Why are you "hooked"?

:yesWhat makes you a crochet addict? :crocheting

I have always said it was my needlework that kept me sane while I learned to be a wife and mother. Through eight years of a husband who worked full time and went to college nights and Saturday mornings too, my crocheting kept me company and was my only activity outside of housework and raising three kids. Dad wasn't there because he wanted to get those degrees to give us a better life. And money was not available for me to go bowling or spend time outside the house.

I also took up knitting during those first years and found another outlet. If it had not been for my hooks and needles I think I would have been on a therapist's couch. :yes

When my husband went through his midlife crisis I accomplished learning to knit Irish sweaters ( which are less complicated then men at mid-life! ). :laughroll

And my needlework became an art form to me as the years passed and hubby was then working overtime and going on business trips climbing his way to the top. Now, the kids are grown and off on their own. Hubby is retired and doing "nothing". And I am still loving my artwork :hook and could not survive without it. :wink

What's your story? :ccompute Do tell, please.

It's all Mom's fault :lol

Many years ago, when I was still in elementary school, Mom came to me one summer and said "Look, Santa must have hid these and forgotten about them." These were two cross stitch kits, both no-count. I did those and later, while at a store, saw the little ones that can be done as ornaments. I bought them because they were cute. And didn't realize they didn't match the other 2 I'd done, and didn't have the pattern stamped on the fabric. I figured out on my own how to do that, and it actually ended up pretty centered. I don't know how I started, but I do remember I didn't locate the center of the fabric and pattern like I learned later on :D

Anyway. I've done several cross stitches and I ran out of people to give them to. So I decided to try something different. I was debating between knit and crochet and decided to go with crochet, only 1 hook! I bought a Susan Bates kit and taught myself how to crochet. And one of these days, I really need to take a picture of the placemats I gave Mom for Christmas that year. None of them are the same size! So see, it's all Mom's fault :D

I learned as a kid making potholder with my grandma while we were camping or with my other grandma when we couldn't get out to do outside things. I dropped it for a while and picked it up just shortly before I got pregnant with my dd (Think subconsciously I knew?)

I've LOVED it ever since. I love that its a fairly inexpensive hobby (at least compared to dh's hunting!) and that it is actually useful. I can make things we need around the house or things to give as gifts. I like having a creative outlet and crochet is the best because you can do it virtually ANYWHERE!

Dh is always complaining when the weather is bad and he can't get outside because that is where most of his hobbies are. But I can just pull out some yarn and my hook and I'm happy. I can take it with me in the car, waiting at the doctor, inside, outside, and I always have it handy to take when I go to visit the Inlaws! :lol And most of all it helps me to relax and unwind.

Blame it on my grandmother.

We lived with her when I was 7, and she taught me to crochet to get me to shut up. ;) I would watch her, enthralled, and I was full of questions. So she gave me my own ball of yarn and hook and taught me the basics. I only lived with her for less than a year, but I managed to learn all the basic stitches - chain, sc, dc, hdc, trc. I caught on pretty quickly.

I stay hooked because I love the feeling I get when I make something. When I take a ball of yarn and a hook and actually make someTHING out of it. Something useful, something pretty.

I always seem to go through periods when I just don't have the desire for it. But those periods never last, and I always come back to my hooks and my yarn.

I wouldn't be ME without it.

When you cook a meal, it's eaten up in 10 minutes. When you dust and vacuum a room, it just gets dirty again. Clothes you just washed, dried and folded end up back in the laundry basket before you know it. In the midst of repetitive chores, crocheting is always something new, creative and lasting. That's what's kept me at it for over thirty :eek years!

Well, in my case, it was teenage rebellion...

