crocheting is not just for old ladies because kids, young women, and men crochet. He of course had to keep on insulting me. I just ignored him.

Has that happened to anyone else?

Luckily I haven't been insulted...and I do take a bag with crocheting when I take my 91 yo FIL to the doctor. I would go out of my mind without it! I can't sit still...it's either :crocheting or read (and the old people - not me:lol- in the waiting room talk too loud for me to concentrate on a book)

You didn't say how old your grandfather is, but I have found that in working with the elderly that at some point they lose that "filter" that filters things people wouldn't normally say. He probably didn't mean to insult you, so don't take it personally.

Archived