I'm a proud Mama :-)

Hey all, I'm just bragging here, but I have no one around who'd understand and I know you will.

A few months ago my 7yo dd asked me to teach her to crochet, so I we attempted it and the going was a little tough. She had kind of given up until last night when I dug out the first blanket I ever crocheted (six trapezoids, I mean squares sewn together for my stuffed animals) so we could both giggle over it. She's a perfectionist and was frustrated last time that her stitches weren't as nice as mine, so it was nice to be able to show her that I used to be not so great at it either. Last night she asked me where her yarn was (I gave her a bright varigieted ball of RH Soft Touch), and not only did she remember the chain and single crochet stitches, her stitches are so much more even and clean than the last time we tried! I made a big deal out of it and you could tell she was really proud. It might stick yet! Then the problem will be funding two yarn stashes!:yay:yay:yay:hook

you should be very proud of her, when i was teaching crochet lessons at joanns we had summer camp and there were 4 kids in it, 1 who was like your daughter 7 and then the restr were like 10 or so, the older kids really didn't seem to enjoy it but the younger girl wanted to learn in the very best way possible. she struggled a bit at first and then she was off and running, i ran into them at the grocery store and she told me she was making everyone something for christmas in crochet , she loved it, i am soooo happy your dd does too, you did a great thing there teaching her how to do it, my own dd was like that also but once she caught on she was off and running like your little one. way to go mom give yourself a high five:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap i bet she is proud of herself also, tell her i said congratulstions and keep up the good work:hug:hug:hug:hug

I know just how you feel--I finally have a child (my third) who likes to crochet and it is so fun to see her creativity and enthusiasm. Although, as you pointed out, there is the other matter of funding a second person's yarn habit... :crocheting

Congrats!!!

My 3 1/2 year old likes pretending to knit with a cheap set of circulars I have for her...can't wait till she takes a bit more interest in the crochet. She's already got a yarn fixation though:lol

Congrats!!!

My 3 1/2 year old likes pretending to knit with a cheap set of circulars I have for her...can't wait till she takes a bit more interest in the crochet. She's already got a yarn fixation though:lol

LOL, so cute! I've been waiting for years for her to take an interest (I didn't want to push her) so I was pretty excited when she asked. I was seven when my mom taught me. I hope you get the chance to teach yours, too.

That's great! WTG, Mom and Daughter!

My mom taught me at more or less the same age as your daughter, and when she visits we sit there crocheting and gossiping. It's definitely a good bonding thing. Except now at 43 and 77, who do you think is funding the stash? LOL, good thing I have 2 jobs--that woman can crochet up a storm.

Patty

Way to go daughter! Although, this could work out in your favor.

Her: Mom! I wanna make that blanket. I need 6 things of yarn. Can we go to the yarn store this weekend.

You: If you can earn it, we can go. The yarn will be your payment. You need to vacuum the living room, do the dishes every night this week and clean your room.

:lol

Her: Mom! I wanna make that blanket. I need 6 things of yarn. Can we go to the yarn store this weekend.

You: If you can earn it, we can go. The yarn will be your payment. You need to vacuum the living room, do the dishes every night this week and clean your room.

Ha! I like that one. ALSO it gives an excuse to go to the yarn store!

Congrats on your daughter crocheting. I tried to teach my son, he wanted to learn but I'm just no good at teaching it.

Hmmm, good idea, I could use that!!

Congrats on your daughter crocheting. I tried to teach my son, he wanted to learn but I'm just no good at teaching it.

I'm finding that I have to tke it slow, and don't overload with information. Only tell them what is necessary, if they need to know more they will ask.

that is wonderful that the guys want to learn too sooo many think of it as a womans thing, but men actually were the ones who invented crochet , sailors who wanted their knots to work and for the sails at least that is what i have read don;t know for sure but i believe it is the truth, either way way to go teaching young men to crochet also. one time in my class the girls brought their boyfriends and they were saying how easy it looked so i had extra hooks so i gave them one to try and boy were they frustrated until i showed them how it was really not that hard once they got the idea of it the boys did better than the girls and the sad thing with that was they were freebies , the girls are the ones who had paid for lessons and the boys learned more , afterwards the boys thanked me and said they were going to keep it up i hope they did i really didn;'t mind the freebies cause i love crochet to much to charge when someone can't afford:hug:hug:hug

Aww That's great that she wants to learn more! Tell her she'll only keep getting better at it!

I'm glad I kept my first afghan to show my daughter how far I've come when she's old enough to teach. (She's only 2, will be 3 in January.) But she loves yarn to death. Helps me pick it out, has to touch everything I pick up just to "see" it. And she carts my skeins around the house like toys, stabbing them with my hooks whenever she can and then shows me her "blankets" she's making.

This is gonna sound strange I know, but im gonna say it anyways. Listening to everyone talk about how they taught their daughters to crochet makes me excited. I have a son who will be 18 in a couple weeks, so no interest there. But I know have a daughter who is only 4 months old; but I am hoping that when she gets old enough, I can teach her to crochet........

Archived