My mother felt that knitting was far superior to crocheting, so she taught me how to knit. I managed to produce a few misshapen scarves, but wasn't thrilled. However, my aunt's housekeeper was a crocheter. One day, while I was over at her place, admiring her afghans, she taught me the basics of crochet. My first crochet project was a Christmas stocking made up of granny squares. I don't know what rot-gut cheapo yarn I used, but the thing had the feel and consistency of a brillo pad. I produced a few things after that, but I always crocheted way too tightly, so everything I made could double for body armour. :think

It wasn't until a few years ago that I decided to take up crocheting again. I had an odd, spiritual awakening in Walmart one day when I passed the craft section--I felt compelled to buy yarn and hooks. This time, I got on-line and began learning about different stitches, gauge (finally, I learned to fix my tight crocheting by moving up several hook sizes), patterns, etc. I've also taken up knitting again, but crocheting is my favorite. :crocheting

And that Christmas Stocking? I still hang it up every Christmas... :wreath

Blame it on my mom also. I kept bugging her to teach me, she would say no you are not ready yet so I stoped asking . Finally at age 17 I asked again, she said yes and taught me the basics. She was so proud when I surpassed her and used to brag about what I was making. The only time in the past 41 years that I have put my hooks down was when carpal tunnel got so bad I couldn't hold the hook. I had the surgery on both hands 3 months apart, picked up the hook and haven't looked back. So thank you so much mom, I really miss you. :hug

I had done counted cross stitch for years, and had been sewing since I was a child. I tried to sign up for a community ed class on knitting, but all they had open was quilting. I took that class and loved it, but still wanted to do knitting. I wanted something that was more productive than just pretty, and also portable. I went to our local Joanns and saw that they had a class in crochet and the rest is history.

The world, and life, is chaotic. Crochet is order.

Getting older, I've wondered what do I have to show for my life? Yes, I have a son, and I served in the Air Force for 20 years. But after 9 years or so of work, reading, watching tv and surfing the internet, I was feeling like I wasn't really contributing anything. When I took up crochet again last year, the first thing I did was make an afghan for Project Linus. And I've started a group in my church, all crocheters at the moment, and we've made prayer shawls and comfortghans for those in our church family, and Project Linus.

So for me, it is about giving back, and having something to show for my time here on earth.

For me, it started with my grandma. She taught me crochet - a way to communicate with her deaf granddaughter who was 6 years old at that time. I still remember the lessons vaguely.

I didn't crochet or knit (for that matter) until I made a friend who used to be my camp counselor. I saw her crochet a granny square. That's what my grandma used to crochet all the time. I asked her to teach me again. That's in 1997.

In same year, I received a granny afghan that was felted (by accident) made by my grandma. My cousin doesn't care for it as she couldn't remember our grandma.

From there, I decide to crochet to keep the tradition in my family. :)

I learned at the age of 8 at the hands of my brother's girlfriend at the time. Her family was awesome and I was sorry to see them leave our family (they broke up eventually before they were to get married). I made only Barbie clothes at the time and lost those in what was the equivalent of a bad "divorce" from my brother after my mom died. I picked crocheting back up about five years ago and haven't looked back. I went from knowing very little to challenging myself more and more and for me, it's seeing the end result and making someone happy. I find that more people appreciate handmade than anything.

Joyce

When I took up crochet again last year, the first thing I did was make an afghan for Project Linus. And I've started a group in my church, all crocheters at the moment, and we've made prayer shawls and comfortghans for those in our church family, and Project Linus.

So for me, it is about giving back, and having something to show for my time here on earth.

I do agree...I love making projects for our local Project Linus. I also do scarves for the WWII Museum "Knit Your Bit" campaign (they have crochet patterns as well). My LYS also has a basket where they collect baby things for hospitals (blankets, hats, sweaters, preemie blankets, etc.).

I've always wanted to learn more of the womanly arts. They contribute so much to the coziness of a household, and crochet has contributed in real ways when we *needed* slippers or hats or washcloths or dishcloths.

Crocheting helps with feeling productive during idle times~like when I was in bed all summer due to injury, or like when I feel guilty for watching a TV show!

I love that I feel like I will always be growing in skill~there's always something else I could learn to challenge me. I also am in awe of how many things I can make with crochet~the array of patterns is absolutely AMAZING!

It feels sooo good to create something to give as a gift for my loved ones, because I hope they will feel the love just for them that went into it.

Basically, it just makes me happy. ~smile~ (((((HUGS))))) sandi

ETA that YES! As a SAHomeschoolingM it is also a much-needed creative outlet. Even though we live in the inner city, sometimes I can feel pretty secluded.

Archived